97-99 A6 Was this recall serious ?

Old July 22nd 04, 08:51 AM
Stuart

Default 97-99 A6 Was this recall serious ?

Recall 1997-1999 A6 for "free check for possible damage of the rubber
bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and, in
isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."

I have discovered that this free inspection was never carried out on my 1998
A6. They can't check it until next Tuesday, I have a long journey to make on
the following Thursday.

Does anyone know what the likelihood that this inspection may lead to some
serious work being required and hence jeoprdising my chances of using the
car a few days later.

TIA
Stuart

1998 A6 1.8T Auto UK

Old July 22nd 04, 03:19 PM
L. Mormino

I have a 99 avant and have never heard of this recall. Is it UK only? Larry
et...

Old July 23rd 04, 09:12 AM
Stuart

"L. Mormino" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I have a 99 avant and have never heard of this recall. Is it UK only?

Larry
> "Stuart" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Recall 1997-1999 A6 for "free check for possible damage of the rubber
> > bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and,

> in
> > isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
> >
> > I have discovered that this free inspection was never carried out on my

> 1998
> > A6. They can't check it until next Tuesday, I have a long journey to

make
> on
> > the following Thursday.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the likelihood that this inspection may lead to

some
> > serious work being required and hence jeoprdising my chances of using

the
> > car a few days later.
> >
> > TIA
> > Stuart
> >
> > 1998 A6 1.8T Auto UK

I found the orginal reference to this recall on
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/ in the car-by-car breakdown section.

When I made further enquiries with the dealer, they confirmed that this
inspection was outstanding for my car. The dealer just input the
registration to check the recall status, the reason that they did not
contact anyone before was because it was coming back as owner unidentified.

I wonder why they did not perform this check when the car was serviced by
the main dealer, simply inputting in the registration would seem a simple
admin task.

I cannot answer for your car, but I suspect it may be worth further
investigation.

Stuart

Old July 24th 04, 09:30 AM
Jesper Giovanni

In et,
Stuart > typed:

> I wonder why they did not perform this check when the car was
> serviced by the main dealer, simply inputting in the registration
> would seem a simple admin task.
>
> I cannot answer for your car, but I suspect it may be worth further
> investigation.

Here in Sweden i contacted my local Audi-shop a few months ago ´bout this,
and was told the recall would take place late summer.
Havent heard diddley squat yet...*hmm*

--
Gio
A4 Sedan Limo1.8T tt 97.5

Old July 26th 04, 12:12 PM
Stuart

"Stuart" > wrote in message
et...
> Recall 1997-1999 A6 for "free check for possible damage of the rubber
> bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and,

in
> isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
>
> I have discovered that this free inspection was never carried out on my

1998
> A6. They can't check it until next Tuesday, I have a long journey to make

on
> the following Thursday.
>
> Does anyone know what the likelihood that this inspection may lead to some
> serious work being required and hence jeoprdising my chances of using the
> car a few days later.
>
> TIA
> Stuart
>
> 1998 A6 1.8T Auto UK

OK, it is going into the dealer for the inspection tomorrow.
I will let you know the outcome.
Stuart

Old July 27th 04, 03:56 PM
Stuart

"Stuart" > wrote in message
et...

> "Stuart" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Recall 1997-1999 A6 for "free check for possible damage of the rubber
> > bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and,

> in
> > isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
> >
> > I have discovered that this free inspection was never carried out on my

> 1998
> > A6. They can't check it until next Tuesday, I have a long journey to

make
> on
> > the following Thursday.
> >
> > Does anyone know what the likelihood that this inspection may lead to

some
> > serious work being required and hence jeoprdising my chances of using

the
> > car a few days later.
> >
> > TIA
> > Stuart
> >
> > 1998 A6 1.8T Auto UK
> >

> OK, it is going into the dealer for the inspection tomorrow.
> I will let you know the outcome.
> Stuart

Had the inspection done today, no issues.
Unfortunately did not get any other information other than they checked the
ball joints.
Stuart

Old August 4th 04, 08:54 AM

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:51:56 +0100, "Stuart"
> wrote:

>Recall 1997-1999 A6 for "free check for possible damage of the rubber
>bellows of the front axle. The problem could lead to premature wear and, in
>isolated cases, to the failure of the bearing arm."
>
>I have discovered that this free inspection was never carried out on my 1998
>A6. They can't check it until next Tuesday, I have a long journey to make on
>the following Thursday.

I didn't know about this one - despite getting loads of Junk mail from
Audi!

M.

New 147 recall cupra Alfa Romeo 2 January 6th 05 12:58 PM
Vehicle Safety Recall Notification Doug Alfa Romeo 5 December 13th 04 11:02 PM
VW Passat Recall - Front suspension arm gbnews Audi 0 July 13th 04 09:33 PM
Product Recall 1995 Audi A4 B5 Kevin Truss Audi 1 June 15th 04 01:13 AM