'99 Explorer Sport Rear Wiper keeps failing

Old May 1st 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default '99 Explorer Sport Rear Wiper keeps failing

Every so often (6-8 months) the rear wiper on my 99 Explorer stops
working. I can hear the relay going in the back and I can also what
sounds like the motor engaging.
While it was under warranty I had no problem asking the dealership to
fix it. Now that it's not, I'm going to bother to figure out why it
keeps happening. It seems like it's a bad design for it to repeat.
I sort of think it has to do with some connection between the motor and
the wiper arm becoming worn or loose. Is it possible (I wouldn't rule
this out, personally) that slamming the rear door shut could do the damage?
Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks,
Ambrose
Old May 1st 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

It's a known problem. Try moving the wiper with the switch on. It
should come back to life. The motors develop a "dead" spot over time.

Old May 1st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Remove the rear wiper and spray a generous amount of WD40 into the
mechanism. That solved the problem for me about 3 years ago and the wiper
still works. Now if I could only get it to actually wipe the rear window and
not just half of it...

. net...

Old May 1st 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

In article >,
"zoti" > wrote:

> Remove the rear wiper and spray a generous amount of WD40 into the
> mechanism. That solved the problem for me about 3 years ago and the wiper
> still works. Now if I could only get it to actually wipe the rear window and
> not just half of it...

Thanks!I'll try that! I've had this notion that it's weather connected,
thinking maybe weather gets inside and shorts the connection.

You know, I had that problem too. I think it's the type of wiper.
Whenever I bought a new blade at an auto parts store, it never made
solid contact with the glass, but the Ford ones always seemed to work
fine, so now I just buy them from the parts dep't. at my dealership.

--
Remove "REMOVETHIS" from email address when replying directly.