CJ Dana 30 question

Old June 3rd 05, 02:39 PM
Timmy 4x4

Default CJ Dana 30 question

Are the stock axle ujoints greasable in a mid-80s CJ? Thanks.
Old June 3rd 05, 06:39 PM
Jeff Strickland

Yes. However, you should not have the stock axle ujoints after 20 years. My
only point being that it doesn't really matter anymore what came stock
because whatever you have has very likely been replaced at least once.

There are greasable and non-greasable ujoints that are available. There are
arguments both ways for and against both types. The greasable variety is
hollow, and the argument goes that they are weaker than the non-greasable
joints because they are hollow. However, the non-greasable joints can dry
out and experience that the greasable joints will not have because you can
make the greasable variety wet again if you bother to actually grease them.

The grerasable joints can have a zerk at the intersection of the joint, or
there can be a zerk on one of the ends, actually built into one of the
grease cups.

Old June 3rd 05, 07:39 PM
Timmy 4x4

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> Yes. However, you should not have the stock axle ujoints after 20 years.
> My only point being that it doesn't really matter anymore what came stock
> because whatever you have has very likely been replaced at least once.
>
> There are greasable and non-greasable ujoints that are available. There
> are arguments both ways for and against both types. The greasable variety
> is hollow, and the argument goes that they are weaker than the
> non-greasable joints because they are hollow. However, the non-greasable
> joints can dry out and experience that the greasable joints will not have
> because you can make the greasable variety wet again if you bother to
> actually grease them.
>
> The grerasable joints can have a zerk at the intersection of the joint, or
> there can be a zerk on one of the ends, actually built into one of the
> grease cups.

Thanks for the info. There are no zerk fittings on the front axle shaft
ujoints, therefore I can assume they were replaced at some point. btw, did
the stock ujoints have the nipple style zerk fittings, or the pin style
flush grease fittings? Thanks.
Old June 3rd 05, 08:21 PM
Jeff Strickland

I am not positive on this, but I seem to recall that the axle joints get the
zerk fitting in the bearing cup (the type that takes the pin fitting), and
the driveshaft joints get the zerks at the intersection. It doesn't really
matter though, the zerks at the intersection are protected well, and you can
get to them easily if the tire is turned out of the way.

Old June 3rd 05, 08:25 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://members.cox.net/rough-riders/...30/dana30.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O