Alfisti help needed.

Old October 14th 04, 08:00 PM
Paul Woodsford

Default Alfisti help needed.

My Alfa, Black 147 3 door 1.6 TS Lusseo was newly registered in Nov:2003.
Had it's 12,000 mile service last week and this morning came to a grinding
halt when the Cam Belt snapped.
Engine turns over but Camshaft doesn't.
No horrible sounds and was only travelling at 10mph.
Car now at dealers.
Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
Should I insist on a replacement engine or accept a rebuild? Should I insist
on a guarantee letter from Alfa/The Dealer if the engine is rebuilt?
Tearful Alfa owner''''''''''''''

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

---

Old October 14th 04, 08:27 PM
Catman

Paul Woodsford wrote:

> My Alfa, Black 147 3 door 1.6 TS Lusseo was newly registered in Nov:2003.
> Had it's 12,000 mile service last week and this morning came to a grinding
> halt when the Cam Belt snapped.

What a sod

> Engine turns over but Camshaft doesn't.
> No horrible sounds and was only travelling at 10mph.
> Car now at dealers.
> Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
> Should I insist on a replacement engine or accept a rebuild? Should I
> insist on a guarantee letter from Alfa/The Dealer if the engine is
> rebuilt? Tearful Alfa owner''''''''''''''

Good question. I can't see any real reason why a rebuild should be less
reliable than a new one. Also, I can't really see why either should affect
your resale value. I'd take what I can get IIWY

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 16th 04, 09:06 AM
Thomas Strandtoft

Paul Woodsford wrote:

> Anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
> Should I insist on a replacement engine or accept a rebuild? Should I insist
> on a guarantee letter from Alfa/The Dealer if the engine is rebuilt?
> Tearful Alfa owner''''''''''''''

If it had happened to my car, I would remove the head/top to
inspect for any signs of contact between pistons and valves. If
there were signs of contact, I would replace the injured valve(s)
and have the head compression tested. If the piston(s) had any
sign of damage, I would change them too. Also, I would replace the
crankshaft bearings, but that might just be me being hysterical?
If there was no signs of contact, I would still have the head
compression tested, just in case my eye missed something. After
reassembly, I would run a compression test on the engine.

Now, you could be so lucky that nothing made contact and the
engine just needs a new cam belt plus fixed whatever made the
cambelt snap. You could choose just to replace the cam belt and
then run a compression test on the engine. If all four cylinders
has the same compression, you could be okay.

Ask the shop what they normally do in a situation like this, and
ask all of the important questions like "how" and "why".. Ask them
to save the parts they replace, sound curious and interested in
how the parts look, it gives you a chance to check how much work
they actually did. When the car is done, have them run a
compression test while you watch, it takes roughly 5 minutes - all
they have to do is take out the spark plugs, fit a hose with a
manometer into every hole and run the engine on the starter. The
manometer then shows how much pressure each cylinder produces and
the results should be within 0,5 bar/7 psi in difference of each
other on a new engine like that.

As for the guarantee, I'm not sure how much you can get them to
promise, but do make them sign a letter that says that on october
this-and-that they got the car with a broken cam belt and now they
mean the car is okay again. Record the mileage too. They can't
promise you that the car will run trouble free for ever more, so
just get a letter explaining what they have done and that they
think it solved the problem. If later the car gets any related
throubles, that letter will be great to have.

--
Hygge..
Thomas

<http://www.carftp.com> - a library of car videos.
Old October 16th 04, 11:20 AM
Paul Woodsford

I might have a problem with Alfa warranty relating to a foreign body
damaging the bottom of the Cambelt cover leading to the cambelt failing at
12000 miles.
Originally the 147 had a shield across the bottom of the engine compartment.
My 147 registered in Nov 2003 never had one.
Can anyone, who registered a 147 1.6TS from Nov 2003 onwards let me know if
their car has such a shield, and where it was registered?

"I have seen the engine and belt.
Belt split lengthways and 1 half then split across. That was the noise I
heard. Then 5 of the teeth were stripped on the remaining half belt. There
is a hole in the bottom of the cambelt cover, but nothing within the cambelt
cover when removed.

I might be lucky. They intend to put a belt on and check compressions before
stripping head."

--
Paul.Woodsford
Remove **NOSPAM** to reply.

Hi Alfisti incom Alfa Romeo 11 August 30th 04 03:14 PM
Dear fellow Alfisti an MG question! p Alfa Romeo 5 July 29th 04 07:04 PM
Electrical advice needed? Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 12 July 28th 04 10:19 PM
Paint/Scrape repair needed in Reading/Basingstoke area Dave Sparrow Alfa Romeo 0 July 16th 04 10:08 AM
Alfa 164 Tyre Pressures - Info needed Tom Boltwood Alfa Romeo 5 April 30th 04 11:06 PM