Lowering the front Q's

Old January 5th 05, 12:31 PM
Aaron and Aimee Ness

Default Lowering the front Q's

I have a '70 Beetle I'm about to begin resurrecting after parking it for
almost 7 years(!). For now, I plan to use it as a daily driver, but I have
a '92 Pathfinder that will work during times that I'm doing specific
projects on the Beetle. One of the reasons I parked it was the right front
shock tower rusted completely off of the beam. I actually drove it like
that for about 6 months (and it didn't do too bad).

I plan to lower the car a little, mainly to close the gap under the fenders.
I would also like to roll on Empi-style 8-spokes, although I don't know what
widths or anything yet.

Can I get some expert advice on the best way to lower? Since I'm replacing
the beam, I was going to just buy one with adjusters in it. Is this the
best route, or should I be using drop spindles (or a combination of both)?

At what point will the wheels rub, and if I go with a 2" narrowed beam, will
this dramatically improve the situation? When they rub, is it from hitting
bumps (and the tire rubs the lip of the fender) or is it in the turns?

I also need input on where to buy. CB Performance sells new bare Puma front
beams with adjusters for $170 (I think stock width or narrowed are the same
price, but I'm not sure). Are these good quality, and will they bolt right
up? I've had problems in the past with aftermarket exhausts that were so
poorly made that they couldn't even be installed (purchased from a different
vendor), and I wouldn't want to run into an issue like that.

This got a little long, but I am looking for lots of info. Thanks for any
input.

Aaron
'70 Beetle

Old January 5th 05, 07:41 PM
Alan Nelson

Short answer.... Don't go with adjusters. Use drop spindles (add disc brakes
while you're at it). The drop spindles will maintain front end geometry and
won't play havoc with handling and alignment.

--
Alan Nelson
www.boatcop.com

Old January 6th 05, 12:22 PM
Aaron and Aimee Ness

Are the adjusters a bad thing, or is it their improper adjustment that
causes problems? It might be fun to slam it just because I can, on
occasion, and they don't add much to the cost of the beam, which I have to
buy anyway.

The ads indicate the drop spindles push the wheels out and the narrowed beam
pulls them back in. Is 2" sufficient, or should I go with more? How much
drop do I get with drop spindles? I'm guessing I need somewhere in the
neighborhood of 2-3" to make the gap disappear.

I want to be sure I don't have to basically go with bicycle tires under the
front once it's dropped, because I like to hang it out in the twisties
whenever I can (and they just look kind of silly).

I agree completely with the disc brake comment - the difference between my
Beetle and my former rotted-out '70 Ghia was pretty significant.

Aaron
'70 Beetle