What to set timing to with b303 cam?

Old August 20th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cameron

Default What to set timing to with b303 cam?

Hey all! In my efforts to pass Tn emissions I set the timing on my mustang
from 14-15 back to the stock 10. The '88 msutang has a b303 cam in it and
1.5inch headers. I got to thinking about it, should I have set the timing
back to the stock 10 since I have the aftermarket cam? What is the
recomended timing setting that I should set it to. It also has 3.73 gears
if that makes any difference.

Did I actually worsen my emissions a little bit by having the cam+headers
and a stock timing of 10? I have also passed emissions so it doesn't matter
if I make the car worse for the environment until next year :-)

On a side note the person I bought the stang from lowered it by cutting the
springs. I bought 4 springs for $15 from Orielly and me and a buddy spent
all day trying to get one on the front. What a pain in the a__. I wen tto
autozone and rented their strut spring compressors but they were way to big,
I looked at their coil spring compressors and they were made to go inside
the spring which isnt going to work either. I may be stuck paying some shop
to put these things on for me.

Thanks,
--Cam

Old August 20th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Lanson

"Cameron" > wrote in message
> Hey all! In my efforts to pass Tn emissions I set the timing on my
> mustang from 14-15 back to the stock 10. The '88 msutang has a b303 cam
> in it and 1.5inch headers. I got to thinking about it, should I have set
> the timing back to the stock 10 since I have the aftermarket cam? What is
> the recomended timing setting that I should set it to. It also has 3.73
> gears if that makes any difference.
>
> Did I actually worsen my emissions a little bit by having the cam+headers
> and a stock timing of 10? I have also passed emissions so it doesn't
> matter if I make the car worse for the environment until next year :-)
>
> On a side note the person I bought the stang from lowered it by cutting
> the springs. I bought 4 springs for $15 from Orielly and me and a buddy
> spent all day trying to get one on the front. What a pain in the a__. I
> wen tto autozone and rented their strut spring compressors but they were
> way to big, I looked at their coil spring compressors and they were made
> to go inside the spring which isnt going to work either. I may be stuck
> paying some shop to put these things on for me.
>
> Thanks,
> --Cam

put it back to 14-15, more HP.
screw emmissions. One school bus puts out 10,000 times more than your
stang.

Front springs are a bitch, takes 2 people, and all day.

Old August 20th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cameron

Lol, yeah I don't care about the emissions either but I need to know which
is better. I'm going to bump it back up to 14 for now but in a year
emissions time will come again and I'm wondering which will get me the lower
readings? On a stock engine bumping it up to 14 would cause the HC to be
higher. However, with my b303 cam I wonder if having it at 10 would
actually make it worse than at 14.

Old August 20th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jim Lanson

"Cameron" > wrote in message
.. .
> Lol, yeah I don't care about the emissions either but I need to know which
> is better. I'm going to bump it back up to 14 for now but in a year
> emissions time will come again and I'm wondering which will get me the
> lower readings? On a stock engine bumping it up to 14 would cause the HC
> to be higher. However, with my b303 cam I wonder if having it at 10 would
> actually make it worse than at 14.

That would be good to know. I do not know it.

Old August 20th 06, 07:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Richard[_1_]

"Cameron" > wrote in message
.. .
> Lol, yeah I don't care about the emissions either but I need to know which
> is better. I'm going to bump it back up to 14 for now but in a year
> emissions time will come again and I'm wondering which will get me the

lower
> readings? On a stock engine bumping it up to 14 would cause the HC to be
> higher. However, with my b303 cam I wonder if having it at 10 would
> actually make it worse than at 14.
>

> > put it back to 14-15, more HP.

I'm running my stock '94 @14 BTC without pinging on 87 octane unless i'm
deaf.

--
Richard

'94 GT 'vert
Under Drive Pulleys
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
High Stall Torque Converter
3:73 Gears
Gripp Sub Frame Connectors (welded)
FRPP Aluminum Drive shaft
FRPP M5400-A Suspension
Laser Red

Timing way off - replacement engine in '93 Accord KWW Honda 6 January 9th 06 08:29 PM
Timing 80 degrees off?!? Drink Jeep 13 January 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Ignition Timing: How Automated? Elle Honda 2 December 14th 05 03:06 AM
Mk2 Digifant 1 Timing gurus...need help Matt B. VW water cooled 6 November 30th 05 02:28 AM
1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement aarcuda69062 Dodge 0 November 17th 05 10:10 AM