2003 Caravan - Ignition malfunction

Old July 31st 05, 08:55 PM
Harkin

Default 2003 Caravan - Ignition malfunction

Yesterday morning the key wound;t turn. I tried flipping the key over and it
worked. Didn't really think anything about it until last night. The key will
not turn at all. I jiggled it, tapped on it and everythign else taht I can
think of to get it to work and nada. When I depress the brake pedal, I am
not able to shift into anything either. I do not remember if I could do this
or not without have the key at least in the acc position prior to yesterday.
I looked behind the plastic cover pieces for any type of short term
workaround but couldn't find any type of manual release or anything.

My guess is that one, or both, of the locking mechanisisms went to crap this
morning. Any thoughts?

Old July 31st 05, 11:03 PM
maxpower

"Harkin" > wrote in message
> Yesterday morning the key wound;t turn. I tried flipping the key over and

it
> worked. Didn't really think anything about it until last night. The key

will
> not turn at all. I jiggled it, tapped on it and everythign else taht I can
> think of to get it to work and nada. When I depress the brake pedal, I am
> not able to shift into anything either. I do not remember if I could do

this
> or not without have the key at least in the acc position prior to

yesterday.
> I looked behind the plastic cover pieces for any type of short term
> workaround but couldn't find any type of manual release or anything.
>
> My guess is that one, or both, of the locking mechanisisms went to crap

this
> morning. Any thoughts?

The wafer tumblers in the ign key cyl are worn out, replace the key cyl and
recode it.
You can et the key to turn by tapping on it with a heavy object while
turning it.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 31st 05, 11:37 PM
Harkin

I tried tapping it with a hammer while attempting to turn it but it didn't
help. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning and have it towed to the
dealer I guess. Anything else I can try?

Is this normal that they wear out after 2 years?

*********************************

Old July 31st 05, 11:55 PM
maxpower

"Harkin" > wrote in message
> I tried tapping it with a hammer while attempting to turn it but it didn't
> help. I will have to wait until tomorrow morning and have it towed to the
> dealer I guess. Anything else I can try?
>
> Is this normal that they wear out after 2 years?
>
> *********************************
> The wafer tumblers in the ign key cyl are worn out, replace the key cyl

and
> recode it. You can et the key to turn by tapping on it with a heavy object
> while
> turning it.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Assuming you dont have the wheels turned all the way to one side binding the
steering column thats all you can do, if you keep playing with it, it will
turn

Old August 1st 05, 03:55 AM
Harkin

I went back and tried again, and I was able to get the key to turn after a
little *convinving*. I'll take it to the shop in the morning. Thanks for the
tips.

Old August 3rd 05, 03:04 AM
tim bur

no steering lock on 03 vans so you can get them started by placing key near key
cylinder and taking the ing. switch off the other end and using a screw driver
to turn it on and start it up