Steering column bearing

Old May 5th 05, 03:22 AM
Mike Duane Jr.

Default Steering column bearing

Hi Everyone,

I replaced the steering column in my CJ with a factory tilt column but the
shaft bearing just below the steering wheel is toast. ANy ideas where to
get a replacement? I was thinking of trying to match up a sealed bearing as
a replacement, any thoughts?

Thanks!

Mike D.
85 CJ7
Old May 5th 05, 03:54 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Many times the GM tilt is loose because three bolts have loosen:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 5th 05, 01:16 PM
JimG

I got my lower from Quadratec, I think 4WD Hardware has them also.
http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old May 5th 05, 10:08 PM
Lee Ayrton

Your local parts jobber would be a good start, it is an off-the-shelf GM
assembly. There's two sets of ball bearings and races, the one you're
talking about below the signal light switch and one at the bottom end of
the column tube held up with a plastic doughnut and wire C-clip. If
you're doing one...

I replaced both of mine a couple of years ago, so they are readily
available.

Old May 6th 05, 03:26 PM
Greg

What are the signs they need replacing? Ever since I got my 81 CJ 2 years
ago, there is a rattle type feel while going down the road and over bumps,
had all the steering from engine down checked 3 times, and they can't find
anything, I never thought about it being in the column, but now that I think
about it, when I drive it I feel like the if pushed on the steering column
would move, but it doesn't, just that's what the rattle type vibration feels
like while driving.

Old May 6th 05, 03:39 PM
Mike Romain

Your column has a u-joint just under the brake reservoir. These get
sloppy over time. A local suspension shop will cut that out and put a
greaseable one in for something like $150.00 or 175 if I remember right.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 6th 05, 04:08 PM
Lee Ayrton

IANACertifiedAutoTechnician, so take any advice I offer with a grain of
salt. The top one in mine might not have needed replacing but I was in
the middle of a ground-up rebuild and thought "Do it now? Do it later?
Do it now? Do it, aww fark, do it now while it is apart." The bottom
bearing is exposed to a lot of road crap and of the three 1970s CJ's
I've hand my hands on the bottom bearing was shot and the balls gone to
hell on all of them, with the plastic retainer doing all the work. On a
SWAG, if you can grab the steering shaft U-joint and wiggle the shaft in
the column tube I'd replace the bearing.

Old May 8th 05, 03:27 PM
Mike Duane Jr.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their info and hopefully I'll get this
thing back together shortly. Thanks again!

Mike D.
85 CJ7

Noisey VUE Scout Saturn 5 January 16th 05 12:59 AM
Steering column grinding / squeaking noise when turning right Ed Jones VW air cooled 2 January 2nd 05 10:45 AM
scirocco steering shaft bearing nutso fasst VW water cooled 4 December 29th 04 02:14 AM
'66 Steering Upgrade .boB Ford Mustang 1 December 21st 04 06:25 PM