OK to remove thermostat?

Old May 13th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default OK to remove thermostat?

Will it harm anything if I remove the therrmostat for the duration of the
summer?

My goal is to make the engine run cooler to extend the engine life. This is
in reference to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine with
168,000 miles. The gasket is an o-ring that is part of the thermostat, so I
will make my own gasket to fit around the thermostat housing to prevent
leakage. Thank you.

Old May 13th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BobJ

J wrote:
> Will it harm anything if I remove the therrmostat for the duration of the
> summer?
>
> My goal is to make the engine run cooler to extend the engine life. This is
> in reference to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine with
> 168,000 miles. The gasket is an o-ring that is part of the thermostat, so I
> will make my own gasket to fit around the thermostat housing to prevent
> leakage. Thank you.

The engine is designed to run at a specific temperature to
achieve the most efficient operation. No thermostat may
make it run too cool and you'll be using a lot more gas,
which in itself is not good for the engine. Although there
are cases where no thermostat will allow the coolant to run
thru the radiator too fast and NOT get cooled sufficiently..
The best thing you can do to extend the engine life is
change the oil/filter every 3K or so
Old May 13th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
idbwill

Will run cooler, gas mileage will might/might not drop a few mpg's and
it won't have any heat, but thats all.

Old May 14th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

J > wrote:
>Will it harm anything if I remove the therrmostat for the duration of the
>summer?

No, but it won't do you any good.

>My goal is to make the engine run cooler to extend the engine life. This is
>in reference to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine with
>168,000 miles. The gasket is an o-ring that is part of the thermostat, so I
>will make my own gasket to fit around the thermostat housing to prevent
>leakage. Thank you.

The engine will run cooler only when it starts up, when you want it to
heat up. It won't run any cooler during long hot drives, when the thermostat
would be open anyway.

This will not extend your engine's life, it will only reduce your gas
mileage because it will take longer for the engine to come up to temperature.

If the engine is running hot, find out what is causing it to run hot and fix
it. If the engine is running hot, taking the thermostat out will not cause
it to run any cooler.
--scott
Old May 14th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"BobJ" > wrote in message
> Although there are cases where no thermostat will allow the coolant to
> run thru the radiator too fast and NOT get cooled sufficiently..

With all due respect, this is a myth. There are, on some designs, reasons
why
removing the thermostat may detract from cooling, but speed of flow through
the
radiator is definitely not valid.

Old May 14th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On May 13, 6:32*pm, "J" > wrote:
> Will it harm anything if I remove the therrmostat for the duration of the
> summer?

Yes.

> My goal is to make the engine run cooler to extend the engine life.

What you are proposing will likely shorten the life of the engine
because it will never reach proper operating temperature.

> This is
> in reference to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine with
> 168,000 miles. The gasket is an o-ring that is part of the thermostat, so I
> will make my own gasket to fit around the thermostat housing to prevent
> leakage. Thank you.

Is this a solution to an overheating problem? If so you should fix
the cause of the problem.

Old May 14th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On May 13, 8:26 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> J > wrote:
> >Will it harm anything if I remove the therrmostat for the duration of the
> >summer?

> No, but it won't do you any good.
>
> >My goal is to make the engine run cooler to extend the engine life. This is
> >in reference to a 1994 Chevrolet Corsica with a 6 cylinder engine with
> >168,000 miles. The gasket is an o-ring that is part of the thermostat, so I
> >will make my own gasket to fit around the thermostat housing to prevent
> >leakage. Thank you.

> The engine will run cooler only when it starts up, when you want it to
> heat up. It won't run any cooler during long hot drives, when the thermostat
> would be open anyway.
>
> This will not extend your engine's life, it will only reduce your gas
> mileage because it will take longer for the engine to come up to temperature.
>
> If the engine is running hot, find out what is causing it to run hot and fix
> it. If the engine is running hot, taking the thermostat out will not cause
> it to run any cooler.
> --scott

Modern thermostats are not bistable like the old ones. It is not just
full open or full closed. Modern cooling systems do a good job of
holding engine temp at a specific value. However, I agree with the
idea of fixing any overheating problem properly. If there is not an
overheating problem, don't monkey with it.

Old May 14th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Walsh[_3_]

I can give you some information assuming that yours is the same as my 1992 Beretta was. The 195 degF thermostat opening temperature is comparatively high and, considering the tendency to overheat, it might seem like a good idea to make it run cooler. (I blamed the overheating when sitting in traffic on the fact that the cooling fan covered only about 2/3 of the radiator.) The lower temperature thermostats that I was able to find did not have the disk on the bottom of the thermostat that blocks the bypass passage when the thermostat is fully opened, so you would have more overheating problems with the lower temperature thermostat. You could run without a thermostat and block the bypass passage e.g. with an epoxy cement plug. This would result in cooler running but could cause other problems; warm-up time would be much longer and it might not get warm enough for some emission controls e.g. charcoal canister purge to work.

--
Mike Walsh
Old May 14th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Thomas Tornblom

I'm not sure what fuel delivery system this car uses, but many
injections systems will not enter the "warm" strategies if the temp is
too low, which may make it run open loop.
Old May 14th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

The gas mileage will drop, quite a bit, meaning like about 1/3 if you
do that.

Why you should use a thermostat Jan VW air cooled 29 January 5th 07 11:43 PM
'79 Thermostat JohnO Ford Mustang 7 January 2nd 07 03:10 PM
Thermostat Joe Carroll Jeep 20 October 29th 05 05:49 PM
Remove, or not remove that is the question (Air Silencer) AW Ford Mustang 7 May 20th 05 09:45 PM
thermostat rod paul horvath VW air cooled 1 November 28th 04 04:01 PM