OK to remove thermostat?

Old May 16th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

Default OK to remove thermostat?

On May 14, 9:04*am, "HLS" > wrote:
> "BobJ" > wrote in message

> > *Although there are cases where no thermostat will allow the coolant to
> > run thru the radiator too fast and NOT get cooled sufficiently..

> With all due respect, this is a myth. *There are, on some designs, reasons
> why
> removing the thermostat may detract from cooling, but speed of flow through
> the
> radiator is definitely not valid.

it's possibly possible if under certain conditions the turbulence from
the increased flow louses up the heat transfer by causing localized
eddy currents or some such, but pretty unlikely. the often heard
argument that 'the coolant is going too fast to pick up the heat from
the metal' demonstrates the profound failure of our school system to
teach simple principles of basic physics.
Old May 17th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"z" > wrote in message
On May 14, 9:04 am, "HLS" > wrote:
> "BobJ" > wrote in message

> > Although there are cases where no thermostat will allow the coolant to
> > run thru the radiator too fast and NOT get cooled sufficiently..

> With all due respect, this is a myth. There are, on some designs, reasons
> why
> removing the thermostat may detract from cooling, but speed of flow
> through
> the
> radiator is definitely not valid.

it's possibly possible if under certain conditions the turbulence from
the increased flow louses up the heat transfer by causing localized
eddy currents or some such, but pretty unlikely. the often heard
argument that 'the coolant is going too fast to pick up the heat from
the metal' demonstrates the profound failure of our school system to
teach simple principles of basic physics.

Yes, it is...
Turbulence can increase the heat transfer, while laminar flows can increase
the
coolant throughput. Both effects are somewhat offsetting.

But the basic premise that fluid passes through the heat exchanger too
quickly to
allow cooling is absolutely bull****..

Old May 17th 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TE Chea

Agree : if cylinder head & piston rings have the same co
efficient of expansion*, * will be the same, designers
make sure of this.

| > wear will increase
Only if plain mineral oil ( coarse, obsolete, too thick when
cold, become tar by 121șC ) is used.

| > unburned gas that slips by the rings and dilutes the oil in the
| > crankcase.
Only before PCV was invented, www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm.
He's decades out of date.

Old May 17th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

TE Chea wrote:
> Agree : if cylinder head & piston rings have the same co
> efficient of expansion*, * will be the same, designers
> make sure of this.
>
> | > wear will increase
> Only if plain mineral oil ( coarse, obsolete, too thick when
> cold, become tar by 121șC ) is used.
>
> | > unburned gas that slips by the rings and dilutes the oil in the
> | > crankcase.
> Only before PCV was invented, www.aa1car.com/library/pcv.htm.
> He's decades out of date.

No, if the engine runs too cool because of missing thermostat, increased
wear will still occur due to fuel dilution of oil because the engine's
controls will be stuck in warm up mode.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 18th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TE Chea

| wear will still occur due to fuel dilution of oil
Impossible, petrol is very evaporative, in summer oil will
be hot enough to evaporate off petrol, pcv will suck petrol
fume into air intake

| engine's controls will be stuck in warm up mode
Temperature sensor cannot work ?.Then what's it for ?
Old May 18th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

TE Chea wrote:
> | wear will still occur due to fuel dilution of oil
> Impossible, petrol is very evaporative, in summer oil will
> be hot enough to evaporate off petrol, pcv will suck petrol
> fume into air intake
>
> | engine's controls will be stuck in warm up mode
> Temperature sensor cannot work ?.Then what's it for ?

The temperature sensor will still be working "correctly" just telling
the computer that the engine isn't fully warmed up yet.

nate

Old May 18th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On May 18, 5:38 am, "TE Chea" > wrote:
> | wear will still occur due to fuel dilution of oil
> Impossible, petrol is very evaporative, in summer oil will
> be hot enough to evaporate off petrol, pcv will suck petrol
> fume into air intake
>
> | engine's controls will be stuck in warm up mode
> Temperature sensor cannot work ?.Then what's it for ?

Gasoline is not a single hydrocarbon. It has a number of constituents
of varying vapor pressure. Some components do evaporate readily, but
the heavier components of the cut do not. Nor do some of the
additives (gasoline these days is not just gasoline). What remains
may not be the best lubricant.

Old May 18th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
> On May 18, 5:38 am, "TE Chea" > wrote:
>
>>| wear will still occur due to fuel dilution of oil
>>Impossible, petrol is very evaporative, in summer oil will
>>be hot enough to evaporate off petrol, pcv will suck petrol
>>fume into air intake
>>
>>| engine's controls will be stuck in warm up mode
>>Temperature sensor cannot work ?.Then what's it for ?

> Gasoline is not a single hydrocarbon. It has a number of constituents
> of varying vapor pressure. Some components do evaporate readily, but
> the heavier components of the cut do not. Nor do some of the
> additives (gasoline these days is not just gasoline). What remains
> may not be the best lubricant.

Plus, there's more of it being injected in warm up mode- same as leaving
the choke on on a carb'd vehicle.

nate

Old May 19th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TE Chea

| What remains may not be the best lubricant.

~8x I've used a white funnel* to pour BP petrol, & left * to
dry : when dry, no residue could be seen / felt
Old July 2nd 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Matt[_15_]

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote:
> On May 18, 5:38 am, "TE Chea" > wrote:
>> | wear will still occur due to fuel dilution of oil
>> Impossible, petrol is very evaporative, in summer oil will
>> be hot enough to evaporate off petrol, pcv will suck petrol
>> fume into air intake
>>
>> | engine's controls will be stuck in warm up mode
>> Temperature sensor cannot work ?.Then what's it for ?

> Gasoline is not a single hydrocarbon. It has a number of constituents
> of varying vapor pressure. Some components do evaporate readily, but
> the heavier components of the cut do not. Nor do some of the
> additives (gasoline these days is not just gasoline). What remains
> may not be the best lubricant.

And what about water blow-by condensing in the crankcase? Nobody has
mentioned sludge.

Why you should use a thermostat Jan VW air cooled 29 January 5th 07 11:43 PM
'79 Thermostat JohnO Ford Mustang 7 January 2nd 07 03:10 PM
Thermostat Joe Carroll Jeep 20 October 29th 05 05:49 PM
Remove, or not remove that is the question (Air Silencer) AW Ford Mustang 7 May 20th 05 09:45 PM
thermostat rod paul horvath VW air cooled 1 November 28th 04 04:01 PM