94 Explorer VIN X V6 runs for a minute and dies

Old December 11th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J Adams

Default 94 Explorer VIN X V6 runs for a minute and dies

Hi Alex

I think the problem has been found ..... using a hair dryer...

Stuck a hair dryer on the PCM, started the car took it to 1800 RPMs
(simulates 55mph). It ran for 18 minutes.

After holding the hair dryer for 10 minutes it become too hot to hold
so I shut it off. Sprayed some compressed air to cool the PCM, but it
was very very warm. Ran it at the 1800 RPMs for another couple of
minutes then let return to idle and it ran for another six minutes
very smooth. Then missed a couple of times and died. Touched the PCM
and it had cooled considerably, well at least I could touch it.

Next

Tried to start it, wouldn't start.

Heated the PCM and it started, ran for 15 minutes varying the RPMs and
smooth as kitten. I kept heating it up with the hair dryer every few
minutes. Shut it off. Started it up again without touching the
accelerator.

Just inspected the board, nothing comes back as obvious and I used a
big magnifying lens. No cracks, loose connection or such that I can
see. This is a problem that got progressively worse starting a couple
of months ago. More like something going bad than something loose.

Don't capacitors behave that way? A little $2 item if I knew which
one and if that is indeed the problem.

Oh, I forgot, tested the oxygen sensors and they were OK.

The reason for the hair dryer was to induce a failure quickly and just
the opposite happened. Net result was the same.

Jim

Old December 12th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
AS

Congrats!!

Yes Capacitors can behave this way, I call them the plague of the
electronic devices. I have a small box with all the ones I have
replaced over the years. The Electrolytics have a rather short life
span if used at the max ratings. Designers can improve their life by
choosing capacitors with higher than required ratings, but i guess cost
kills the good will.

When electrolytics fail they normally bulge or leak mainly by the leads
rusting the lead and sometimes the pcb (printed circuit board). Some
other times, they do not show signs at all.

Because the PCM failed when cold, i would rather think that the problem
is a cold solder, either at the point where the plug terminals are
soldered to the pcb or at any of the bigger components, resistors, power
transistors, etc. When looking for cold solders I use a magnifier at
least 10x, but prefer to use a stereo microscope that gives me 20 or 40x.

Keep in mind that the problem could be one of the components being
defective itself vs a cold solder. In diagnosing this kind of problems,
technicians use a source of hot air or cold spray that can directed
toward individual components.

The local junker sells the PCMs for about $30.

If you do not have it already, a Craftsman tester with capacitance
measurement goes for about 20-30 bucks. You will need to take the
capacitors off the board to test them and this can be a pain,
particularly with poor quality boards in which the copper tracks become
detached from the pcb when heat is applied. A good desoldering tool is
worthwhile if you plan on doing this yourself.

How long have you had this problem?

Good luck!

Old December 12th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J Adams

Hi Alex

Thanks for all your help.

This problem actually goes back further than I initially thought. The
reason I say that is about 6 months ago I would get a miss at idle and
not at any particular interval. Then about a month and half ago I had
an episode of severe missing and then no problem the next day. Maybe a
week later another episode. The frequency began to increase and the
stalling started. Then finally I didn't trust it at all and decided to
rebuild the upper engine because I knew I was leaking antifreeze into
the cylinders.

So today when the heat test worked and I had no missing at all, which
tells me the problem crept up quite a while ago.

I've taken the PCM apart and looking at solder connections and
components. Nothing looks like what you're describing. I'm using a
Photographers Loupe 8X for inspection. Getting apart to look at the
pins connections may damage it because of the way its assembled.

30 bucks huh? Mine has a part number F47F 12A650 DBA. I guess the DBA
part means California/New York emissions and auto trans. Being in
Tucson AZ I should be able to find a match, this close to CA and all.

If I did find one I might be willing to troubleshoot this one to
satisfy my curiosity as to the cause of the failure.

What tests could I run, cold I assume, to see if a cold solder
connection is the culprit.

Jim

Old December 12th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
AS

Hi Jim:

You are welcome, I am so glad you found your problem.

You should be able to see a cold solder with the magnifying glass, you
will see the lil crack, around or under the component leads.

Usually the larger components carry bigger electric loads and those are
the ones that normally get cold solders or solder fatigue (repeated
heating and cooling cycles).

For now I think it is worthwhile checking with your local junkers. This
next weekend I may go with a friend to the one around here and even
though I doubt that i will find a California vehicle, I will check the PCMs.

Good luck!

Alex

Old December 13th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
J Adams

Thanks Alex

Local guys here not much help.

I'm still going to try and isolate the problem.

Jim