E39 - Snow & Snowsocks

Old September 15th 06, 02:07 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
ajm59

Default E39 - Snow & Snowsocks

Hi, I own a 525 TDS Touring equipped with 235/45 R17 tyres.
I was wondering which solution might be the best for me to prepare the
car for the next winter, considering that I like skying, that I do NOT
live in a snowy town and that I have to drive a lot to reach the snow
fields.
I wouldn't like to buy 4 snow tyres, as I would utilize them just
two/three weeks per year. On the other hand I do not know if snow
chains are allowed for such car and, even if they would, it's not a
joke to put them on such big tyres.
An alternative might be to buy the snow socks (www.autosock.com).
Have you any experience with such items ?
Any other suggestion ?
Thanks. Alberto

Old September 15th 06, 05:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom K.

"ajm59" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I own a 525 TDS Touring equipped with 235/45 R17 tyres.
> I was wondering which solution might be the best for me to prepare the
> car for the next winter, considering that I like skying, that I do NOT
> live in a snowy town and that I have to drive a lot to reach the snow
> fields.
> I wouldn't like to buy 4 snow tyres, as I would utilize them just
> two/three weeks per year. On the other hand I do not know if snow
> chains are allowed for such car and, even if they would, it's not a
> joke to put them on such big tyres.
> An alternative might be to buy the snow socks (www.autosock.com).
> Have you any experience with such items ?
> Any other suggestion ?
> Thanks. Alberto

Your owners manual should indicate which tire sizes on your car are suitable
for chains. The snow socks look interesting, so let us know how they work
if you decide to go that route.

Tom K.

Old September 15th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Fred W[_1_]

ajm59 wrote:
> Hi, I own a 525 TDS Touring equipped with 235/45 R17 tyres.
> I was wondering which solution might be the best for me to prepare the
> car for the next winter, considering that I like skying, that I do NOT
> live in a snowy town and that I have to drive a lot to reach the snow
> fields.
> I wouldn't like to buy 4 snow tyres, as I would utilize them just
> two/three weeks per year. On the other hand I do not know if snow
> chains are allowed for such car and, even if they would, it's not a
> joke to put them on such big tyres.
> An alternative might be to buy the snow socks (www.autosock.com).
> Have you any experience with such items ?
> Any other suggestion ?
> Thanks. Alberto

The snow socks look like a joke. The first time you reach some dry
pavement they would shred and be useless. Plus the hassle of having to
put them on and take them off... No thanks.

What I would do is buy a complete set of 4 wheels in an appropriate size
(red NOT 235/45x17) and get them mounted with some nice winter tires.
Owning a RWD car and driving in snow (even if only occasionally) means
you NEED winter tires. It's a matter of safety.

The winter wheels and tires will extend how long your summer tires last
and when you no longer need them they are easy to resell as a set.

--
-Fred W
Old September 15th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BBO

ajm59 wrote:

> An alternative might be to buy the snow socks (www.autosock.com).

As a temporary winter aid for vehicles they work quite well, from what I
have heard from people that have used them. The key phrase here being
temporary.

They are not meant to be driven on hard surfaces as asphalt etc., but on
snow or ice. Also obviously there are certain restrictions on how fast
one can drive with these.

--
BBO, DoD#2101
Old September 15th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BBO

Fred W wrote:
> ajm59 wrote:

>> An alternative might be to buy the snow socks (www.autosock.com).
>> Have you any experience with such items ?

> The snow socks look like a joke. The first time you reach some dry
> pavement they would shred and be useless.

They are not designed for driving on dry pavement, but they hold up on
small patches of dry pavement. From the Autosock FAQ:

"During the approval test by TÜV, AutoSock passed the distance and
durability requirement of the snow chain norm (ÖNorm 5117). Nevertheless
asphalt & concrete driving is not recommended as it increases fabric
wear considerably."

> Plus the hassle of having to
> put them on and take them off... No thanks.

I'll agree with that.

--
BBO, DoD#2101