How to change battery in key fob

Old September 8th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Andrew Schumer[_1_]

Default How to change battery in key fob

The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend be
changed yearly.
Obviously, the dealer suggested I come in so they can service it (and
probably charge me and arm and a leg).

I never heard of this, nor has anyone I've talked to.

Any suggestions?

Old September 8th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In "Andrew Schumer"

http://riskinit.com/gallery_template...age=index.html

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old September 8th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bert Hyman

In Bert Hyman
> wrote:

> In "Andrew Schumer"
> wrote:
>
>> The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
>> According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend
>> be changed yearly.

> http://riskinit.com/gallery_template...age=index.html

One comment: The first illustration suggests you can simply pull the two
halves of the key apart. I found it easier to use a flat-bladed
screwdriver.

Flip open the key blade. In the recess where the key normally sits, you
should see a slot where it should be clear you should stick the blade,
give it a twist to separate the two pieces.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old September 10th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Peter Parker

In article >,
Andrew Schumer > wrote:
>The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
>According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend be
>changed yearly.
>Obviously, the dealer suggested I come in so they can service it (and
>probably charge me and arm and a leg).
>
>I never heard of this, nor has anyone I've talked to.
>
>Any suggestions?

I would suggest you work some Boeing overtime to pay for the dealer
repair. Batteries have been around for a long time and if you and
your circle have never heard of this, you have to get out of your
circle more often.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old September 12th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike Smith

Peter Parker wrote:
> In article >,
> Andrew Schumer > wrote:
>> The key fob for my 2004 VW Passat no longer works.
>> According to the dealer there is a battery inside that they recommend be
>> changed yearly.
>> Obviously, the dealer suggested I come in so they can service it (and
>> probably charge me and arm and a leg).
>>
>> I never heard of this, nor has anyone I've talked to.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I would suggest you work some Boeing overtime to pay for the dealer
> repair. Batteries have been around for a long time and if you and
> your circle have never heard of this, you have to get out of your
> circle more often.

Well, I do think it's silly that they think it should be changed yearly.
Mine are still working fine since November '02.

--
Mike Smith

Speed limit vigilante sent to jail John F. Carr Driving 366 July 25th 06 05:12 AM
Battery shorted, jump started fine, now it's dead but shows fully charged? Flippy Smith Technology 5 July 12th 06 07:00 PM
Did I replace my battery too soon? mswlogo Chrysler 8 June 15th 06 11:26 AM
Hybrid cars HOV Lanes RJ Technology 6 January 17th 06 05:58 AM
At what point is a vehicle battery charging or discharging? 12.6v ? [email protected] Technology 34 January 3rd 05 06:11 AM