Used Civic or new Fit?

Old April 12th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Used Civic or new Fit?

My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.

I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
with manual transmission, under $15,000.

Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
things that once made it a sensible choice.

So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.

I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do

But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
more conventional appearance.

Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.

Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--Nan
Old April 12th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

In article >,
wrote:

> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>
> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
>
> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>
> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>
> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>
> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
> more conventional appearance.
>
> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>
> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Nan

If you can afford the Civic--get the Civic since it should have more power
than the Fit.If you can't afford the Civic--get The Fit Sport. You may
want to test drive both of them before you make a decision. Also, compare
the HP and torque and top speed of both engines before you make a
decision.
Also, consider the options that you want in your new car. I recall that I
once purchased a new car that did not have a tach. or temp. gauge. I later
regretted not getting the higher priced model that had a tach. and temp.
gauge. The higher priced car also had a more powerful engine. I have not
made that mistake again.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old April 12th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Jason" > wrote
> wrote:
>
>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes
>> last Friday.
>>
>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and
>> fuel-efficient,
>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
>>
>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most
>> of the other
>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>
>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a
>> used Civic,
>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in
>> soon.
>>
>> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial
>> depreciation.
>> But it would be nice to have something under warranty.
>> And since the
>> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta
>> testing to do
>>
>> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its
>> value, and has a
>> more conventional appearance.
>>
>> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>>
>> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --Nan

> If you can afford the Civic--get the Civic since it should
> have more power
> than the Fit.If you can't afford the Civic--get The Fit
> Sport. You may
> want to test drive both of them before you make a
> decision. Also, compare
> the HP and torque and top speed of both engines before you
> make a
> decision.

I agree with Jason the above are important considerations.
But before reading his post, I was thinking of asking you
nblom how important fuel efficiency is. The Fit is
reportedly getting around 50 mpg. It's probably around 20%
more fuel efficient than the Civic. But this of course is at
the sacrifice of power--acceleration, like Jason says.

So you sort of have to consider what your priorities are. I
have a 1.5 Liter 91 Civic getting 40 mpg but I salivate at
the thought of having a 1.3 or 1.4 Liter Fit inside of 10
years, getting 50 mpg. I don't need g's. :-)

Old April 12th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elle" > wrote in message
news
> "Jason" > wrote
>> wrote:
>>
>>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>>
>>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.
>>>
>>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>>
>>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>>>
>>> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
>>> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
>>> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>>>
>>> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
>>> more conventional appearance.
>>>
>>> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>>>
>>> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --Nan

>> If you can afford the Civic--get the Civic since it should have more
>> power
>> than the Fit.If you can't afford the Civic--get The Fit Sport. You may
>> want to test drive both of them before you make a decision. Also, compare
>> the HP and torque and top speed of both engines before you make a
>> decision.

> I agree with Jason the above are important considerations. But before
> reading his post, I was thinking of asking you nblom how important fuel
> efficiency is. The Fit is reportedly getting around 50 mpg. It's probably
> around 20% more fuel efficient than the Civic. But this of course is at
> the sacrifice of power--acceleration, like Jason says.
>
> So you sort of have to consider what your priorities are. I have a 1.5
> Liter 91 Civic getting 40 mpg but I salivate at the thought of having a
> 1.3 or 1.4 Liter Fit inside of 10 years, getting 50 mpg. I don't need g's.
> :-)
The U.S. Fit has a 1.5 liter VTEC (SOHC), 109 HP (new method rating,
probably 115 under the old system). It's pretty well trimmed, with AC, air
bags, full gauges, decent radio w/CD. The Sport model adds larger alloy
wheels and larger tires, more body trim, keyless entry, etc.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA

Old April 12th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Kent Finnell" > wrote
>> So you sort of have to consider what your priorities are.
>> I have a 1.5 Liter 91 Civic getting 40 mpg but I salivate
>> at the thought of having a 1.3 or 1.4 Liter Fit inside of
>> 10 years, getting 50 mpg. I don't need g's. :-)

> The U.S. Fit has a 1.5 liter VTEC (SOHC), 109 HP (new
> method rating, probably 115 under the old system).

Unfortunately Kent is correct.
http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/index.aspx confirms the
smaller engine versions of the Fit (which IIRC I've seen
elsewhere on the net) will not be sold in the U.S.

Bustards.

OTOH, the new Civics are 1.8 Liter engines.

Couldn't dig up mileage specs for either quickly.

Old April 12th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Fit is nicely made but tiny.
>
> The last half-second before another car/truck hits you, you'll be
> wishing you had bought the Civic.

If you're worried about that, buy at least a Hummer II. The Fit is about
the same size as the 2nd or 3rd generation Civic coupe but heavier ... all
that SAFETY equipment don't you know, crush zones, safety beams in the
doors, a bunch of air bags, enhanced bumpers. On top of that, the Fit is
very nimble and the basic idea is to avoid the accident in the first place.
The 214 pounds difference in weight between the Civic LX 4 Dr. and the Fit
Sport 5 Dr. won't do you a lot of good if you're hit by a large MB,
mini-van, F150, SUV, or Hummer.

Sheesh, I've been hearing "buy the bigger, heavier car because it's safer"
for at least 50 years now. Like the song says, "it ain't necessarily so."
It's one of the earliest urban legends.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA

Old April 12th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Kent Finnell wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>The last half-second before another car/truck hits you, you'll be
>>wishing you had bought the Civic.

- snip -

> If you're worried about that, buy at least a Hummer II.

- snip snip -

The bigger is better talk never ceases to amaze me anyway I hear the
U.S. may get a HYBRID fit with a MSRP of less than 15K, sure hope
thats true !

--
Rob Fruth - Houston, Tx
http://www.rfruth.net

1981 Raleigh for errands & fun ____ __o
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun ! ____ _ \ | _)
2000 Civic hatchback (_)/ (_)
Old April 13th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Beams are great but you gotta have some crush space for the metal
deforming too. It looks like you wear the Fit, more than get into it.

Old April 13th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

nblomgren wrote:
> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>
> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
> with manual transmission, under $15,000.

scion xA or xB. bulletproof engine, little to no maintenance reqired,
since it has self adjusting valves, and a timing chain instead of belt.
no more $600 timing belt replacements every 90-110k miles!

> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>
> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>
> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>
> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
> more conventional appearance.

i dunno if the fit is any more "normal" looking than any other short,
high-roofed 4 door hatch.

sadly, they offered a 4-door "wagovan" from 88-91(ish?) that was a high
roofed 4 door, and it didnt sell. too ahead of their time?

> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years.
>
> Since I'm new to Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

im considering a fit as well. also going to look at the toyota yaris
hatch, the scions, and possibly the nissan versa when it comes out.

only thing is, i can guarantee the fit will sell for MSRP+, especially
with gas prices going back up. and it also won a 7-way car and driver test.

havent looked at the engine specs, but if it still uses a belt and needs
valve adjustments, i may pass.

ive never had a car with power windows/locks and/or keyless entry, and i
think thatd be neat. and a factory sunroof would be nice too. yes- a
"loaded" economy car. theyre popular in europe.

Old April 13th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"SoCalMike" > wrote in message
. ..
> nblomgren wrote:
>> My 2002 Saturn was a casualty in the Tennessee tornadoes last Friday.
>>
>> I'm looking for something reliable, inexpensive, and fuel-efficient,
>> with manual transmission, under $15,000.

> scion xA or xB. bulletproof engine, little to no maintenance reqired,
> since it has self adjusting valves, and a timing chain instead of belt. no
> more $600 timing belt replacements every 90-110k miles!
>>
>> Saturn seems to have given up on fuel-efficiency and most of the other
>> things that once made it a sensible choice.
>>
>> So now I'm ready for a Honda. I had planned on getting a used Civic,
>> but the local dealership will be getting the new Fit in soon.
>>
>> I haven't bought new in decades because of the initial depreciation.
>> But it would be nice to have something under warranty. And since the
>> Fit's been out for a while already, there's no beta testing to do
>>
>> But the Civic has a good track record for holding its value, and has a
>> more conventional appearance.

> i dunno if the fit is any more "normal" looking than any other short,
> high-roofed 4 door hatch.
>
> sadly, they offered a 4-door "wagovan" from 88-91(ish?) that was a high
> roofed 4 door, and it didnt sell. too ahead of their time?
>>
>> Whatever I buy, I'm planning to keep it for many years. Since I'm new to
>> Honda, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

> im considering a fit as well. also going to look at the toyota yaris
> hatch, the scions, and possibly the nissan versa when it comes out.
>
> only thing is, i can guarantee the fit will sell for MSRP+, especially
> with gas prices going back up. and it also won a 7-way car and driver
> test.
>
> havent looked at the engine specs, but if it still uses a belt and needs
> valve adjustments, i may pass.

It uses a chain like all recent VTEC engines. Look at http://vtec.net for
several indepth articles on the technical aspects of the Fit.

> ive never had a car with power windows/locks and/or keyless entry, and i
> think thatd be neat. and a factory sunroof would be nice too. yes- a
> "loaded" economy car. theyre popular in europe.

--
Kent Finnell
From the Music City USA