A New Entry for the Sloth Glossary: The -5 Sloth

Old April 3rd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default A New Entry for the Sloth Glossary: The -5 Sloth

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> Here's an as-yet-unnamed subcategory of Sloth: the -5 Sloth. The -5
> Sloth drives around everywhere at 5 MPH below the posted speed limit.
>
> The reason why the -5 Sloth drives at (SL - 5) is still a mystery

They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.
(I have observed many Japanese cars come from the factory
with high speedos -- perhaps an attempt by the manufacturers
to make their car look better in crash statistics).

Old April 3rd 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > Here's an as-yet-unnamed subcategory of Sloth: the -5 Sloth. The -5
> > Sloth drives around everywhere at 5 MPH below the posted speed limit.
> >
> > The reason why the -5 Sloth drives at (SL - 5) is still a mystery

> They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.
> (I have observed many Japanese cars come from the factory
> with high speedos -- perhaps an attempt by the manufacturers
> to make their car look better in crash statistics).

"You have observed"??? In what way?

Have you done objective tests?

Old April 3rd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Larry Bud wrote:
> Old Wolf wrote:
> > Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > > Here's an as-yet-unnamed subcategory of Sloth: the -5 Sloth. The -5
> > > Sloth drives around everywhere at 5 MPH below the posted speed limit.
> > >
> > > The reason why the -5 Sloth drives at (SL - 5) is still a mystery

> > They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.
> > (I have observed many Japanese cars come from the factory
> > with high speedos -- perhaps an attempt by the manufacturers
> > to make their car look better in crash statistics).

> "You have observed"??? In what way?
>
> Have you done objective tests?

Driving next to someone whose speedo is known to be correct

Old April 4th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Larry Bud" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Old Wolf wrote:
>> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> > Here's an as-yet-unnamed subcategory of Sloth: the -5 Sloth. The -5
>> > Sloth drives around everywhere at 5 MPH below the posted speed limit.
>> >
>> > The reason why the -5 Sloth drives at (SL - 5) is still a mystery

>> They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.
>> (I have observed many Japanese cars come from the factory
>> with high speedos -- perhaps an attempt by the manufacturers
>> to make their car look better in crash statistics).

> "You have observed"??? In what way?
>
> Have you done objective tests?

How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

They might come with "high speedos" to sell in the European market,where
some roads have high speeds.

(the term "high speedo" brings to mind some homo in tiny swim trunks;"butt
floss".) B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old April 4th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Old Wolf" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Larry Bud wrote:
>> Old Wolf wrote:

>> > They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.
>> > (I have observed many Japanese cars come from the factory
>> > with high speedos -- perhaps an attempt by the manufacturers
>> > to make their car look better in crash statistics).

Wouldn't a crash test facility use *their own instrumentation* when
accellerating the vehicle towards the crash barrier?
It would eliminate any inaccuracies or variance in vehicles.
(DUH...)

(and real accidents are measured by investigators/physical evidence,not by
any untrustworthy indication from the vehicle itself.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old April 4th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Larry Bud" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>

>>Old Wolf wrote:

>>>They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.
>>>(I have observed many Japanese cars come from the factory
>>>with high speedos -- perhaps an attempt by the manufacturers
>>>to make their car look better in crash statistics).

>>"You have observed"??? In what way?
>>
>>Have you done objective tests?
>>

> How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?
>
> They might come with "high speedos" to sell in the European market,where
> some roads have high speeds.
>
> (the term "high speedo" brings to mind some homo in tiny swim trunks;"butt
> floss".) B-)

Actually to sell in Europe, at least Germany, the speedo can by law
never read low but is required to read within a few kph of true speed.
This squares with my observations that German cars tend to have fairly
accurate speedos.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old April 4th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Jim Yanik wrote:
> > Old Wolf wrote:
>>>
>>> They think they are doing the SL, but their speedo reads high.

> How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

There's a couple of assumptions:
1) The driver uses the speedo to adjust his speed
2) Driving slower means you will have fewer crashes,

If you take those as given, then the high speedo (eg. speedo
that says you are doing 75 when you are doing 65) will result
in having fewer crashes than other cars that are actually going 75.

(NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
speedos high).

Old April 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>, Old Wolf wrote:
> Jim Yanik wrote:

>> How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

> There's a couple of assumptions:
> 1) The driver uses the speedo to adjust his speed
> 2) Driving slower means you will have fewer crashes,

> If you take those as given, then the high speedo (eg. speedo
> that says you are doing 75 when you are doing 65) will result
> in having fewer crashes than other cars that are actually going 75.
>
> (NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
> I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
> speedos high).

You don't need either. Just that higher crash speed generally means more
damage.

Driver crashes, has used the speedo to determine his speed. What he
thinks was a higher speed is actually lower. It appears the car has less
damage at that speed than competitive models in real world stats. Not to
mention driver/passenger injury.

Of course this only works with the real world stats. The crash tests
would be done with lab's equipment. Wether manufacturers are actually
doing this, I doubt it.

Old April 4th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Old Wolf wrote:
> Jim Yanik wrote:

>>How would a "high speedo" make a car look better in CRASH stats?

> There's a couple of assumptions:
> 1) The driver uses the speedo to adjust his speed
> 2) Driving slower means you will have fewer crashes,
>
> If you take those as given, then the high speedo (eg. speedo
> that says you are doing 75 when you are doing 65) will result
> in having fewer crashes than other cars that are actually going 75.
>
> (NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
> I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
> speedos high).

I think more likely is they don't want to get sued for someone getting a
speeding ticket when they set their cruise control to exactly the limit
(indicated.) Or worse yet, being sued as a result of a driver crashing
(having set the CC to the indicated SL) and subsequently having been
shown to have been speeding.

nate

Old April 5th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article .com>,
Old Wolf > wrote:
>(NB. I'm not commenting on the validity of those assumptions,
>I'm just saying that that is why some manufacturers set their
>speedos high).

Car and Driver did an article on speedometer inaccuracy a few years ago:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=1906

Timothy J. Lee