1997 Passat V6 question

Old December 22nd 04, 12:26 AM
Steve Grauman

Default 1997 Passat V6 question

Was the V6 used in the Passat in 1997 a true V6 or was it Volkswagen's VR6? I
know that the B5 moved to the Audi sourced 2.8 but the 6 used in 1997 seems to
have identicle specs to the VR6 and I'm wondering if that's what it was. If it
wasn't a VR6, where was it sourced from? Was it the same engine that Audi was
using in the pre-30 valve A6?
Steve Grauman
Old December 22nd 04, 01:58 AM
Matt B.

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> Was the V6 used in the Passat in 1997 a true V6 or was it Volkswagen's
> VR6?

Yep...it was the VR6.

The traditional Audi-based V6 was used in the B5 and B5.5 Passats because
those are an Audi sourced platform with a longitudinal engine.

The B3 and B4 Passats were VW platforms (partially related to the A2s
actually) and had transverse engines, so VW used their own VR6 which was
designed for transverse layouts.

The '06 B6 Passat separates from Audi again and goes to a transverse layout
with a variation of the VR6 engine. US models will get a 3.6L version.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:58 AM
Matt B.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:04 AM
Lee

what you mean a true 6?

VR6 is a true 6, has 6 spark plugs right.

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> Was the V6 used in the Passat in 1997 a true V6 or was it Volkswagen's
> VR6? I
> know that the B5 moved to the Audi sourced 2.8 but the 6 used in 1997
> seems to
> have identicle specs to the VR6 and I'm wondering if that's what it was.
> If it
> wasn't a VR6, where was it sourced from? Was it the same engine that Audi
> was
> using in the pre-30 valve A6?
> Steve Grauman

---

Old December 22nd 04, 02:04 AM
Lee

what you mean a true 6?

VR6 is a true 6, has 6 spark plugs right.

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> Was the V6 used in the Passat in 1997 a true V6 or was it Volkswagen's
> VR6? I
> know that the B5 moved to the Audi sourced 2.8 but the 6 used in 1997
> seems to
> have identicle specs to the VR6 and I'm wondering if that's what it was.
> If it
> wasn't a VR6, where was it sourced from? Was it the same engine that Audi
> was
> using in the pre-30 valve A6?
> Steve Grauman

---

Old December 22nd 04, 02:50 AM
Steve Grauman

>what you mean a true 6?
>
>VR6 is a true 6, has 6 spark plugs right.

I meant a standard-layout V6, as opposed to the narrow angle layout the VR6
uses.
Steve Grauman
Old December 22nd 04, 02:50 AM
Steve Grauman

Old December 22nd 04, 02:51 AM
Steve Grauman

>Yep...it was the VR6.

So then it should be able to take any of the VR6 mods such as VF engineering's
supercharger?
Steve Grauman
Old December 22nd 04, 02:51 AM
Steve Grauman

Old December 22nd 04, 03:00 AM
Woodchuck

VR6 is a 12v engine with about 170hp, but the V6 is a 30v with 190hp. VR6
uses a single cylinder and V6 uses 2 cylinder heads.