Which Jeep for me

Old July 2nd 05, 01:42 PM
lovs2fly

Default Which Jeep for me

Hey all,

I'm thinking about getting a jeep for the first time. I don't know much
about them but I was thinking about the wrangler. I am looking used since I
will do a rebuild. I plan on doing mostly city and beach driving. Any ideas?
What's the difference between CJ and TJ and any other.

Thanks for all the help.

Dennis

Old July 2nd 05, 03:41 PM
attnews

cj stands for civillian jeep, built by kaiser, and more recently american
motors. amc redesigned the cj and made the great yj wrangler, a great
improvement in many ways over the old cj. when krysler stole jeep from amc,
they started cheapening amc's designs for the cherokee, wrangler, and grand
cherokee. one of the results was the tj, an uglified amc wrangler, but
which used amc's front suspension, regarded by some as an improvement over
the previous leaf spring setup. as a jeep newby, you probably should
consider an original wrangler design, '87 on up to early '90's. condition
and past use-abuse are critical with any product, especially something
abuse-prone such as a jeep. common mistakes by newbies: thinking that
gigantic tires and big lifts are essential for serious off-roading.
warning: don't be confused by labels, such as the word "jeep" stuck on
things such as krysler's tall, skinny, tip-prone funny-looking misshapen
"liberty", which is not really a jeep, but rather something else entirely.
hope this helps. good luck. you will probably come to love your jeep, and
jeeping in general.
~~

Old July 2nd 05, 03:52 PM
IsellJeeps

Up until 86 they were cj's 87-95 sqaure headlights are yj's 91+ fuel
injected 96 no wrangler 97+ tj no more leaf springs smoother ride when
lifted better ride than cj or yj my opinion would be get a 97+ 6 cyl!!!!

Old July 2nd 05, 04:06 PM
Jerry Bransford

Go for a '97 or newer. '91 to '95 are "ok" (aside from having square
headlights) but their leaf spring suspensions don't ride as well on the
street and they take more to build them so they wheel offroad as well as
the '97 and newer with their coil spring suspensions do. The
introduction of the '97 really got Jeeping going even more than it was,
the newer Jeeps are truly a great design.

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
See the Geezer Jeep at http://members.cox.net/jerrypb/
Old July 2nd 05, 10:16 PM
Ruel Smith

> I'm thinking about getting a jeep for the first time. I don't know much
> about them but I was thinking about the wrangler. I am looking used since
> I will do a rebuild. I plan on doing mostly city and beach driving. Any
> ideas? What's the difference between CJ and TJ and any other.

CJ "Civilian Jeep" was built from the end of WWII until 1986. The most
commonly thought of ones are from the late 50's forward, and are CJ 5's and
7's, but there were long wheelbase CJ 6 and 8's. The 6's were earlier and
based on the 5's. The 8's were the Scramblers of the 80's.

YJ's are the first Wranglers. They were the square headlight models which
were basically an updated CJ7 in many respects. They sat lower and had a
wide track, which made them more stable on the road. This was a big deal
after a 60 Minutes article about Jeeps flipping.

TJ's are 97 and newer models with round headlights and coil sprung
suspensions.

I would say the CJ's are the most rebuildable, since parts like new frames
and complete tubs are available for them. You're likely to find a good YJ in
good shape that'll require less work for the money. Both CJ and YJ are
cheaper to lift, with their leaf sprung suspensions. TJ's ride the nicest
on-road, but their coil sprung suspension can get costly to modify and lift.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:34 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

correction, 89 and up were fuel injected. 89 had the option year, either
carb or fuel injection

Old July 3rd 05, 04:16 AM
Jerry Bransford

I had always read and heard it was 1991 when the 4.0L fuel inected
engine was introduced into the YJ line. It was the Cherokee that got it
several years earlier.

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old July 4th 05, 12:18 AM
bllsht

Correction. In 89 there were two options. 2.5L Renix TBI or 4.2L carbureted.

The first 6cyl injected wrangler was the 91 4.0L. The 2.5L also got the
Chrysler SFI system the same year.

Old July 5th 05, 03:50 PM
IsellJeeps

wrong-------

Old July 5th 05, 03:51 PM
IsellJeeps

4cyl only were fuel inj 6 cyl were carbs until 91

"Robb S via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> correction, 89 and up were fuel injected. 89 had the option year, either
> carb or fuel injection
>
> IsellJeeps wrote:
> >Up until 86 they were cj's 87-95 sqaure headlights are yj's 91+ fuel
> >injected 96 no wrangler 97+ tj no more leaf springs smoother ride when
> >lifted better ride than cj or yj my opinion would be get a 97+ 6 cyl!!!!
> >
> >> Hey all,
> >>

> >[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
> >>
> >> Dennis

Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi in UK Dori A Schmetterling Chrysler 4 June 2nd 05 10:22 PM
What is a TJ? Brian Foster Jeep 23 January 22nd 05 07:06 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM