89 Suburban Help...no power..jerks on acceleration

Old December 31st 04, 11:02 PM
John

Default 89 Suburban Help...no power..jerks on acceleration

Hi..
I posted earliar.
My 89 Suburban, 350 fuel injected, 4 speed loses power when accelerating or
reaching a high rpm.
There is a 'jerking' and the engine sounds as if it is getting bogged down.
At idle it sounds good..it only occurs when it accelerates, especially in 1
and secound gear.
On the highway you can also feel a 'jerking' motion when accelerating or
decelerating and lose of power.
One person suggested I check the catalytic convertor and it checked out ok
at the muffler shop on a presure test.
If anyone could give suggestions what else to look at I'd appreciate
it..John

Old December 31st 04, 11:17 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, John wrote:

> My 89 Suburban, 350 fuel injected, 4 speed loses power when accelerating
> or reaching a high rpm. There is a 'jerking' and the engine sounds as if
> it is getting bogged down. At idle it sounds good..it only occurs when
> it accelerates, especially in 1 and secound gear. On the highway you can
> also feel a 'jerking' motion when accelerating or decelerating and lose
> of power.

How long since your fuel filter was replaced? Any obstructions in the
intake air path?
Old January 1st 05, 12:10 AM
Bob Urz

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:17:26 -0600, Lawrence Glickman
> > wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:10:06 -0800, "John" > wrote:
>>

>>>Hi..
>>>Sorry, but I am not familar with FI engines.
>>>I know the fuel filter on my carburated vehicles is near the carburator but
>>>I cannot find the fuel filter on the FI 89 Suburban.

> Eh, nevermind. No carb on FI89. My bad.
> ?????????????

But it is probably a TBI unit, so the concept is the same.

Bob
Old January 1st 05, 05:35 PM
ottertailfamily

Fuel filter or fuel pump. A long shot might be the timing is being retarded
by the electronic spark control (if so equipped). I had that happen on my
82, would run fine for awhile, then bog bad, changed entire ignition system,
finally in an act of desperation, unplugged the knock sensor, has run fine
for 10 years that way.
tad

Old January 1st 05, 11:10 PM
John

Hi..
Sorry, but I am not familar with FI engines.
I know the fuel filter on my carburated vehicles is near the carburator but
I cannot find the fuel filter on the FI 89 Suburban.
If anyone can point me in the right area to locate it I would appreciate it.
I looked online that they are very inexpensive.
I am looking for a manual (Chilton's??). The local auto parts place does'nt
May have to order one..
Thanks to all for your input..John.

n.umich.edu...

Old January 1st 05, 11:17 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:10:06 -0800, "John" > wrote:

>Hi..
>Sorry, but I am not familar with FI engines.
>I know the fuel filter on my carburated vehicles is near the carburator but
>I cannot find the fuel filter on the FI 89 Suburban.
>If anyone can point me in the right area to locate it I would appreciate it.
>I looked online that they are very inexpensive.
>I am looking for a manual (Chilton's??). The local auto parts place does'nt
>May have to order one..
>Thanks to all for your input..John.

Taking a pot shot, take a look in your engine compartment and find
your carb. Find the fuel line and follow it back until you get to a
metal cannister about 1 inch in diameter by about 3 inches long.

That will be your fuel filter.

Lg

in.umich.edu...

Old January 1st 05, 11:20 PM
Lawrence Glickman

Old January 1st 05, 11:29 PM
John

Hi..
Ok..will do..
Thank you for your input..John

Old January 1st 05, 11:41 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 15:29:23 -0800, "John" > wrote:

>Hi..
>Ok..will do..
>Thank you for your input..John

Sorry if I provided misleading information.

I don't know the answer, it is just a WAG, based on my years of owning
*beaters.* Now I have looked up the web for this problem, and it says
"under the frame rail in the fuel line"

What does that mean?

On my car it is in the right rear wheel well, or just behind it
actually. Do you know what under the frame rail in the fuel line
means? Then you have a chance.

Get a powerful flashlight and follow the fuel line from the gas tank
toward the engine, and you will hit paydirt.

Lg

Old January 1st 05, 11:49 PM
John

Hi LG..
Ok..I'll do some crawling about and see if I can locate it..
Thanks again for your help..John