MSRP and Invoices

Old December 31st 04, 06:15 AM

Default MSRP and Invoices

I want to know what's the differences between MSRP and Invoices? MSRP +
tax is the prices we pay to the seller? How about Invoices?
I saw those info. in http://www.carsdirect.com. Do they have better
deal compared with car dealers?

please advise. thanks!!

Old December 31st 04, 03:30 PM

On 30 Dec 2004 22:15:23 -0800, wrote:

>I want to know what's the differences between MSRP and Invoices? MSRP +
>tax is the prices we pay to the seller? How about Invoices?
>I saw those info. in
http://www.carsdirect.com. Do they have better
>deal compared with car dealers?
>
>please advise. thanks!!

These prices might be direct from the factory. So, they might not
factor in dealer incentives to move some makes and models, which
means they might be a little higher than the actual invoice price.

So.....Ah......Not sure?

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Old December 31st 04, 07:17 PM

so MSRP is the price we need to pay? invoices is the price seller need
to pay car manufacturer (factory)?

Old December 31st 04, 07:44 PM

On 31 Dec 2004 11:17:52 -0800, wrote:

>so MSRP is the price we need to pay? invoices is the price seller need
>to pay car manufacturer (factory)?

I think that's very well put. Usually when something happens
Business-to-Business in transactions, it's called an invoice
price(sometimes called wholesale price). When it is
Business-to-Consumer, it's called a retail price.

One thing I would highly recommend you never think, or say, "so MSRP
is the price we NEED to pay?" This is very wrong. Even dealers where
there is 'no haggling' you can work better deals, like the dealer
absorbing the sales tax, or tossing in more freebies.

If you are in the market for a new car, and aren't experienced about
buying one(Myself included, I only buy used), you might want to bring
someone alone who has. Remember when picking this other person, only
take financial advice from people who are in the position you want to
be in.

later,

tom @
www.BookmarkAdmin.com

Old December 31st 04, 08:51 PM

MSRP is the manufactors suggested retail price, most of the time then
the dealership will add on shipping charges for transporting the car to
the lot, and then you haggle the deal down a thousand or you, but you
make that up when they factor in the tax and licensing and finance
charges. i am not really sure if you be getting a better deal off that
website, because you will end up paying all the same charges sooner or
later.

Old December 31st 04, 08:59 PM

MSRP, Wholesale, and Invoice prices are three different things.
Wholesale is what the lot pays for the car. MSRP is the Manuefactors
suggested retail price, which they use to get people in to look at the
new cars, and then when you get there they have the little stickers in
the window that show you that MSRP and then there usually is a list on
things that they have added to the cars price, anywhere from tinted
windows, seats, ect... and then there usually is a transportation fee
that usually goes anywhere from $350 - $1500 depending on the car and
how is was moved. and the total is the invoice price that they want you
to pay for the car. But FYI unless you have money to throw away i
wouldn't get suckered into paying Invoice. At least get $1000 below
invoice on the car and get what you want on your trade in if you have
one, or walk out. i have worked around the car sales business for a
while and the people that i have seen that stick to there guns and ask
for something that is reasonable of the carlot, usually are the ones
that get the good deals, and the ones that kinda waver back and forth
are the ones that will get stepped on and get a bad deal or not get a
car at all. there is a whole other group that i have seen but i wont
get into them.

Old January 1st 05, 07:08 AM
Christopher Green

On 30 Dec 2004 22:15:23 -0800, wrote:

>I want to know what's the differences between MSRP and Invoices? MSRP +
>tax is the prices we pay to the seller? How about Invoices?
>I saw those info. in
http://www.carsdirect.com. Do they have better
>deal compared with car dealers?
>
>please advise. thanks!!

Automobile prices are always negotiable.

MSRP is the retail price set by the factory. The dealer will want you
to pay something close to MSRP for the car.

Invoice is a slightly fictitious price that approximates what the
dealer paid the factory for the car. You will want to pay something
close to invoice for the car.

Invoice includes a "holdback" of up to 3% to reimburse the dealer for
the cost of carrying the car in inventory, so something like invoice
less 3% plus destination (shipping) charge is what the dealer paid for
the car.

If you are trying to buy a very popular model, one the dealer can sell
all of his inventory at MSRP or close to it, you won't have much
negotiating room: you'll pay pretty much what the dealer asks or walk.

If you are trying to buy a less popular model, or the dealer needs to
get rid of inventory (especially at the end of each quarter, end of
calendar year, end of model year), you should be able to negotiate
something close to invoice. If the dealer is really motivated to be
rid of the car, you should be able to get it for substantially less
than invoice. This is where you see the "$1,000 below invoice" deals.
Do not worry about taking food out of the mouths of the dealer's kids;
he's probably making money on the holdback, or at worst clearing space
to sell a more popular car.

There are also factory rebates, promotional financing, and the like.
If it's the factory's money (know the details of the promotion, which
you can get from Edmunds, KBB, or the like), it should come off the
negotiated deal: it's between the factory and you, not out of the
dealer's profit.

--
Chris Green

Old January 3rd 05, 12:27 AM

> MSRP is the retail price set by the factory. The dealer will want you
> to pay something close to MSRP for the car.
>
> Invoice is a slightly fictitious price that approximates what the
> dealer paid the factory for the car. You will want to pay something
> close to invoice for the car.
>
> Invoice includes a "holdback" of up to 3% to reimburse the dealer for

If we buy the auto online such as http://www.carsdirect.com, then MSRP
is the price the buyer need to pay? We couldn't negotiate the prices if
we buy online?

So in short, if we can pay the price close to invoice, then it should
be a good deal. Correct?
or any other good resources for buying a new car?

Old January 3rd 05, 12:28 AM