Hitch inversion theory

Old January 3rd 05, 03:47 PM
keith_nuttle

Have you ever notice that the people who are anti SUV's are from the
same group of people who insisted on gas mileage ratings that caused the
manufactures to build vehiles so small that only one or two people can
ride comfortably, and that can not pull a boat, carry a family, or have
room for other hobby type things that the average person like to do.

I guess it irks them to see their indirect creation.

Old January 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Nate Nagel

keith_nuttle wrote:

> Have you ever notice that the people who are anti SUV's are from the
> same group of people who insisted on gas mileage ratings that caused the
> manufactures to build vehiles so small that only one or two people can
> ride comfortably, and that can not pull a boat, carry a family, or have
> room for other hobby type things that the average person like to do.
>
> I guess it irks them to see their indirect creation.

As usual, the gross generalizations have exceptions. Yes, i do *drive*
a car that only seats two people comfortably, but I firmly believe that
market forces should determine what people purchase, not CAFE.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 3rd 05, 04:51 PM
Nate Nagel

Old January 5th 05, 05:40 AM
JR North

/rant
The main beef I have with SUVs is the people who drive them have little
or no experience with the shifted drivers perspective due to the
elevated eye level. I have come within a short hair's width of being
broadsided TWICE by Lincoln Navigators, who's drivers ran a stop sign on
an intersecting side street. This is because they are used to looking UP
at a stop sign in a car. The elevated eye level in an SUV puts the sign
about level with the driver. So, it doesn't register. People who are
used to driving trucks do not make this error. The higher driver
position causes an error in judging the distance of the car in front,
and sometimes not even seeing it because it is below the drivers
straight ahead line of vision. I was waiting to turn left into a 7-11
with my brake and T/S lights on in my '70 Datsun Roadster. I glanced in
my RVM to see a Ford Expedition barreling right at me at 45mph. I
stomped the gas and got out of her way just in the nick of time. I could
see her face as I glanced- see was staring straight ahead- didn't even
see me sitting there. If I hadn't moved, I would have been killed-
literally run-over by that monster.
Suvs rear-end cars for the above illustrated conditions. I have 3
neighbors with SUVs, all 3 currently have front end damage.
As I said, look at the number of cars with rear end collision damage
well above bumper height.
I have had SUV's repeatedly change lanes into me(without colliding),
because they can't see smaller cars next to them.
Am I discourteous to SUVs? You bet. I can't trust one behind me, and
can't see around one in front of me. If one is next to me, I'm just
waiting for it to swerve into my lane. If one is approaching on a side
street, I expect it to run the stop sign. This is no way to drive with
peace-of-mind.
The main problem is the nitwits that drive them have no experience
driving a large, high vehicle.
I'm just counting the days till I get killed by one.....
\rant
JR

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> Three times in the past week or so, I've noticed something I don't
> recall seeing befo someone with a high-riding pickup or SUV who had
> two to six inches of drop hitch -- installed upside down.
>
> Two of them had a trailer on, and in the worst case, a flatbed behind a
> Ford Excursion, the upside-down apparatus combined with the tall
> vehicle to leave it sitting at maybe a twenty-degree angle. I'm
> surprised he didn't leave his trailer taillights on the speed bumps --
> or his cargo on the road going up a steep hill.
>
> Just for completeness, I went to a local store and looked at the
> catalogue from one of the big makers of trailering tools and toys.
> Sure enough, it contained not only instructions but photographs showing
> what things are supposed to look like when properly rigged. Somehow
> people are spending money on an accessory that they probably need --
> and using it exactly wrong.
> Fishtailing soon down an Interstate near you...
>
> --Joe

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Old January 5th 05, 05:40 AM
JR North

Old January 5th 05, 06:16 AM
El Alumbrado

"JR North" > wrote in message
> /rant
> The main problem is the nitwits that drive them have no experience driving
> a large, high vehicle.

Didja ever notice how a really bad driver always seems to be surrounded by
what he perceives to be bad drivers?

El Alumbrado
"Civis Texanus Sum"

Old January 5th 05, 06:16 AM
El Alumbrado

Old January 5th 05, 07:31 AM
Calif Bill

"JR North" > wrote in message
> [...]
> >
> > Just for completeness, I went to a local store and looked at the
> > catalogue from one of the big makers of trailering tools and toys.
> > Sure enough, it contained not only instructions but photographs showing
> > what things are supposed to look like when properly rigged. Somehow
> > people are spending money on an accessory that they probably need --
> > and using it exactly wrong.
> > Fishtailing soon down an Interstate near you...
> >
> > --Joe

> Home Page: http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
> If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes
> Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive
> The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me
> No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses
> Dependence is Vulnerability:
> "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
> "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Maybe you are bad driver. I now drive an SUV and a Chevy 2500 truck. I
have been hit over the years, including those when I drove non-suv, by
several vehicles. None an SUV or truck. An Oldsmobile while stopped at a
red light. A BMW at a stop light in San Francisco. hitting a Chevy 2500
truck trailer hitch does no damage to the truck at commute stop and go
speed. I have had my S-10 Blazer hit when it was 2 weeks old. Stop and go
on the freeway off ramp. Older Datsun. A fullsize T-bird hit my regular
car while parked. A honda civic in a parking lot. From his perspective I
had to be large, so why did he drive into me while I was in a parking slot.
I was about 2' from the Expedition when he ran into me. A guy fell a sleep
driving through a parking lot and smashed the rear bumper and corner of my
s10 p/u while driving a small rental car. Fact is, I have been hit 5 times
while parked. None were an SUV.
Bill

Old January 5th 05, 07:31 AM
Calif Bill

Old January 5th 05, 06:58 PM
Dan Overes

JR North wrote:

> This is no way to drive with peace-of-mind.

Anyone who drives with too much peace-of-mind isn't paying enough
attention, in my opinion. Any vehicle can have a moron behind the wheel
and by paying too much attention to the SUV you could miss the idiot in
the car next to you.