KRETP Extremist Increase Highway Danger

Old December 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
Dave Head

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:47:27 GMT, Arif Khokar > wrote:

>Brent P wrote:
>
>> In article >, Dave Head wrote:

>>>Well, try doing it on a road where there's 1 car for about every 200 - 300
>>>yards. That's mostly the traffic density that I drive in.

>> I believe you simply are unaware of the problems you cause or are just
>> lying. Because your reasons for cruising in the left lane counter your
>> claims of light traffic conditions.

>I believe he is lying. I originally was under the impression that he
>drove in higher density traffic than I did. I drive under similar
>conditions and KRETP is very easy to do. This and the fact that he
>claims that he goes faster than everyone else yet still has problems
>with ducklings that slowly gain on him makes what little credibility he
>has suspect.

One more time.

I am generally faster than everything else at time other than the drive home.

During the drive home, I can pick up a duck or two.

Also, thinking about it just now, while answering another post, I believe that
just lately, there's considerably less traffic than in the recent past. I
think it may have something to do with fewer tourists. Maybe it has to do with
the fact that its dark, and it wasn't just a few months ago. Dunno.

And, at no time do I have any desire to be found in the right lane where the
joggers / pedestrians / bicyclists / cars turning off / cars turning on / cars
maybe sliding out into the road when its slick / etc. can also be found.
THere's lots less of this sort of "debris" in the left lane.

DPH
Old December 22nd 04, 07:13 AM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:

> I am generally faster than everything else at time other than the drive home.
> During the drive home, I can pick up a duck or two.

Then your presence in the left lane is blocking other people.

You simply can't have it both ways. Either there is enough traffic for
your justifications or there isn't and you have none.

Old December 22nd 04, 07:13 AM
Brent P

Old December 22nd 04, 07:24 AM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:44:06 GMT, (Brent P)
> wrote:

>>> No you weren't. I always said that there was almost always room on my right to
>>> get around. You admit to pacing a truck. You admit to creating a backup. I
>>> never do that. I _hate_ a line of cars behind me.

>>I was driving just as you say. 7 over in the far left lane making things
>>easiest for number one.

> 7 over is fine for Rt. 3 east of Fredericksburg. Elsewhere might require more
> speed. I sometimes touch 80 on I-81, just to keep from getting run over by the
> trucks - either lane.

The ever morphing story.

> I'm generally faster than everyone else. Around here requires about 7 to do
> it. Elsewhere might require more than that.

Then you should be running into LLBs often. Often getting stuck in the
clumps of traffic they create or coming up behind the LLBs themselves trying
to find a way around them on the right. You should then dislike LLBs as
much as any one else in this group or more.

>>That's what you've posted several times over. And
>>what occured is because of the traffic conditions where I drive. The same
>>thing that will happen anywhere with real traffic. Yet you keep telling
>>me it wouldn't happen when I knew it would because I've been stuck in
>>those LLB caused clumps countless times.

> I don't cause clumps anywhere. If you drive in the left lane and cause clumps,
> then you're not doing it like I do it.

You are either causing problems for everyone else as an LLB or you should
have LLBs causing problems for you.

> Can't say about edens - but I was on the Cross County a couple - three years
> ago and... I really can't remember where I drove it. I'm sure there was no
> backup, tho...

I doubt you'd notice. You don't care about anyone other than yourself.

>>You are "outrunning" everyone at 7 over yet you're consistantly getting
>>ducklings driving next to you. You can't be outrunning everyone and have
>>ducklings frequently enough for them to be such a significant factor in
>>your driving straegy. I've found most LLBs think they are going 'fast
>>enough' and think they are driving faster than most, so you are no
>>different here. If you were actually "outrunning" everyone you'd be more
>>frustrated with LLBs than anyone else in this group. You'd find yourself
>>blocked by them and the traffic clumps they create.

> I consistently outrun about 99% of 'em, in the time-frames other than during
> the drive home.

Then you should dislike LLBs as much as any one else in this newsgroup.
There is no way you can out run that large percentage of other traffic
and not have to deal with them. Not come across them constantly and
consistantly where they are along side other drivers effectively blocking
up the road and your forward progress. You are either blocking or being
blocked given what you posted.

> During those times, I sometimes find others coming up on me,
> and some of 'em decide to drive on my rear bumper, either side, or sometimes
> tailgate. Most of the time, its not a problem. Still, I don't see a profit in
> constantly switching left-right-left-right-left-right all the time to pass the
> 10 - 15 cars I usually pass on the way. Plus, I still have no desire to be in
> the right lane anytime due to the previously mentioned pedestrians / bikes /
> cars turning off / cars turning on / and generally slow nose-pickers.

Pretty hard to deal with LLBs when you're too lazy to change lanes.
Pretty hard to outrun 99% of traffic without switching lanes too.

Bringing in peds, and other things not seen on limited access highways I
can only believe is to purposely confuse the issue.

It's really simple, your arguements are inconsistant. Either you are
being blocked by LLBs as you try to out run 99% of traffic or you are an
LLB as you cruise in the left lane. It can't be both ways and be
anything that could even be called traffic.

Old December 22nd 04, 07:24 AM
Brent P

Old December 23rd 04, 12:12 AM
Dave Head

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 06:24:08 GMT, (Brent P)
wrote:

>In article >, Dave Head wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:44:06 GMT,
(Brent P)
>> wrote:

>>>I was driving just as you say. 7 over in the far left lane making things
>>>easiest for number one.

>> 7 over is fine for Rt. 3 east of Fredericksburg. Elsewhere might require more
>> speed. I sometimes touch 80 on I-81, just to keep from getting run over by the
>> trucks - either lane.

>The ever morphing story.

If you think conditions are the same all over, then... yeah, it might seem that
way.

Take this fact: I don't cause backups - and work backwards from there. Sure I
get some extra speed going on actual interstates. I _try_ to keep it at +7,
but sometimes that ain't enough. Its definitiely not enough it the left lane
of I-95 for instance. Yeah, I'm considerably over +7 on various occasions when
driving that road. Hell, I _might_ even _not_ be in the left lane, depending
on how I'm feeling about things, how many yahoos want to climb up my backside,
etc. If I am not feeling good about being _way_ over the limit, I just might
drive the center lane, and get held up by someone else there. It just all
depends on lotsa things - weather, cop density, time of day and dark/light,
etc.

>> I'm generally faster than everyone else. Around here requires about 7 to do
>> it. Elsewhere might require more than that.

>Then you should be running into LLBs often. Often getting stuck in the
>clumps of traffic they create or coming up behind the LLBs themselves trying
>to find a way around them on the right. You should then dislike LLBs as
>much as any one else in this group or more.

Well, I hate _real_ LLB's, the ones that make the road impassible - and I also
hate their enablers, that allow them to sit on their bumper or drive right
beside or a little ahead. I'm never one of these, either, unless there's
nothing I can do about it (someone blocking my way to go faster, people
climbing up my back even in the right lane, etc.)

>>>That's what you've posted several times over. And
>>>what occured is because of the traffic conditions where I drive. The same
>>>thing that will happen anywhere with real traffic. Yet you keep telling
>>>me it wouldn't happen when I knew it would because I've been stuck in
>>>those LLB caused clumps countless times.

>> I don't cause clumps anywhere. If you drive in the left lane and cause clumps,
>> then you're not doing it like I do it.

>You are either causing problems for everyone else as an LLB or you should
>have LLBs causing problems for you.

Depends. On the traffic density, on other stuff. Yeah, I have problems with
LLBs. I don't have problems with blocking up the roads myself, 'cuz I don't do
that, or at least _very_ rarely when there's so much traffic its hard to avoid.

>> Can't say about edens - but I was on the Cross County a couple - three years
>> ago and... I really can't remember where I drove it. I'm sure there was no
>> backup, tho...

>I doubt you'd notice. You don't care about anyone other than yourself.

I care about things like getting rear-ended from impatient drivers following
too close, or anything else that is an unnecessary risk, so _yeah_, I notice.

>>>You are "outrunning" everyone at 7 over yet you're consistantly getting
>>>ducklings driving next to you. You can't be outrunning everyone and have
>>>ducklings frequently enough for them to be such a significant factor in
>>>your driving straegy. I've found most LLBs think they are going 'fast
>>>enough' and think they are driving faster than most, so you are no
>>>different here. If you were actually "outrunning" everyone you'd be more
>>>frustrated with LLBs than anyone else in this group. You'd find yourself
>>>blocked by them and the traffic clumps they create.

>> I consistently outrun about 99% of 'em, in the time-frames other than during
>> the drive home.

>Then you should dislike LLBs as much as any one else in this newsgroup.

I do. That is, I hate people that hold up my progress. Of course, I'm not the
sort of hardhead that seems to be prevelant in this ng, so I will pass on the
right in a heartbeat. Therefore, someone simply driving left is no big deal.

>There is no way you can out run that large percentage of other traffic
>and not have to deal with them.

You can when the traffic is light. Its been pretty light lately.

I did get caught in a pretty big pile of traffic tonight on 301, but it wasn't
a "backup" - it was people driving both lanes pretty much as far as you could
see. It dispersed pretty quickly as people turned off, then I turned off that
road too. I would have been at the same speed in either lane, tho.

>Not come across them constantly and
>consistantly where they are along side other drivers effectively blocking
>up the road and your forward progress. You are either blocking or being
>blocked given what you posted.

Traffic is light enough that I can usually weave in and out, over a pretty good
distance, so it isn't obvious weaving as far as the cops are concerned. I'm
not sure how I gave the impression that there's always a _lot_ of traffic.
There isn't. There _sometimes_ is a lot of traffic, but lately that's more
rare than usual. Winter, I guess. Lack of tourists, maybe.

>> During those times, I sometimes find others coming up on me,
>> and some of 'em decide to drive on my rear bumper, either side, or sometimes
>> tailgate. Most of the time, its not a problem. Still, I don't see a profit in
>> constantly switching left-right-left-right-left-right all the time to pass the
>> 10 - 15 cars I usually pass on the way. Plus, I still have no desire to be in
>> the right lane anytime due to the previously mentioned pedestrians / bikes /
>> cars turning off / cars turning on / and generally slow nose-pickers.

>Pretty hard to deal with LLBs when you're too lazy to change lanes.
>Pretty hard to outrun 99% of traffic without switching lanes too.

Never said I didn't switch lanes. I said I like to minimize it.

>Bringing in peds, and other things not seen on limited access highways I
>can only believe is to purposely confuse the issue.

Its just where I normally drive. And, there isn't many of them, either. In
fact, they're pretty rare. But there _could_ be, and sometimes there _are_. Do
I want to be where I could possibly miss 'em and hit 'em and go to jail for 20
years, not to mention I'd feel really terrible about the whole thing? No way.

>It's really simple, your arguements are inconsistant.

Yeah, but traffic conditions are inconsistent. Things are different between
rural 4-lane and rural Interstate, and between any roads in Virigina and any
roads elsewhere, at least in how _I_ treat 'em.

>Either you are
>being blocked by LLBs as you try to out run 99% of traffic or you are an
>LLB as you cruise in the left lane. It can't be both ways and be
>anything that could even be called traffic.

Well, its not much traffic. Happy?

DPH

Old December 23rd 04, 12:12 AM
Dave Head