Mileage down

Old June 25th 05, 11:56 PM
The Wolf

Default Mileage down

I used to get high 18s in my 2001 Explorer Sport. I am down to low
16mpg?

4.0 V6

84,000 miles

Any ideas what to look at?

Thanks
Old June 26th 05, 12:13 AM
Searcher1

Spark plugs/wires-MAYBE/
Air cleaner/ Air pressure in tires/
Alignment/off by just a fraction could mean the difference of tires straight
on the road or dragging sideways 1/8 of every mile.

Just a few but these are th emain culprits of lowered gas mileage.
You didn't say if you have a check engine light on or not.

Searcher1

Old June 26th 05, 12:43 AM
The Wolf

No check engine light. Tires brand new and pressure religiously checked.
New air filter.........

Old June 26th 05, 02:42 AM
Searcher1

Plugs and or wires would be my best guess then. THey are Platinum plugs and
they should last 100 000, but I changed mine at 50000/
You may not like hearing this but I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 sohc with 97000.
I get 19/21 city and almost 23/24 highway. "Brother, it ain't no joke". I
always did get pretty good gas mileage and I have always used 87 octane, but
the "secret" is the oil and filter (as far as I'm concerned that is) I use
Mobile One oil and a K&N oil filter.LIke I said I changed my plugs at 50
and I have cleaned them since. Every month I will put in one bottle of 104
octane ( I feel ) It does a good job of keeping the system cleaner. I also
(like you) am religious about maintenance, tires/pressure/align, ETC.

A sensor could be going up (I think, don't hold me to this) and that might
cause a drop in mileage, But chasing it down is like finding hens teeth,
until it goes completely or enough to trigger a DTC.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Searcher1

Old June 27th 05, 03:16 AM
Ed Mann

Don't forget to check the thermostat. If the engine isn't heating up
properly, you'll run rich all the time.

. ..

Old June 27th 05, 12:20 PM
The Wolf

Any tips for getting the rear plug on the passenger side? It looks like
a bear. I have a hight quality torque wrench.

So plugs and wires will be next.

I did a cross counry trip couple of years ago and the best I got was
20mph.

V-6 4.0 SOHC

Old June 27th 05, 05:02 PM
Al Williams

I've read that you can take off the passenger front wheel and the inside
wheel-well cover and get it from there. Haven't tried it yet but it is due
on my 98 so post back if you figured it out.

--
Allan Williams

. ..

Old June 27th 05, 06:57 PM
Als

Just did this job.
A long extension through the passenger wheel well can get it done for you.
(I did not remove the wheel just a hard left turn before I shut it off..) I
did use a swivel next to the socket however. Hope this helps.

Al

Old June 28th 05, 12:19 PM
wth

Did you go from regular unleaded to a 90/10 blend ethanol? You will get
better mileage with plain unleaded, but around here it's 10 cents/gal more.
wth

. ..

Old June 28th 05, 01:39 PM
The Wolf