Bill, you were right

Old June 27th 05, 09:07 PM
Jeff Strickland

Now you did it!

We have spent the last 5 years telling Bill that he is an idiot, and now you
come around and validate him. Crap. Now we have to start all over again ...

"Eric" > wrote in message
> Well, today I did it. I broke my Dana 35. Holy smokes. What a PITA! I
> think I somehow messed up the locker in the process (won't quite lock
> anymore -- seems to be always ratcheting). *sigh*
>
> Anyhow, I'm not locking that 35 ever again -- I kept the spider gears and
> will be putting them back in this week. I'm going to lock the front and

be

Old June 27th 05, 09:41 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks muches Frank: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c\Dramatized.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 27th 05, 09:49 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Old June 28th 05, 12:18 AM
Mike Romain

ROTFLMAO!

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old June 28th 05, 12:41 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hey, where are the pictures for us Jeepers living vicariously
through you.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 28th 05, 02:22 AM
Eric

I use 5th gear all the time. Of course, now I have a broken axle, but I
don't think that's a coincidence.

Eric
news:1119881695.df82410e8461ac896b3b881b79e5a062@t eranews...

Old June 28th 05, 02:28 AM
Eric

Here's a pic showing me under it. Note the snatch block above me, the tow
strap hooked to a winch on the driver's side, the high lift just to my left,
and the bottle jack on the axle to the right/front of me...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v242/T...t=100_0198.jpg

Here's a series. The first one is where the break happened (just click the
right carat to cycle through):

http://www.stx4wd.com/gallery/displa...lbum=17&pos=43

Eric

Old June 28th 05, 02:35 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

Here is a direct quote (OR CLOSE) from JP magazine June 2005 issue page 48
on differential basics.
Q: Can a locker break my Jeep?
A: Mr.Reider walks us through it....the greatest torque that can be applied
to either wheel with an open diff would be 50% of total power sent to the
axle. This is because the spider geas split the torque 50/50., and if one
wheel loses traction, then power is lost to the loose wheel and the wheel
with traction receives less than 50%. When a locker is installed, no power
is lost to the loose wheel, it has to rotate at the same speed as the wheel
with traction, and up to 100% of the power can now be directed to the wheel
with traction. That can be twice the power the jeep and its components
were originally designed for. Meaning the axleshafts or u joints may not be
strong enough. Upgrade accordingly.

Old June 28th 05, 03:14 AM
Kevin in San Diego

You are just now getting concerned? Lol people amaze me.
KH

Old June 28th 05, 04:03 AM
Billy Ray

Okay boys, I have limited off-road experience and none of the extreme of
what these videos and pictures have been showing. My question, as a novice
and interested party is, just how common is axle breakage? Do you have to
"try" to break an axle or is it something I need to worry about?