M2 steering wheel, in M1?

Old May 14th 05, 01:07 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Default M2 steering wheel, in M1?

The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that it won't be a piece of cake but, I
really love the M2 wheel, hate the M1 and mine's starting to 'go'. Momo
wheels are nice but expensive. I'm pretty sure the airbag would be useless
but mine isn't functional anyway so... I'd love to hear from someone with
first hand experience if possible.

TIA,
Chris
92BB&T

Old May 14th 05, 03:27 PM
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that it won't be a piece of cake but, I
> really love the M2 wheel, hate the M1 and mine's starting to 'go'. Momo
> wheels are nice but expensive. I'm pretty sure the airbag would be useless
> but mine isn't functional anyway so... I'd love to hear from someone with
> first hand experience if possible.
>
> TIA,
> Chris
> 92BB&T

Hi Chris,
I looked into this when I had my last miata. It looks like it is easy
enough to install, but that there are issues with the airbag that I have
not heard of anyone resolving. On the other hand, if you are not worried
about having an airbag, I would suggest a Momo, Nardi, or whatever you
like best.
There is a person on miata.net classifieds that is selling a 2000
Miata steering wheel with airbag, (which obviously needs to be in place
for the wheel to look right), if it has not sold yet, for $100.00. This
is a very low price, people are normally asking about the same price or
more as a Momo steering wheel ($250.00+) for their airbag-equipped M2
steering wheel. The airbag alone is worth over $100.00 and I think that
the steering wheel with airbag is almost $1000.00 from the factory, iirc.

Finally, since whether the airbag works or not is not a major issue with
you, I have noticed that the much lighter, (that airbag is heavy!), Momo
Course steering wheel makes the steering feel even more responsive, and
in my opinion, there is no airbag-equipped steering wheel made anywhere
that looks as good as the Momo Champion, though I also think that the M2
Nardi steering wheel is equal or superior in appearance to the best
looking airbag-equipped steering wheels produced on any car.

HTH,

Pat
Old May 14th 05, 03:50 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that it won't be a piece of cake but, I
>really love the M2 wheel, hate the M1 and mine's starting to 'go'. Momo
>wheels are nice but expensive.

And M2 wheels are not?

>I'm pretty sure the airbag would be useless
>but mine isn't functional anyway so...

I guess repair is out of the question.

>I'd love to hear from someone with
>first hand experience if possible.

Do a search of the groups on miata.net. At least one or two
people have installed them. I never found anyone with a claim
that the airbag was functional, so I gave up on it.

Personally, I would rather fix the airbag and replace the steering
wheel or have it recovered in new leather.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old May 15th 05, 03:05 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

Pat nailed it! I saw the cheap M2 wheel in the clasifieds and it brought
back that itch......$100 in good shape and with airbag! Pat, you're also
correct about the Momo wheels but again, they're pretty pricey.

Thanks guys,
Chris
92BB&T

Old May 22nd 05, 02:02 AM