NC Oil Presure Guage

Old March 28th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default NC Oil Presure Guage

Hey, did we get a real oil pressure gauge back now in the NC?
It's always really bothered me that Mazda took the low road on the oil
pressure gauge issue.

Hope they have properly rectified that issue.

Chris
99BBB

Old March 29th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote
> Hey, did we get a real oil pressure gauge back now in the NC?

It's real. Early on when the NC was making the fire engine tour there was a
video of the dash while the engine was being revved. Everyone was real
excited to see the needle move. It doesn't take much for some of us.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old March 29th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>Hey, did we get a real oil pressure gauge back now in the NC?
>It's always really bothered me that Mazda took the low road on the oil
>pressure gauge issue.
>
>Hope they have properly rectified that issue.

They did. The problem with oil gauges is that dealers get deluged with
questions about the customers' oil pressure being wrong. ("It used to
be 60 psi, but then I drove and I now I notice it no longer gets the
right pressure at idle.")

What Mazda has done on the new gauge is design it such that it varies
over the full length of the scale. At idle, it is almost completely
at the left stop, at any rpm, it is almost at the right end. Result:
even the dimmest customer gets used to it being all over the place all
the time and does not bother the dealer. I think the medical community
calls this "desensitization."

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 29th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

> What Mazda has done on the new gauge is design it such that it varies
> over the full length of the scale.

Is it calibrated (with numbers)?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old March 29th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> (Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
>> What Mazda has done on the new gauge is design it such that it varies
>> over the full length of the scale.

>Is it calibrated (with numbers)?

No.

Leon
--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
Old March 29th 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Well, obviously, Mazda decided not to take the high road but to at least
exit the low road, these days we'll call that a success.

My knock on Mazda, back in the day, when the NA had a good gauge, is that
all they had to do to rectify the problem was to explain the workings of the
gauge in the owners manual (it's full description / explanation in my 92
owners manual: "Oil Pressure Gauge"). Some people would look there and read
and understand and the other 2/3's would have made that call but the
dealerships could have easily said "there's a full description of the
correct workings of the gauge in your owners manual" done!

Albright, I'll jump down off the soapbox............

Glad it's sort of back,
Chris
99BBB

http://johnmcgaw.com

Old March 30th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

>Well, obviously, Mazda decided not to take the high road but to at least
>exit the low road, these days we'll call that a success.
>
>My knock on Mazda, back in the day, when the NA had a good gauge, is that
>all they had to do to rectify the problem was to explain the workings of the
>gauge in the owners manual

That might certainly help keep some of the 0.1% of owners who read a
significant fraction of the 200-300 page (estimated) owners manual
out of the dealers service dept and into more owner's manual reading.

> (it's full description / explanation in my 92
>owners manual: "Oil Pressure Gauge"). Some people would look there and read
>and understand and the other 2/3's would have made that call but the
>dealerships could have easily said "there's a full description of the
>correct workings of the gauge in your owners manual" done!

For the dealer to say so, I would think the customer is already in the
service department. And the user is not going to ask to be explained
the gauge reading, but that he is here because the gauge does no longer
read as high/low as it did earlier under the same conditions, "a big
difference."

Leon

http://johnmcgaw.com

--
Leon van Dommelen Bess, the Miata Bozo, the Miata
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
The only thing better than a white Miata is two white Miatas

Temp Guage Fluctuation - 98 Explorer VJC Ford Explorer 5 November 27th 05 04:22 PM
93 caprice classic temp guage not working [email protected] Technology 5 July 9th 05 12:20 AM
Gas Guage Stuck Shadowdancer BMW 14 April 25th 05 05:28 PM
Any issues with installing outdoor temp guage? JeremyE Honda 2 March 16th 05 04:17 PM
98 Ford Explorer Oil Pressure Guage kevins25 Ford Explorer 0 January 3rd 05 09:08 PM