Chrysler engines

Old July 20th 05, 06:03 PM

Default Chrysler engines

In order not to prolong the warranty thread, I made a broad statement the
other day that
Chrysler had always made good dependable engines, to my knowledge. I can't
remember
one that had problems with cracked blocks, premature wear, etc.

The old slant six was good for a couple hundred thou, frequently. And the
V8 have been
legendary for their toughness.

Of the Big Three American manufacturers, GM has possibly put out some of the
worst (and best)
engines, with Ford not far behind.

Have I missed some Chrysler clunkers, or given the other two too little
credit?

Old July 20th 05, 08:45 PM

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message
> In article >,

> wrote:
> > Have I missed some Chrysler clunkers, or given the other two too little
> > credit?

> How did their aluminum six hold up? I know the Rambler aluminum mill
> was prone to all kinds of problems, and many were replaced with cast-iron
> jobs while still under warranty.
>
> --
> Roger Blake
> (Subtract 10 for email.)

Im not sure about that one, Roger. Chrysler had some cars that were
relabels of Mitsubishi too,
and I don't really know if they used some of these engines in their domestic
cars. Will try to check it,
for sure.

Old July 20th 05, 08:54 PM

I found reference to 1961-1964 aluminum sixes used in Ramblers,
with a reputation for unreliability. Some say the reputation was
unwarranted,
but I think it should stick.

Chrysler didn't buy AMC until considerably later.

I obought a 1975 AMC Sportabout Wagon after the birth of my son, and this
little car
was pretty durable. The 258 CID cast iron L6 burned a little oil from the
very
beginning and never stopped, and mileage was pretty poor for this type of
car,
but I never really regretted buying it.

Old July 20th 05, 10:54 PM
William R. Watt

>.. Chrysler had some cars that were
> relabels of Mitsubishi too,
> and I don't really know if they used some of these engines in their domestic
> cars. Will try to check it,
> for sure.

I don't think they count as Chrysler engines. They are Mitsubishi engines.
There was one in my '82 Dodge Colt. They had a reputation for needing
rings at 100k km (60k miles). Mine did. White smoke.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old July 21st 05, 02:36 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Roger Blake wrote:

> How did their aluminum six hold up? I know the Rambler aluminum mill was
> prone to all kinds of problems, and many were replaced with cast-iron
> jobs while still under warranty.

The aluminum 225 slant-6 has no systematic problems at all -- except for
knowitall owners used something other than glycol-based antifreeze in the
cooling systems. The design of the engine is extremely robust
(integrally-cast iron cylinder liners, deep-skirt die-cast aluminum block,
beefy factory align-bored cast iron upper and lower main bearing caps,
etc). Proper procedure must be followed when installing the head gasket,
but that's true with everything. I have owned five of these engines --
still own two -- and they're not much less robust than the iron version of
the same engine. Certainly Chrysler never had to engage in warranty
heroics as AMC and (later, with the Vega) GM did with their more halfassed
efforts.

Old July 21st 05, 02:40 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, William R. Watt wrote:

> I don't think they count as Chrysler engines. They are Mitsubishi engines.

Chrysler was dumb enough to buy the Bitsu****ti Astron 2.6 litre "Silent
Shaft" engine and install it in a lot of K-cars and minivans from '81
through '86.

Apparently having failed to learn the lesson, Chrysler paid Bitsu****ti to
pull prolonged "No, really, we've fixed it this year, this time for
sure" shenanigans on them between 1987 and 1994 with the 3.0 litre V6.
Post-'94 3.0s aren't bad engines.

Old July 21st 05, 01:59 PM

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Roger Blake wrote:

That Vega engine has to be one of the worst GM ever made. The metallurgy
sounded very
high tech, and the promise was there, but they were just no good.

Old July 21st 05, 03:18 PM
Don Stauffer

> In order not to prolong the warranty thread, I made a broad statement the
> other day that
> Chrysler had always made good dependable engines, to my knowledge. I can't
> remember
> one that had problems with cracked blocks, premature wear, etc.
>
> The old slant six was good for a couple hundred thou, frequently. And the
> V8 have been
> legendary for their toughness.
>
> Of the Big Three American manufacturers, GM has possibly put out some of the
> worst (and best)
> engines, with Ford not far behind.
>
> Have I missed some Chrysler clunkers, or given the other two too little
> credit?

I was not able to get that much milage from my old slant six, though it
was still a great, reliable engine. I had one rocker arm fail in one,
had to replace distrib. cap on the same one also.

Did have carb problems in a couple of others. Mopar made carb float out
of plastic- a plastic that would eventually absorb too much gasoline and
no longer float :-)

I have a Neon now. A great little R/T. Did have to have head gasket
replaced, though under warranty. Thing that gripes me about it,
however, is that apparently they new the gasket was defective design,
and had revision already when car was built, but didn't want to just
throw out their stock of the old ones. I can't believe what they saved
on using old gaskets was cheaper than all the warranty work they had to do.

We are on our third minivan. Had clutch problems on first, due to
defective design again, but other than that they have been super
reliable. First two were the four cyl. New one is V6- hope it is as
good as the fours.
Old July 21st 05, 08:40 PM

"Don Stauffer" > wrote in message

> We are on our third minivan. Had clutch problems on first, due to
> defective design again, but other than that they have been super
> reliable. First two were the four cyl. New one is V6- hope it is as
> good as the fours.

Good on ya...I assume the first one had a manual tranny?
There are getting to be fewer and fewer vehicles available with manuals.