Renix flywheel question?

Old June 20th 05, 05:10 PM

Default Renix flywheel question?

I'm swapping an injected 4 liter from a 90 Cherokee into my 83 CJ7. (I
DO have ALL of the harness, injecters, computer and sensors etc. from
the Cherokee.) However the Cherokee was an AUTO trans - and my CJ7 has
a MANUAL trans --- so I need a flywheel that is compatible with the
Renix fuel injection system that the Cherokee motor (engine) uses.

(By the way - I've chosen to NOT relocate the CPS to the front of the
engine using the relocation kits from either Hesco or Advance.)

My question: In sourcing a flywheel so the CPS will function properly
must I find one from another Renix equipped Cherokee (87 - 90 only) OR
can I successfully use one from a newer Cherokee (91 or later) or one
from a 91 or later Wrangler?

Thanks

Lynn in Vancouver WA

Old June 21st 05, 12:12 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Lynn,
Just a guess, but I would say without the front adapter you're
committed to using a shock flywheel, bellhousing and transmission from
the 88 to 90 Jeep Cherokee only. Just like they're separated at:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...tdcsensor.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 21st 05, 04:33 AM

I'm sorta guessing the same thing - esp as it relates to the flywheel.

There are a couple places (Novak, Advance Adapters, etc) who can / will
machine my bellhousing so the CPS will mount properly and be in the
right place to "read" the flywheel notches - but it's apparently gotta
be the correct flywheel. Later flywheels are also "read" by a CPS
mounted in the same location - but are a different system, and
therefore - alas - not compatible with my Renix based system.

The big plus is that I can then use my stock (swapped in some time ago)
T176 trans etc.

Was hopeing someone in the group had personal knowledge to confirm what
I suspect (and you sorta indicate also) that I must use a Renix (87 -
90) flywheel.

So I'll keep looking for the "right flywheel" - and I'll throw it open
to the group ....

Any body got a 87 - 90 Cherokee 4.0 flywheel (manual trans) that
they're itching to sell OR can point me to a reliable boneyard that's
got one?

Thanks
Lynn in Vancouver

Old June 21st 05, 04:38 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You don't want that Japanese AX-15, keep the Real Borg Warner and
buy the crank sensor.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 22nd 05, 05:21 AM

Thanks - but I guess I'm a little confused. Are you saying that the
T176 is same as the "Japanese AX-15"?
First time I've heard that.

Got any good links tht would help me with understanding .....

Old June 22nd 05, 06:28 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm saying keep your Real Transmission, bellhousing, flywheel
pressure plate and disk. Buy the simple front crank adapter sending unit
to hook up your new computer. You may see the later bellhousings only
bolt up to the puny Japanese crap:
http://www.billhughes.com/ax5_ax15.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 23rd 05, 05:46 AM

Without getting into a long debate - I believe I'm in good shape.

By having the 1980 JEEP bellhousing machined to accept the needed CPS
so it can read the notches on the 88 Cherokee flywheel I just picked
up, and then using my T176 trans I believe I'm in good shape. Also
allows use stock Jeep clutch, pressure plate, and throw-out bearing etc
- as did the Jeep factory. Pretty much Real Jeep stuff - as you have
recommended.
Based on what I had determined through my discussions with others
(subsequent to my original post), the adapter sending units are much
more trouble prone than is the route I am taking.

I do however apprecite your sage advice.

Thanks

By the way - as with many other parts, and sub-assemblies, I understand
that the T176 was really a "medium duty Ford transmission manufactured
by Tremec in Mexico" - and was used by Jeep in building CJ's from 1980
- 87 and other Jeep trucks from 1980 - 87.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/t176.html

Old June 23rd 05, 05:56 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Like medium duty as compared to Fuller?