Aircraft engine in a VW

Old May 29th 05, 11:18 PM

Default Aircraft engine in a VW

Try this on.

I've heard of several folks using vw based engines in an aircraft. The
old volksplane and there used to be an ultralight powered by half a vw
engine. Has anybody ever heard of someone putting an airplane engine in
a vw? The old Continental C65 and C85 and the O200 are pretty much the
same design as our trusty VW motors. Just wondering if anybody has even
made it work. One would have to build an exhaust system from stratch.
And the intake too for that matter (think quad port instead of dual
port)but except for aranging a clutch, I can't see any reason it
wouldn't work and be a blast. Especially for off road.

Whatdayathink?

<><
TC

Old May 30th 05, 12:03 AM
johnboy

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Try this on.
>
> I've heard of several folks using vw based engines in an aircraft. The
> old volksplane and there used to be an ultralight powered by half a vw
> engine. Has anybody ever heard of someone putting an airplane engine in
> a vw?
> TC

it might be cool to think of a Lycoming flat-4 360 in a bug but it won't fit
and you know aircraft engines are built to be very low-rpm torque-monsters -
not particularly suitable for the road, no?

fwiw, f. Porsche originally wanted a radial engine in the early vision of
the peoples car,

Old May 30th 05, 04:27 AM
Eduardo K.

In article >,
johnboy > wrote:

>fwiw, f. Porsche originally wanted a radial engine in the early vision of
>the peoples car,

radial, aircooled and two stroke!

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://www.carfun.cl | Murphy, la oportunidad.
Old May 30th 05, 05:06 PM

True...but.

For a car, the tolerances wouldn't have to be what they are in an
airplane. I've removed several mag sets that could have been repaired
IF the FAA would allow them but no, aircraft mechanics are slowly being
reduced to parts changers. Thats why I love homebuilders. Don't buy it
when you can build it. Anyway, thats a whole other story.

I agree with the low rpm, high torque post above, thats why I thought
it might be an interesting combo on like a rail buggy with the old
style bus gear reduction trans. The C65 didn't have an electrical
system so a starter would be an issue. The intake and exhaust could be
built as can a cooling shroud and fan. A run out O200 would still last
a long time in a buggy if one had the grey matter to get it mated to
the trans.

I just thought it an interesting topic of discussion. I drove my buggy
to work Saturday (about 50 miles on the interstate each way) and one of
the other pilots who had never seen a VW motor commented that it looked
a lot like an O200.

<><
TC

Old May 31st 05, 04:26 AM
Busahaulic

"johnboy" > wrote in message
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Try this on.
> >
> > I've heard of several folks using vw based engines in an aircraft. The
> > old volksplane and there used to be an ultralight powered by half a vw
> > engine. Has anybody ever heard of someone putting an airplane engine in
> > a vw?
> > TC

> it might be cool to think of a Lycoming flat-4 360 in a bug but it won't

fit
> and you know aircraft engines are built to be very low-rpm

torque-monsters -
> not particularly suitable for the road, no?
>
> fwiw, f. Porsche originally wanted a radial engine in the early vision of
> the peoples car,

When I win the Lotto, one of these suckers is going in my bus!
http://www.dynacam.com/Index.htm
12 cylinders / 650 ft.lbs. torque at 1200rpm / 13" x 40" / 265 pounds
TWELVE firing impulses PER revolution!
Who cares what it would take to make it work - hell, the sound of this thing
has got to be symphonic!
-BaH (symphonic?)

Old May 31st 05, 04:49 AM
Anthony W

Tucker bought out the Franklin aircraft engine company and had one of
their airplane engines converted to watercooled. For those that don't
know the Tucker had a rear engine water cooled boxer 4, but the early
prototypes were aircooled.

I'm not sure what happened to the Franklin company. I know they were
sold off after Tucker went broke.

A 2.2 or 2.5 Subaru is going to give the most bang for the buck in a VW
based dune buggy. All the adapters are all off the shelf items and the
engines are commonly available.

Tony
Old May 31st 05, 05:25 AM
Busahaulic

Funny you should mention the Subey engine!
http://photos.yahoo.com/busahaulic01

Old May 31st 05, 06:56 AM
Anthony W

Busahaulic wrote:
> Funny you should mention the Subey engine!
> http://photos.yahoo.com/busahaulic01

For the most part I was talking about the Tucker but I did bring up
Subaru. I've seen that site before, is that your bus?

Tony