2003 Grand Caravan No Speedo or Tach after Dead battery

Old July 5th 06, 05:53 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Arthur Dent

Default 2003 Grand Caravan No Speedo or Tach after Dead battery

Hi,

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport.

Not knowing it had a dead battery, I tried to start it.

As I watched, the Speedometer and Tachometer needles

rotated all the way clockwise to the stop on the left by the zero.

I replaced the battery with a new one.

The needles for the speedo and tach are still there on the wrong side of the stop.

Everything else works.

I tried the reset button_turn on the key_test many times,

but it never did anything.

Off_on etc. test gives a code of P1684 which says battery changed

and done.

Any help or hints will be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise I'm planning on pulling the cluster to see if I can move the needles myself.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

Glen

Old July 5th 06, 06:38 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
dbu

I had a similar problem on my '05 and got this kind response from the
group:

TRY THIS!!! take and hold the trip button in on the odometer and turn
the
ignition key on while still holding it and see if the cluster goes into
self diagnostic mode to reset the gauges.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

It didn't work for me the first few times, but I believe my last attempt
I held in the trip button, started the car, kept the trip button in and
turned off the key.

The instrument cluster then started "dancing" before my eyes (quite an
impressive self test, actually) and all was well after that. But the
self test runs with the car off, not on I realized.

DB

Old July 5th 06, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"dbu" > wrote in message ...
I had a similar problem on my '05 and got this kind response from the group:

TRY THIS!!! take and hold the trip button in on the odometer and turn the
ignition key on while still holding it and see if the cluster goes into a

Arthur Dent wrote:

Hi,
I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport.

Not knowing it had a dead battery, I tried to start it.

As I watched, the Speedometer and Tachometer needles

rotated all the way clockwise to the stop on the left by the zero.

I replaced the battery with a new one.

The needles for the speedo and tach are still there on the wrong side of the stop.

Everything else works.

I tried the reset button_turn on the key_test many times,

but it never did anything.

Off_on etc. test gives a code of P1684 which says battery changed

and done.

Any help or hints will be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise I'm planning on pulling the cluster to see if I can move the needles myself.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

Glen

Well Im glad to see that it worked for you!!!

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
Old July 5th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
maxpower

"Arthur Dent" > wrote in message news:38Sqg.111372$TK1.79461@fed1read06...
Hi,

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport.

Not knowing it had a dead battery, I tried to start it.

As I watched, the Speedometer and Tachometer needles

rotated all the way clockwise to the stop on the left by the zero.

I replaced the battery with a new one.

The needles for the speedo and tach are still there on the wrong side of the stop.

Everything else works.

I tried the reset button_turn on the key_test many times,

but it never did anything.

Off_on etc. test gives a code of P1684 which says battery changed

and done.

Any help or hints will be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise I'm planning on pulling the cluster to see if I can move the needles myself.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

Glen

The self test should take care of your problem as stated.

Glenn Beasley

Chrysler Tech

Old July 5th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Arthur Dent

Default 2003 Grand Caravan FIXED No Speedo or Tach after Dead battery

Hi

I followed your suggestion:

Push in and hold Trip/Reset button

Start Engine