How to check for space *before* denting hood?

Old January 2nd 12, 12:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default How to check for space *before* denting hood?

I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
will hit the hood when it's lowered.

How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?

I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
wad size.

Thanks
Old January 2nd 12, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Vic Smith

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:29:12 -0500, micky >
wrote:

>I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
>will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>
>How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>
>I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
>wad size.
>
>Thanks

A car accessory should tell you what car it fits on.
If not you just eyeball it.
Is this for those holes you were talking about making?
Anyway, unless you know how to do it, don't.
If you do, close the hood slowly when you done.

--Vic

Old January 2nd 12, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03

On Jan 1, 7:29*pm, micky > wrote:
> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>
> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>
> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
> wad size.
>
> Thanks

Cut some foam or something else that won't damage the hood to the same
size as your "accessory".

Sprinkle baby powder on the top of it and close the hood.

I'll let you figure out the rest on your own.
Old January 2nd 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
cshenk

micky wrote in alt.home.repair:

> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>
> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>
> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
> wad size.
>
> Thanks

Ok, take a long broom or something else with straight wood. Place this
over the open hood. Measure under it to see how much free room there
is for the item. Now lift it and make sure you measure to same spot on
the hood, measure above it and add the 2 to see if it fits.

Old January 2nd 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Paul in Houston TX

micky wrote:
> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>
> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>
> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
> wad size.
>
> Thanks

Cut styrofoam to size (comes with new electronic stuff)
and coat with titanium dioxide (sun block stuff).
Old January 2nd 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 16:49:09 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
> wrote:

>On Jan 1, 7:29*pm, micky > wrote:
>> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
>> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>>
>> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>>
>> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
>> wad size.
>>
>> Thanks

>Cut some foam or something else that won't damage the hood to the same
>size as your "accessory".
>
>Sprinkle baby powder on the top of it and close the hood.

A good idea. I have some baby powder too!

>I'll let you figure out the rest on your own.

I have to think about it.
Old January 2nd 12, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 18:59:26 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>micky wrote in alt.home.repair:
>
>> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
>> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>>
>> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>>
>> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
>> wad size.
>>
>> Thanks

>Ok, take a long broom or something else with straight wood. Place this
>over the open hood. Measure under it to see how much free room there
>is for the item. Now lift it and make sure you measure to same spot on
>the hood, measure above it and add the 2 to see if it fits.

I like this too. I will try it tomorrow. Even if there are other
ways for this situation, I want to practice for when yours is the only
way.
Old January 2nd 12, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 20:00:49 -0600, Paul in Houston TX
> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
>> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>>
>> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>>
>> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
>> wad size.
>>
>> Thanks

>Cut styrofoam to size (comes with new electronic stuff)
>and coat with titanium dioxide (sun block stuff).

I think this is best today. I have some near-styrofoam that I saved
from the trash just in case, and it's been in the way and getting on
my nerves. This must be the reason I saved it.

It was 5 feet long and an 3/4 inch thick, until it broke in half.
Couldn't figure out how I would use it but didn't want to throw it
away.

Thanks, Paul, Cs, Derby, and Vic

Old January 2nd 12, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Pete C.

micky wrote:

> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>
> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>
> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
> wad size.
>
> Thanks

Get a blob of modeling clay, or just make a still water-flour dough, put
it inside a plastic baggie (unsealed) and then do the squeeze test to
capture the representation of the clearance.
Old January 2nd 12, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
The Daring Dufas[_2_]

On 1/1/2012 6:29 PM, micky wrote:
> I need to put a small accessory under the hood of my car, but fear it
> will hit the hood when it's lowered.
>
> How do people decide before deniting the hood if something is too big?
>
> I tried wadded up newspaper, but it just sprang back to the original
> wad size.
>
> Thanks

Use a little kid or a drunk friend, the sounds they make will let you
know how much clearance you have. ^_^

TDD

Space Camper Kanguru VW water cooled 0 June 22nd 06 11:27 PM
Space Camper Kanguru VW water cooled 0 June 22nd 06 11:26 PM
Space Camper Kanguru VW air cooled 0 June 22nd 06 11:26 PM
WTB: Rabbit Hood Latch & Rear Door Check Strap Keith Winkler VW water cooled 0 June 18th 06 11:33 PM
trunck space! [email protected] Technology 2 January 16th 06 12:24 PM