5W20 in 2000 Accord?

Old February 17th 05, 02:50 PM
Cameron Tilson

Default 5W20 in 2000 Accord?

Hi all,

At my last oil/filter change on my 2000 Accord 4 cyl (at the dealer), the
invoice indicated 5W20 - service advisor explained that they are using 5W20
now for all years/models. This despite the factory recommended 5W30 for a
'2000. I have had my car serviced at the dealer since new on the
assumption that they should know the car best - now I am not sure - any
opinions? I will insist on 5W30 the next time (as warmer weather
approaches!)

Cheers,

Cameron Tilson
Montreal, Qc
Canada

Old February 17th 05, 04:09 PM

Cameron Tilson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At my last oil/filter change on my 2000 Accord 4 cyl (at the dealer),

the
> invoice indicated 5W20 - service advisor explained that they are

using 5W20
> now for all years/models. This despite the factory recommended 5W30

for a
> '2000. I have had my car serviced at the dealer since new on the
> assumption that they should know the car best - now I am not sure -

any
> opinions? I will insist on 5W30 the next time (as warmer weather
> approaches!)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cameron Tilson
> Montreal, Qc
> Canada

You'll find a lot of threads on this if you search. The current
generation of Hondas are using 5W20, and they are recommending this for
some older ones now. Some owners are okay with this, and some are
ticked off and ignoring the recommendation. The mechanical specs of
Honda engines haven't been changed, just the oil recommendation. To
get a tenth or so additional miles per gallon. So it should be just as
good (or bad) to use 5W20 in a 2000 as in a 2005.

Personally, I'd stick with 5W30 or even 10W30 where conditions allow.
Only 10W30 has a 6,000 mile/10,000 km lifespan to the oil. 5W30 is
less before it starts breaking down, and 5W20 is even less, about
3,000mi/5,000km. So you can use it, but you've gotta keep changing it.
IMHO, using 5W20 with a 10,000mi oil change interval is crazy and not
supported by actual oil sample testing, but it is the recommendation
for current I4 models.

JM

Old February 17th 05, 10:15 PM
Pars

Over an oil change interval, if the engine's not loosing any oil, I'd go
with the thinner stuff. I'm assuming that the 5W20 is thinner then 5W30 and
thus flows better at regular operating temperatures.

Or, if the engine gets excessive use and/or driven hard, I'd go with Mobe-1
5W30.

Pars

Old February 18th 05, 03:17 AM

Pars (remove) wrote:
> Over an oil change interval, if the engine's not loosing any oil, I'd

go
> with the thinner stuff. I'm assuming that the 5W20 is thinner then

5W30 and
> thus flows better at regular operating temperatures.
>
> Or, if the engine gets excessive use and/or driven hard, I'd go with

Mobe-1
> 5W30.

Bobistheoilguy.com posts oil test numbers. Mobil 1 0W20 is apparently
beating out Mobil 1 5W30 for reduced engine wear. Go figure.

JM

Old February 20th 05, 07:37 AM
Mike Smith

Pars wrote:

> I've increased my oil change interval to 15,000km. Perhaps another car will
> 'gum-up' the oil too quickly and thus require more frequent oil-change
> intervals, but after 15000km of use, the mobel-1 oil in my Honda engine is
> still silky smooth. I've heard that VW's and Toyota engines are susceptible
> to gunk build-up and in those cases, frequent oil changes would be a
> necessity.

With the VWs, it's really only the 1.8T that has that problem, as
opposed to the normally aspirated engines; as a result, 5W40 is recommended.

--
Mike Smith
Old February 20th 05, 12:11 PM
Pars

"Mike Smith" > wrote in message
> Pars wrote:
> >
> > I've increased my oil change interval to 15,000km. Perhaps another car

will
> > 'gum-up' the oil too quickly and thus require more frequent oil-change
> > intervals, but after 15000km of use, the mobel-1 oil in my Honda engine

is
> > still silky smooth. I've heard that VW's and Toyota engines are

susceptible
> > to gunk build-up and in those cases, frequent oil changes would be a
> > necessity.

> With the VWs, it's really only the 1.8T that has that problem, as
> opposed to the normally aspirated engines; as a result, 5W40 is

recommended.

That's too bad. Hopefully, VW's got the problem beat with there new 2.0T. My
friends 1999 1.8T Passat has over 220,000 miles and he's had the oil pump
replaced twice (the first time was under warranty). The engine/car still
kicks butt, but it's costly to maintain (His Passat is a sweet setup with
5sp, leather and sunroof).

Pars