1990 Lebaron - 2 problems (both related to starting)

Old November 18th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
JustMe

Default 1990 Lebaron - 2 problems (both related to starting)

Had this bomb for a while. Really very reliable, can take long trips
and all (~300 miles each way). Lock cylinder broke the other day. I
bought a star bit set and took the assembly off and am able to start
the car by turning the components, but I would like to substitute
*something*, and don't want to pay 140$ for a new lock cylinder/
assembly (the whole car isn't worth that). Is starting the car as
simple as applying 12vdc to one wire? No, I would assume not, given
there are 2 harnesses and at least 10 wires running into/out of this
assembly. Any help would be appreciated.

***NOTE**** Also had to jam a suitably sized screwdriver in the
appropriate place in the steering column to keep the steering wheel
from locking up on turns. If you're as stupid as me and will go this
route, make sure you have a RELIABLE means of keeping the steering
wheel from locking. If the steering wheel should lock up on you when
you're going 40+ mph, or slower even, you are likely to KILL YOURSELF
and possibly even the occupants of another vehicle.

2nd issue. Car more often then not *clicks* when attempting to start.
This could be 1-3 times, or even 70-80 times. In other words it takes
that many clicks before it actually turns over. <turn key> *click*
<turn key> *click, not <turn key> *click click click click click* like
when the batter is low. Could this just be a faulty connection (at the
starter?), or is it actually a problem w/the starter. It's been
clicking for a long time...

Thanks in advance.
Old November 18th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman[_2_]

On the click- no-start, this could be for a number of reasons. I'd suggest
you verify the battery is good and that the connections to the battery posts
are clean and tight. Similarly, verify the connections at the starter and
the engine block are also clean and tight. If these all check out good,
then I'd suspect the starter solenoid contacts. I do not know if that
vehicle used the same Nippondenso starter as other Chrysler vehicles, but if
it does, then these are fairly cheap and easy to replace once you get the
starter off the vehicle (solenoid is attached on the starter). If you
search the archives for click no start or do google search for Nippondenso
starter solenoid, you will find a link to several photos and people selling
the copper contacts for a few bucks each. If it is the solenoid, ten it
will eventually fail and not start at all. This usually gives you a few
weeks to months notice before it fails completely, so you should fix it now
before you need a tow. Good luck.

Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

Bob

Old November 19th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Bob Shuman wrote:
> On the click- no-start, this could be for a number of reasons. I'd suggest
> you verify the battery is good and that the connections to the battery posts
> are clean and tight. Similarly, verify the connections at the starter and
> the engine block are also clean and tight. If these all check out good,
> then I'd suspect the starter solenoid contacts. I do not know if that
> vehicle used the same Nippondenso starter as other Chrysler vehicles, but if
> it does, then these are fairly cheap and easy to replace once you get the
> starter off the vehicle (solenoid is attached on the starter). If you
> search the archives for click no start or do google search for Nippondenso
> starter solenoid, you will find a link to several photos and people selling
> the copper contacts for a few bucks each. If it is the solenoid, ten it
> will eventually fail and not start at all. This usually gives you a few
> weeks to months notice before it fails completely, so you should fix it now
> before you need a tow. Good luck.
>
> Here is a link to get you started:
>
> http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml
>

> Bob
>
> "JustMe" > wrote in message
>> Had this bomb for a while. Really very reliable, can take long trips
>> and all (~300 miles each way). Lock cylinder broke the other day. I
>> bought a star bit set and took the assembly off and am able to start
>> the car by turning the components, but I would like to substitute
>> *something*, and don't want to pay 140$ for a new lock cylinder/
>> assembly (the whole car isn't worth that). Is starting the car as
>> simple as applying 12vdc to one wire? No, I would assume not, given
>> there are 2 harnesses and at least 10 wires running into/out of this
>> assembly. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> ***NOTE**** Also had to jam a suitably sized screwdriver in the
>> appropriate place in the steering column to keep the steering wheel
>> from locking up on turns. If you're as stupid as me and will go this
>> route, make sure you have a RELIABLE means of keeping the steering
>> wheel from locking. If the steering wheel should lock up on you when
>> you're going 40+ mph, or slower even, you are likely to KILL YOURSELF
>> and possibly even the occupants of another vehicle.
>>
>> 2nd issue. Car more often then not *clicks* when attempting to start.
>> This could be 1-3 times, or even 70-80 times. In other words it takes
>> that many clicks before it actually turns over. <turn key> *click*
>> <turn key> *click, not <turn key> *click click click click click* like
>> when the batter is low. Could this just be a faulty connection (at the
>> starter?), or is it actually a problem w/the starter. It's been
>> clicking for a long time...
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

I also thought it probably is solenoid contacts (if, as Bob said, it has
the Nippondenso starter, which it probably does). Best deal for the
contacts if so is www.partsameric.com. Finding the part on that site
can be tricky - once you select your vehicle, you have to put just the
right word in the search line to have the solenoid and plunger kit come
up as a choice. In the past, I have found the magic word to be
"solenoid" - nothing else worked. On the page that comes up, click on
"Starter solenoid repair kit". Cost including shipping will be around
$25 - includes contacts and plunger.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')