Removing exhaust bolts at manifold

Old May 9th 05, 08:46 PM
M.Burns

Default Removing exhaust bolts at manifold

Anyone know best way to remove the bolts connecting the front exhaust Y-pipe
from the left and right cast iron exhaust manifolds on a mid-70's Chevy.
Appears bolts are threaded into the cast iron manifolds ...and looks like a
perfect situation for broken bolts if I try to remove them with just torque.
Cutting through the bolts even less desirable.
I suspect places like Midas have to do this fairly frequently. What is the
best procedure? Heat+WD40+ ..possibly an impact wrench??
Advise
M.B.

Old May 9th 05, 09:31 PM
M.Burns

Just me again. I didn't look under the car yet, but I suspect rather than
bolts, I'm dealing with nuts on threaded studs in the manifolds. Does only
breaking the nut loose reduce the risk ..rather than having to back a bolt
out of the manifold as I originally thought? M.B.

Old May 9th 05, 10:28 PM
Steve W.

"M.Burns" > wrote in message
> Just me again. I didn't look under the car yet, but I suspect rather

than
> bolts, I'm dealing with nuts on threaded studs in the manifolds. Does

only
> breaking the nut loose reduce the risk ..rather than having to back

a bolt
> out of the manifold as I originally thought? M.B.
>
> "M.Burns" > wrote in message
> > Anyone know best way to remove the bolts connecting the front

exhaust
> Y-pipe
> > from the left and right cast iron exhaust manifolds on a mid-70's

Chevy.
> > Appears bolts are threaded into the cast iron manifolds ...and

looks like
> > perfect situation for broken bolts if I try to remove them with just

> torque.
> > Cutting through the bolts even less desirable.
> > I suspect places like Midas have to do this fairly frequently. What

is the
> > best procedure? Heat+WD40+ ..possibly an impact wrench??
> > Advise
> > M.B.

Nope, Still REALLY EASY to break off those rusted studs. About the only
foolproof way I know of to get them off without worry is to use a small
saw and cut through the nuts on two sides and knock them off. Then
remove the Ypipe and chase the threads with a die so they are nice and
clean for the new nuts. The second method is to heat them up red hot and
let them cool some, then heat them again and try taking them off while
they are hot. Spray some Kroil or Break Free or PB Blaster on them just
before you put the socket on. Coat the stud with some high heat anti
seize before installing the new nuts. Makes them turn easier and may
keep them from rusting on again.

Old May 10th 05, 02:21 AM
pater

Heat them up red, take 'em off. If the studs are re-usable, I wouldn't
do anything but soak 'em with PB or some similar lubricant, put new
nuts back on. If the studs need changed, the same thing can be
acclomplished by applying heat to the manifold ears till they're red
hot (need to be careful here 'cause cast iron will puddle & dissappear
if you overdo the heat) & remove them with a stud removal tool. If you
can't "feel" them moving when trying to twist them out, don't twist
them OFF, reapply heat (sometines 2 or 3 times depending on condition)
till they move. Good luck.

Old May 10th 05, 03:44 PM
ray

M.Burns wrote:
> Anyone know best way to remove the bolts connecting the front exhaust Y-pipe
> from the left and right cast iron exhaust manifolds on a mid-70's Chevy.
> Appears bolts are threaded into the cast iron manifolds ...and looks like a
> perfect situation for broken bolts if I try to remove them with just torque.
> Cutting through the bolts even less desirable.
> I suspect places like Midas have to do this fairly frequently. What is the
> best procedure? Heat+WD40+ ..possibly an impact wrench??
> Advise
> M.B.

On my racecar (76 Camaro) we just removed the manifolds from the car,
filed/ground the remainder of the studs flat and drilled them out. Then
we used regular bolts to put it back together. (with some tweaking of
the bolts.) You could probably re-tap the holes in the manifolds.
(we have to run stock manifolds in my class)

Try penetrating oil and heat and going slow.

Better yet, how about headers?

Ray
Old May 11th 05, 02:21 AM
pater

Patience & heat beat the SH*T out of drilling.

Questions about Repairing My Exhaust Julie P. Technology 12 April 7th 05 09:54 PM
High fuel consumption and cracked exhaust manifold? Jason Honda 4 February 18th 05 02:53 AM
Rusty exhaust bolts Rojo2G Technology 5 January 9th 05 09:54 PM
91 Accord LX 2.2L exhaust manifold cracked Arthur Russell Honda 1 December 19th 04 04:08 AM
Exhaust Manifold / Header question (1996 Accord EX) Chip Stein Honda 0 September 22nd 04 02:23 AM