Is PCIe the future and when?

Old March 3rd 05, 12:12 AM
Rudeboy

Default Is PCIe the future and when?

Looking down the road towards next upgrade. Some way off but GTR might
hurry that along.

From the little I know PCIe seems to be the future. Is that right?
How are prices for cards and MB compared to AGP?
What sort of performance boost is there?
Is there something else even bigger and better over the horizon?
Is there any real point to getting an AGP card now? I mean unless I had to.
(Sitting on a 9800Pro right now whixh seems adequete)

Thanks

Old March 3rd 05, 03:14 AM
Steve Simpson

It's a bit like AGP when it was introduced - it didn't offer much at the
time but was an evolutionary thing. I'd say in 6-12months time it will be
fairly difficult (if not impossible) to buy an AGP version of the latest
cards.

Old March 3rd 05, 08:38 AM
Andi Cole

Not sure anyone does an AGP version of ATI's top end chips X850 for example?

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

Old March 4th 05, 06:38 PM
Larry

If I was buying a new MB and Card at the same time, I'd go PCIe for sure.
Otherwise I don't think I'd worry about it at this point. Just replace what
you need in the format you need it in.

That may eventually change, but not yet.

-Larry