Ford's "Hurricane" Grows To A Category 7!!

Old January 29th 05, 03:21 AM

Default Ford's "Hurricane" Grows To A Category 7!!

You should have heard by now that Ford is developing a new V8 called
the "Hurricane". Initially rumors were there was a lot of debate going
in Ford on about whether the new V8 should be over-head cammed or
over-head valved. Then whispers came out saying the decision was made
to go with overhead valves/pushrods. Talk also had displacement for
the new V8 at 6.1 liters. Well guess what? Now it sounds like the
Hurricane will be a Category 7, as in a full 7-liters. Can you say a
modern 427 cubic inch V8 Ford? Sure you can!
Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old January 29th 05, 05:14 AM
CobraJet

In article .com>,
> wrote:

> You should have heard by now that Ford is developing a new V8 called
> the "Hurricane". Initially rumors were there was a lot of debate going
> in Ford on about whether the new V8 should be over-head cammed or
> over-head valved. Then whispers came out saying the decision was made
> to go with overhead valves/pushrods. Talk also had displacement for
> the new V8 at 6.1 liters. Well guess what? Now it sounds like the
> Hurricane will be a Category 7, as in a full 7-liters. Can you say a
> modern 427 cubic inch V8 Ford? Sure you can!
> Patrick
> '93 Cobra
> '83 LTD

Source?

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 29th 05, 05:26 AM

CobraJet wrote:

> > You should have heard by now that Ford is developing a new V8
> > called the "Hurricane". Initially rumors were there was a lot of
> > debate going in Ford on about whether the new V8 should be
> > over-head cammed or over-head valved. Then whispers came out
> > saying the decision was made to go with overhead valves/pushrods.
> > Talk also had displacement for the new V8 at 6.1 liters. Well
> > guess what? Now it sounds like the Hurricane will be a Category
> > 7, as in a full 7-liters. Can you say a modern 427 cubic inch V8
> > Ford? Sure you can!

> Source?

Motor Trend.

Talking about the GR-1 concept, "Concept car runs on the same 6.4-liter
V-10 used in the Cobra. But Ford sources say the production version
would be powered by the 7.0-liter 'Hurricane' V-8. Target power and
torque is the same as the Cobra V-10 -- more than 600 horse and 500
pound-feet."

Groovy, huh?

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old January 29th 05, 06:00 AM
CobraJet

In article . com>,
> wrote:

> CobraJet wrote:
>
> > > You should have heard by now that Ford is developing a new V8
> > > called the "Hurricane". Initially rumors were there was a lot of
> > > debate going in Ford on about whether the new V8 should be
> > > over-head cammed or over-head valved. Then whispers came out
> > > saying the decision was made to go with overhead valves/pushrods.
> > > Talk also had displacement for the new V8 at 6.1 liters. Well
> > > guess what? Now it sounds like the Hurricane will be a Category
> > > 7, as in a full 7-liters. Can you say a modern 427 cubic inch V8
> > > Ford? Sure you can!

> > Source?

> Motor Trend.
>
> Talking about the GR-1 concept, "Concept car runs on the same 6.4-liter
> V-10 used in the Cobra. But Ford sources say the production version
> would be powered by the 7.0-liter 'Hurricane' V-8. Target power and
> torque is the same as the Cobra V-10 -- more than 600 horse and 500
> pound-feet."
>
> Groovy, huh?

Yes, a pushrod 7-Litre would be groovy IF it is mass produced (read:
available in junkyards down the road) and IF someone tools up a carb
intake and stand-alone timing system.

Back to pushrods. What does that tell you?

CobraJet

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old January 29th 05, 12:59 PM
DriveSpy

The 427 idea (don't forget there was a 427 cammer also that never made to a
street car) would certainly round out the retro theme in the new Mustang. And
the engine (pushrod version) would not be a big package either compared to a
4.6 DOHC. When Ford launched the new Cobra in 96, there were some PR photos of
the new 4.6, 427 cammer, and 429 Boss (?) on engine stands side by side. They
were all so similar in overall size.
Is the new Mustang engine bay any wider than a older one. I was looking
under the hood of a V8 and it looked like there was more space between the
block and strut towers.
Old January 29th 05, 05:31 PM
CobraJet

In article >, DriveSpy
> wrote:

> The 427 idea (don't forget there was a 427 cammer also that never made to a
> street car) would certainly round out the retro theme in the new Mustang. And
> the engine (pushrod version) would not be a big package either compared to a
> 4.6 DOHC. When Ford launched the new Cobra in 96, there were some PR photos
> of
> the new 4.6, 427 cammer, and 429 Boss (?) on engine stands side by side. They
> were all so similar in overall size.
> Is the new Mustang engine bay any wider than a older one. I was looking
> under the hood of a V8 and it looked like there was more space between the
> block and strut towers.

Oh, you bet the new ones have more room. The 4.6 is bigger than a
460, and just as heavy as a 428.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 1st 05, 12:20 AM
JohnR66

Sounds like insanity at todays continued high gas prices. Have trucks and
SUVs rebounded from the slump last year when gas prices went up?
John

oups.com...