1990 Mazda Miata without an A/C installed

Old August 22nd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Trent[_1_]

Default 1990 Mazda Miata without an A/C installed

I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up
at, I live in Central Texas and it's 100+ down here and an a/C is
mandatory.... Thanks for any suggestions you all may have... Trent

Old August 22nd 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
frank

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:13:28 -0700, Trent wrote:

> I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
> A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
> point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up at,
> I live in Central Texas and it's 100+ down here and an a/C is
> mandatory.... Thanks for any suggestions you all may have... Trent

wuss... Real men love to sweat.
Old August 22nd 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Trent[_1_]

frank wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:13:28 -0700, Trent wrote:
>
> > I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
> > A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
> > point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up at,
> > I live in Central Texas and it's 100+ down here and an a/C is
> > mandatory.... Thanks for any suggestions you all may have... Trent

> wuss... Real men love to sweat.

The car was bought for my wife and if I can find an A/C unit to
install in the car. I enjoy driving the car with the top down but the
wife likes the cool air....Trent

Old August 22nd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dano[_1_]

Trent wrote:
> I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
> A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
> point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up
> at, I live in Central Texas and it's 100+ down here and an a/C is
> mandatory.... Thanks for any suggestions you all may have... Trent

Many were and still are sold w/o A/C. I don't know that adding A/C to
a 15 year old car is going to be cost effective.

Old August 22nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-08-22, Trent > wrote:

>> wuss... Real men love to sweat.

> The car was bought for my wife and if I can find an A/C unit
> to install in the car. I enjoy driving the car with the top
> down but the wife likes the cool air

I like the top down _and_ the cool air. If it's hot, turn on
the A/C -- top up or down.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Sign my PETITION.
at
Old August 22nd 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

frank wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:13:28 -0700, Trent wrote:
>

>> I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
>>A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
>>point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up at,
>>I live in Central Texas and it's 100+ down here and an a/C is
>>mandatory.... Thanks for any suggestions you all may have... Trent

> wuss... Real men love to sweat.

I don't mind sweating, but being forced to drive for over two hours in
102 degree blazing sun heat ending at rush hour was about enough to do
me in, and I handle warm weather much better than cold.

Miatas in Texas without A/C should have a glucose I.V. drip installed.
Just plug 'er in and go.

Luckily, my "job" allows me to stay off of the road most of the time
during the days in July and August. Night drives are still pleasant, and
our best top-down driving is coming up in about a month and we will have
many nice days until it heats up again.
72 degrees in December is not uncommon at all.

Pat
Old August 22nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

Trent wrote:
> I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
> A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
> point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up
> at, I live in Central Texas and it's 100+ down here and an a/C is
> mandatory.... Thanks for any suggestions you all may have... Trent

I don't know how anybody could reasonably be expected to know if some
particular vehicle came without air. I can state that I had a '91 that
had no AC so I will be wild and crazy and assume that a '90 might be the
same.

As for finding an AC what you need is a junkyard (sorry "vehicle
recycling center") containing a junked AC'd Miata of similar vintage
(preferably with only rear-end damage) to act as a donor, a service
manual to figure out the wiring and plumbing, and a good friend who runs
a vehicle AC service center who is willing to figure out what needs to
be done. IIRC, some of the required plumbing needed for the evaporator
was pre-installed on my '91 so at least that part of the job should be
easier.

I drove my '91 for 15 years and when I still lived in Alaska the lack of
an AC was quite tolerable but after the move to Tennessee it became the
bane of my existence. Having the '06 with AC is a true joy.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old August 22nd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"Trent" > wrote
> I just bought a 1990 Mazda Miata that the owner said came without an
> A/C installed, can anyone tell me if this is true and if so, can anyone
> point me in the right direction as to where I can pick an A/C unit up

Find someone who is prepping a Spec Miata, those crazy people rip the A/C
out of their Miatas so they can go racing. Search Miata.net classifieds for
complete A/C systems. See:
http://tinyurl.com/qr9lw
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red *WITH* A/C
Inside the Beltway

Old August 23rd 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

John McGaw wrote:

> I don't know how anybody could reasonably be expected to know if some
> particular vehicle came without air. I can state that I had a '91 that
> had no AC so I will be wild and crazy and assume that a '90 might be the
> same.
>
> As for finding an AC what you need is a junkyard (sorry "vehicle
> recycling center") containing a junked AC'd Miata of similar vintage
> (preferably with only rear-end damage) to act as a donor, a service
> manual to figure out the wiring and plumbing, and a good friend who runs
> a vehicle AC service center who is willing to figure out what needs to
> be done. IIRC, some of the required plumbing needed for the evaporator
> was pre-installed on my '91 so at least that part of the job should be
> easier.
>
> I drove my '91 for 15 years and when I still lived in Alaska the lack of
> an AC was quite tolerable but after the move to Tennessee it became the
> bane of my existence. Having the '06 with AC is a true joy.

John,
I have been talking about it for years, but it looks like I will
actually be able to move to the Eastern TN area withing the year. I
stayed in Townsend & Pigeon Forge and loved it, but I would probably end
up in Knoxville, at least at first.

Can you send any information about the area? What the "bad" part of town
is, what the "no way in hell can you afford to live here" area is, etc?

If you don't have the time or inclination, I understand, but I have
tried to get information and I am having trouble finding anything but
"Come to Tennessee" websites.
The discussion boards, including Craigslist, that I have seen for the
area are not very active.

Thanks!

Pat
Old August 23rd 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

pws wrote:
> John McGaw wrote:
>
>> I don't know how anybody could reasonably be expected to know if some
>> particular vehicle came without air. I can state that I had a '91 that
>> had no AC so I will be wild and crazy and assume that a '90 might be
>> the same.
>>
>> As for finding an AC what you need is a junkyard (sorry "vehicle
>> recycling center") containing a junked AC'd Miata of similar vintage
>> (preferably with only rear-end damage) to act as a donor, a service
>> manual to figure out the wiring and plumbing, and a good friend who
>> runs a vehicle AC service center who is willing to figure out what
>> needs to be done. IIRC, some of the required plumbing needed for the
>> evaporator was pre-installed on my '91 so at least that part of the
>> job should be easier.
>>
>> I drove my '91 for 15 years and when I still lived in Alaska the lack
>> of an AC was quite tolerable but after the move to Tennessee it became
>> the bane of my existence. Having the '06 with AC is a true joy.

> John,
> I have been talking about it for years, but it looks like I will
> actually be able to move to the Eastern TN area withing the year. I
> stayed in Townsend & Pigeon Forge and loved it, but I would probably end
> up in Knoxville, at least at first.
>
> Can you send any information about the area? What the "bad" part of town
> is, what the "no way in hell can you afford to live here" area is, etc?
>
> If you don't have the time or inclination, I understand, but I have
> tried to get information and I am having trouble finding anything but
> "Come to Tennessee" websites.
> The discussion boards, including Craigslist, that I have seen for the
> area are not very active.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pat

I would say that the only way to tell is to actually look yourself. It
only takes a two or three days to get some ideas about an area this
small. I flew down from Alaska and spent a week in ETN before deciding
to retire here -- of course I did a lot of research beforehand. I just
isn't possible for me to suggest a neighborhood -- what is a fine
neighborhood to one person might be considered a horrible dump to
another. I wound up buying at the very northern edge of town in an area
called Fountain City and got a rather nice home with 1.25A for < $100K
(after considerable searching and some luck, I'll admit). Yet there are
homes within 1/2 mile of mine that you couldn't touch for $3 Mil. But go
1/2 mile in a different direction and there are homes I wouldn't wish on
an enemy.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]