clunking coming from rear end of double jointed bus

Old February 5th 05, 12:44 PM
tricky

Default clunking coming from rear end of double jointed bus

Hello all
Last night on my way home my rear end started making a noise (ooh eer !! )

The noise was like someone hiting once with a hammer every wheel
revolution. Even with my foot just resting on the gas to keep a
contstant speed. It was louder with more gas and barely noticeable with
my foot on the clutch.

I pulled over and checked for loose stuff.

Wheels were ok.

Moving the axle tube - no movement front to back or up and down (looking
from the back of the bus) but moving to and from wheel to gearbox
(tranny) one side was quite tight as if held by rubber - small movement,
the other side I could move in and out of the wheel/tranny easily a few
inches and would bottom out on something with a clunk.

My guess is a CV joint. But thats just a guess. I have never looked at
/ stripped down a transaxel before.

Any of you with more expereince can shed more light would be appreciated
before I get under with my tool box !

Thanks
Rich
Old February 5th 05, 02:35 PM
Tim Rogers

.....Yes, it's a bad CV joint.

BTDT

Old February 5th 05, 06:18 PM
Shag

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 08:35:35 -0500, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>....Yes, it's a bad CV joint.
>
>BTDT

Either that or he forgot to tie down the body.
BTDT.

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old February 5th 05, 06:50 PM
Tim Rogers

"Shag" > wrote in message

> Either that or he forgot to tie down the body.
> BTDT.

...................There are only a select few who have BTDT

Old February 5th 05, 07:25 PM
tricky

is it easy to fix ?

do they 'just go' or will it let me do another 30 miles on monday before
I strip it down ?

Rich - hoping !

Old February 5th 05, 07:39 PM
Speedy Jim

tricky wrote:

> is it easy to fix ?
>
> do they 'just go' or will it let me do another 30 miles on monday before
> I strip it down ?
>
> Rich - hoping !

Check that none of the bolts are loose first.
If they are all tight, the CV will probably last a while.

You need the special 8mm 12pt drive for the bolts.
Use a drill bit to clean out the bolt heads FIRST!

Order a pair of CV joints (or 2 pair):
http://www.aircooled.net/

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old February 6th 05, 07:54 PM
tricky

OK - spent a few hours stripping it down.
Washed everything in solvent.
put one back together well packed with grease.
when I did the next, i put the cv together and it locked up solid !
very solid.
managed to free it - put the axel in a vice and a socket over the iner
part of the cv and hit it. had to do it a few times before it budged.

can you assemble a cv the wrong way ? did I do something wrong ? or is
this the bad cv ?

got it apart and next time I assembled it packed it with grease it was fine.

put it back in the bus and went for a drive.

wow !!!! I was amazed. before it was banging away like someone with a
hammer. now it was silent .

drove for a few miles and everything was good so I drove home.

I have a hair pin bend into my drive. when I went round it then noise
came back.

Its quieter than before but still clicks sometimes.

how do I tell wich joint to replace. none of the balls were worn. the
cv's showed wear but no scoring.

I would suspect the one that locked up when I assembled it. would you
agree ?

I will buy a CV tommorow and swap one. If it doesnt cure it I will swap
it again ! they seem tight enough. is there any hints to finding the
noisey one ?

Thanks all
Rich

Old February 7th 05, 03:31 AM
Busahaulic

"tricky" > wrote in message
> OK - spent a few hours stripping it down.
> Washed everything in solvent.
> put one back together well packed with grease.
> when I did the next, i put the cv together and it locked up solid !
> very solid.
> managed to free it - put the axel in a vice and a socket over the iner
> part of the cv and hit it. had to do it a few times before it budged.
>
> can you assemble a cv the wrong way ? did I do something wrong ? or is
> this the bad cv ?
>
> got it apart and next time I assembled it packed it with grease it was

fine.

> put it back in the bus and went for a drive.
>
> wow !!!! I was amazed. before it was banging away like someone with a
> hammer. now it was silent .
>
> drove for a few miles and everything was good so I drove home.
>
> I have a hair pin bend into my drive. when I went round it then noise
> came back.
>
> Its quieter than before but still clicks sometimes.
>
> how do I tell wich joint to replace. none of the balls were worn. the
> cv's showed wear but no scoring.
>
> I would suspect the one that locked up when I assembled it. would you
> agree ?
>
> I will buy a CV tommorow and swap one. If it doesnt cure it I will swap
> it again ! they seem tight enough. is there any hints to finding the
> noisey one ?
>
> Thanks all
> Rich
>

> tricky wrote:
> > Hello all
> > Last night on my way home my rear end started making a noise (ooh eer

!! )

> > The noise was like someone hiting once with a hammer every wheel
> > revolution. Even with my foot just resting on the gas to keep a
> > contstant speed. It was louder with more gas and barely noticeable with
> > my foot on the clutch.
> >
> > I pulled over and checked for loose stuff.
> >
> > Wheels were ok.
> >
> > Moving the axle tube - no movement front to back or up and down (looking
> > from the back of the bus) but moving to and from wheel to gearbox
> > (tranny) one side was quite tight as if held by rubber - small movement,
> > the other side I could move in and out of the wheel/tranny easily a few
> > inches and would bottom out on something with a clunk.
> >
> > My guess is a CV joint. But thats just a guess. I have never looked at
> > / stripped down a transaxel before.
> >
> > Any of you with more expereince can shed more light would be appreciated
> > before I get under with my tool box !
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rich

You assembled the cage backwards. I've found over the years to not even try
to keep track of which way they go - just assemble it without grease - still
wet with solvent helps! and if it locks up, you got it wrong. Dip it back in
the solvent to wet everything again and pop it apart only as far as you need
to - to turn the cage around 180 degrees. Now put the last two balls back in
(the ones you had to remove in order to turn the cage around!) dip it in the
solvent again to get it all good and wet again and try it. It stays free
this time. Set that one aside to drip-dry and work on the next one... When
good and dry, pack the special CV joint grease to 'em (Sorry I didn't
mention the special CV joint grease earlier!)
There is a relationship between the three layers - the inner, the outer and
the cage. It is either the inner piece that is backwards when they lock like
that or the cage. Just keep 'em good and wet with solvent and flip those
pieces over until it all works smoothly at angles as well as straight. Make
sense? I hope so.

That clunk when you turn the corner may be the brake part rubbing against
the highest head of your lug bolts or something else loose in the brake area
or even stub axle area.

If the balls are still round and shine up when clean and the ramps that they
ride in on the inner piece and the outer piece are not checked or cracked,
chances are they'll go another 50-60,000 miles with a good grease job.

Find the source of the clunking. I now strongly suspect it is NOT a CV
joint. Generally CV joint clunking is not a single clunk per revolution
either. It is more of a chatter sound - usually.

There is a notch in the drive flange - the surface that the lug bolts are
seated in and which is covered by the brake drum - that notch is the only
thing I can think of that will cause a once-per-revolution noise when
something loose is rubbing against it or flopping over to contact it in a
cornering situation. Try with a helper hanging out the window to determine
which side the noise is on, then open up that brake drum and look for things
that are loose enough to flop around.

I always have to keep my rear brakes adjusted with very little play in order
to keep the handbrake parts from contacting the drive flange and lugbolt
heads. If I pull the brake handle out more than a couple inches I know it's
time to adjust rear brakes again. You might just try pulling your handbrake
on about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way - to where some of the slack is out, but it
is not yet dragging the shoes in the drum - and drive around some corners
and see if the noise still occurs. If my theory is correct, it should be
quiet. (Unless one of the springs broke and a shoe is flopping around!)

Find the source of the noise first - before you buy the CV. - BaH

Old February 7th 05, 08:59 PM
tricky

I checked the handbrake when the noise first started. It didnt make any
difference.

Just a thought. I used multi purpose grease that I had on the shelf.

Is there anything special about the proper stuff ?

Today the noise stopped - so until it starts again I cant trace it !!
typical .

Have ordered a CV joint anyway.

Rich
Old February 7th 05, 11:51 PM
jjs

I had a clunk in the rear for a while, then I divorced her.