Engine makes a kind of "huffing" noise.

Old December 28th 04, 04:01 AM
B.B.

Default Engine makes a kind of "huffing" noise.

I'm not sure how else to describe it or how long I've had it since my
radio only recently died. (: It wasn't there before, but now it makes
a distinct huffing sound--kind of like an air compressor does, though
quieter. Not very loud and goes away (or is covered by other noises)
when driving at speed. Engine temperature doesn't seem to affect it.
Should I care? And if so, where to start looking?
'98 Honda Accord--no codes from the computer and just passed an
emissions test a little while back.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Old December 28th 04, 02:25 PM
Al Bundy

Maybe you are hearing vacuum from your heater blend door operating

Old December 28th 04, 06:22 PM
MisterSkippy

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:01:28 -0600, "B.B."
u> wrote:

> I'm not sure how else to describe it or how long I've had it since my
>radio only recently died. (: It wasn't there before, but now it makes
>a distinct huffing sound--kind of like an air compressor does, though
>quieter. Not very loud and goes away (or is covered by other noises)
>when driving at speed. Engine temperature doesn't seem to affect it.
> Should I care? And if so, where to start looking?
> '98 Honda Accord--no codes from the computer and just passed an
>emissions test a little while back.

Loose spark plug?
FWIW
YMMV
DFB

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's
constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into
his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."
- Justice William O. Douglas
Old December 30th 04, 09:33 PM
Al Bundy

B.B. wrote:
> I'm not sure how else to describe it or how long I've had it since my

> radio only recently died. (: It wasn't there before, but now it

makes
> a distinct huffing sound--kind of like an air compressor does, though

> quieter. Not very loud and goes away (or is covered by other noises)

> when driving at speed. Engine temperature doesn't seem to affect it.
> Should I care? And if so, where to start looking?
> '98 Honda Accord--no codes from the computer and just passed an
> emissions test a little while back.
>
> --
> B.B. --I am not a goat! thegoat4 at airmail dot net

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Look for any suspicious empty cans of Glade under the hood.

Old December 30th 04, 11:17 PM
Steve B.

> Should I care? And if so, where to start looking?
> '98 Honda Accord--no codes from the computer and just passed an
> emissions test a little while back.

Your description makes me think of dead cylinders or excess blow by or
other horrible things but since you dont have a check engine light and
passed emissions I doubt you have a major mechanical problem. Its
worth getting a pro to look at it though just to make sure.

Steve B.
Old January 1st 05, 04:26 AM
John Crichton

Is it possible that you have an exhaust manifold leak? Why don't you
look at where the exhaust manifold bolts to the engine block an see if
you see a spot with black carbon buildup. If so the gasket between the
engine block and the exhaust manifold needs replacing. If that looks
o.k. I'd start inpecting the manifold itself for cracks.

BTW, an exhaust manifold leak will typically not generate any problem
codes unless it is really bad - i.e. bad enough to cause a significant
drop in exhaust pressure.

Old January 1st 05, 07:48 AM
B.B.

In article <uLoBd.596259$wV.180091@attbi_s54>,
John Crichton > wrote:

>Is it possible that you have an exhaust manifold leak? Why don't you
>look at where the exhaust manifold bolts to the engine block an see if
>you see a spot with black carbon buildup. If so the gasket between the
>engine block and the exhaust manifold needs replacing. If that looks
>o.k. I'd start inpecting the manifold itself for cracks.
>
>BTW, an exhaust manifold leak will typically not generate any problem
>codes unless it is really bad - i.e. bad enough to cause a significant
>drop in exhaust pressure.

So far, I've found no exhaust leak, checked the filter for clogging
or an intake restriction, all the plugs are tight, and according to my
neighbors there's a "tick" sound to go with the huffing. I suppose I'm
too deaf to hear the tick. Piston slap?
How much wind is a reasonable amount to come out of the oil fill hole
in the valve cover? I just checked that and got a pretty solid column
of air howling out. Seems too much to me, but I don't have a whole lot
of experience.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Old January 1st 05, 03:39 PM
William R. Watt

a compression test might be in order if you suspect excessive air pressure
under the valve cover. an inexpensive held vaccum guage can show
possible valve and ring problems. before trying you might want to read
about vaccum guage diangostics in the file on my website (below) under "Cars".

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm