Alignment Specs

Old December 30th 04, 02:14 AM
L Bader

Default Alignment Specs

Lanny, Leon, et al. --

I just put the FM Springs and a set of AGXs on my '97.

Afterward, I went to a local garage that was willing to allow me to
"ride" while I had the car aligned. Unfortunately, they were unable
to match Lanny's Alignment Specs.

Here is what I wound up with:

Front: L R Combined

Camber: -1.0 -1.1
Caster: 0.1
Toe In: 0.08 0.08
Total Toe: 0.16

Rear:

Camber -1.7 -1.6
Toe In: 0.10 0.08
Total Toe: 0.18

Thoughts, concerns, guidance ???

TIA

- L

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old December 30th 04, 03:40 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
L Bader > wrote:

> Camber: -1.0 -1.1
> Caster: 0.1
> Toe In: 0.08 0.08
> Total Toe: 0.16
>
> Rear:
>
> Camber -1.7 -1.6
> Toe In: 0.10 0.08
> Total Toe: 0.18

You won't be happy with only 0.1 degree of caster--the wheel probably
stays where you leave it instead of returning to center, with very
little feel. With a lowered car, it's not surprising they couldn't get
enough caster without sacrificing camber. Looks like they tried
commendably hard, though.

I would prefer to give up enough front camber to get 4 degrees of
caster, then set the rear 0.5-0.7 degrees more negative than the front.
Your camber might end up at -1.3F / -1.9R, more or less, but that's the
price of lowering, and with such small amounts of toe you shouldn't
expect too much extra tire wear if you drive fairly aggressively.

It's worth doing over, Maybe they'll give you a break on a realignment.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old December 31st 04, 10:40 PM
L Bader

>You won't be happy with only 0.1 degree of caster--the wheel probably
>stays where you leave it instead of returning to center, with very
>little feel. With a lowered car, it's not surprising they couldn't get
>enough caster without sacrificing camber. Looks like they tried
>commendably hard, though.
>
>I would prefer to give up enough front camber to get 4 degrees of
>caster, then set the rear 0.5-0.7 degrees more negative than the front.
>Your camber might end up at -1.3F / -1.9R, more or less, but that's the
>price of lowering, and with such small amounts of toe you shouldn't
>expect too much extra tire wear if you drive fairly aggressively.
>
>It's worth doing over, Maybe they'll give you a break on a realignment.

Lanny -

Took your advise and took it back to the shop. Steve and his guys
worked at it and got me the following numbers:

L R Combined
Front:

Camber -1.0 -1.1
Total Camber 0.1
Caster 4.0 4.0
Toe 0.09 0.07
Total Toe 0.16

Rear:

Camber -1.6 -1.6
Toe 0.07 0.08
Total Toe 0.15

Thanks for the help! (Any last minute thoughts or comments?)

Old December 31st 04, 11:44 PM
Leon van Dommelen

L Bader > wrote:

>>You won't be happy with only 0.1 degree of caster--the wheel probably
>>stays where you leave it instead of returning to center, with very
>>little feel. With a lowered car, it's not surprising they couldn't get
>>enough caster without sacrificing camber. Looks like they tried
>>commendably hard, though.
>>
>>I would prefer to give up enough front camber to get 4 degrees of
>>caster, then set the rear 0.5-0.7 degrees more negative than the front.
>>Your camber might end up at -1.3F / -1.9R, more or less, but that's the
>>price of lowering, and with such small amounts of toe you shouldn't
>>expect too much extra tire wear if you drive fairly aggressively.
>>
>>It's worth doing over, Maybe they'll give you a break on a realignment.

>Lanny -
>
>Took your advise and took it back to the shop. Steve and his guys
>worked at it and got me the following numbers:
>
> L R Combined
>Front:
>
> Camber -1.0 -1.1
> Total Camber 0.1
> Caster 4.0 4.0
> Toe 0.09 0.07
> Total Toe 0.16
>
>Rear:
>
> Camber -1.6 -1.6
> Toe 0.07 0.08
> Total Toe 0.15
>
>Thanks for the help! (Any last minute thoughts or comments?)

I would guess tires may not last that long with all that toe.
Is front toe out and rear toe in?

Happy new year,
Leon

>- L
>
>'97 STO, "Chouki"
>
>// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old January 1st 05, 02:59 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
L Bader > wrote:

> Took your advise and took it back to the shop. Steve and his guys
> worked at it and got me the following numbers:

Those are excellent numbers, L, especially for a lowered car. If that
shop does general maintenance too, I'd give them all your business. They
obviously cared about doing it right, and had the talent to pull it off.

Hope your New Year's weather doesn't make you wait too long to try it
out!

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old January 1st 05, 03:08 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
L Bader > wrote:

> I expect I will see faster wear than "norm"

Yeah, but Norm doesn't drive like you. ;-)

> (Lanny, your "rudder-kicks" worked...

You mean steering with your right foot? Yup, you now have a new toy.
Just so you train yourself to remember that backing off has at least as
much effect as adding throttle. It takes a lot of discipline to manage
an oversteering car through a corner that was entered 5 mph too hot. But
it's more fun--and faster--than in an understeering car, once you learn
how it works.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old January 1st 05, 03:34 PM
L Bader

Lanny -

Steve and his crew already do the work I can't (either due to time,
tools or technique) and they get my first referral to anyone that asks
me, "do you know a mechanic?"

In that I am in South Texas, I was pouring through some Hill Country
twisties with the top down after sunset. -- Truly God's Country...

Thanks again for all the help.

Zoom-Zoom!

- L

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 02:59:39 GMT, Lanny Chambers

Alignment? Problem john smith Corvette 4 January 22nd 05 02:07 PM
Alignment specs for E46 ZHP Jason G BMW 0 January 11th 05 09:23 PM
Is this an alignment problem? E. Meyer Technology 0 December 8th 04 04:13 PM
Audi A6, 4.2 -- Alignment Specs? Anit Patel Audi 2 December 5th 04 06:05 PM
Tweaking 04 CR-V alignment Nobody Honda 0 November 10th 04 02:48 AM