Honda defect may cause deadly accidents

Old May 11th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Honda defect may cause deadly accidents

A problem with the ignition switch in Honda cars
may cause a Deadly Accident!

The car may stall without warning while driving in traffic.

This has been a known problem and has resulted in a recall by Honda
(NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 03V423000), but some cars with the ignition
switch replaced as part of the recall may still have this problem.

Is Honda trying to conceal this?
Are they in fact aware that their measures in the recall were
inadequate
to properly correct the problem?

Are they leaving peoples lives at risk in order to avoid the
expense of properly correcting the problem?

Old May 11th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...02/212343.html

oups.com...

Old May 12th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

wrote:
> A problem with the ignition switch in Honda cars
> may cause a Deadly Accident!
>
> The car may stall without warning while driving in traffic.

Thanks for the newsflash! This has been the subject of a safety recall
which is some four years old now.

> This has been a known problem and has resulted in a recall by Honda
> (NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 03V423000), but some cars with the ignition
> switch replaced as part of the recall may still have this problem.

That could happen if the switch wasn't the cause of the stalling, or
there were additional problems with the ignition. I bought a used 1998
Civic a year ago, and it started having that problem. I learned about
the safety recall from Tegger, and had the repair done. I didn't assume
that the problem would go away after the repair; I only placed a high
probability on that outcome.

The problem became very bad right after I had already booked the
appointment. I was able to reproduce it by manipulating the key into a
certain position. At one point, I managed to create a repeated, rapid
blinking of the instrument panel accompanied by the sound of the relay
switch rapidly opening and closing:
trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That's when I knew that it really
was the switch that was shot, and was glad that the car was going to
the dealership the following morning.

But there is always the chance that there are two problems in parallel.

What probably happens is that some owners of Hondas with intermittent
ignition problems that are not related to the key learn about the
recall and have it done. But, of course, the ignition problems persist
after that repair.

> Is Honda trying to conceal this?
> Are they in fact aware that their measures in the recall were
> inadequate
> to properly correct the problem?

They replaced the switch, so what else can they do? Overhauling the
rest of the ignition system is beyond the scope of the recall.

> Are they leaving peoples lives at risk in order to avoid the
> expense of properly correcting the problem?

I don't think so. You see, replacing the defective part twice two or
more times with cheaper parts is more expensive than just replacing it
once with a quality part.

Old May 12th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Kaz Kylheku" > wrote in
oups.com:

> The problem became very bad right after I had already booked the
> appointment. I was able to reproduce it by manipulating the key into a
> certain position. At one point, I managed to create a repeated, rapid
> blinking of the instrument panel accompanied by the sound of the relay
> switch rapidly opening and closing:
> trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That's when I knew that it really
> was the switch that was shot, and was glad that the car was going to
> the dealership the following morning.

This is very interesting. I'd like to add this the ignition switch page, if
it's OK with you.

--
TeGGeR®