Important info for Corvette buyers (not spam)

Old December 19th 04, 02:38 PM
Scubabix

Default Important info for Corvette buyers (not spam)

I just received some good news from my accountant. There is a new allowance
in the Tax code for people living in states that do not have a state income
tax. It allows a deduction for sales taxes paid. Particularly large item
purchases. Say, like a car, like a Corvette? Check with your tax preparer
for details.

Rob
78 & 96 Coupes (Red of course)

Old December 20th 04, 03:10 AM
Okiemoose

Actually, that option is available to ALL taxpayers in ALL states who
itemize deductions. A taxpayer can choose to deduct either state and local
income taxes paid OR sales taxes paid. Obviously, for those who live in
states which do not assess income taxes, this is a no-brainer -- it's a new
extra deduction.

The law states that a taxpayer may deduct actual sales taxes paid during the
year as evidenced by records and receipts, or the taxpayer may choose to use
an estimated amount taken from an IRS table based upon family size and
income.

This law change came into being as of October 23, 2004, when the American
Jobs Creation Act was enacted. Since this enactment was late in the year,
many taxpayers won't have sales tax receipts from before October 23, 2004
(or before becoming aware of the law change), and will consequently use the
table to determine the maximum deduction allowable.

For states that assess a sales tax on a car or boat purchase, this sales tax
amount is something that would figure into the total when adding up sales
tax amounts from retained receipts. But extra good news is the fact that
sales taxes on the purchase of a car and/or a boat can be ADDED to the
amount from the IRS table to maximize the deduction.

Even if you pay state income tax, it would worth your while to determine
your sales tax deduction -- the amount may be larger than the amount of
state income taxes you pay and therefore lower your tax bill. If your state
has no income tax, congratulations on your new, EXTRA deduction!

If you bought a Corvette (or other car(s) or boat(s)) during 2004 and paid
sales taxes on the purchase, this new law provision could save you some
bucks on your taxes.

Happy, less-taxing motoring in your 'Vette!

David
2000 Coupe, Millennium Yellow

Old December 20th 04, 03:10 AM
Okiemoose

Old December 20th 04, 11:12 PM
Scubabix

Thanks for the extra info.

Rob

Old December 20th 04, 11:12 PM
Scubabix

Thanks for the extra info.

Rob

Old December 24th 04, 01:36 PM
sbright

(I know this thread is a little off topic...)

Does this new rule work for leases as well? In MD, they calculate sales tax
on the negotiated price of vehicle, rather than a monthly sales tax on t he
lease pmt.

-Stan

news

Old December 24th 04, 01:36 PM
sbright

(I know this thread is a little off topic...)

Does this new rule work for leases as well? In MD, they calculate sales tax
on the negotiated price of vehicle, rather than a monthly sales tax on t he
lease pmt.

-Stan

news

Old January 1st 05, 02:27 AM
Okiemoose

The short answer is yes. State sales taxes paid with respect to a vehicle
lease are deductible in the same manner as if the vehicle was purchased
(generally as a Form 1040 Schedule A itemized deduction).

If the vehicle is a business vehicle (whether leased or purchased), your
deduction would instead be a business expense deduction based upon the
percentage of business use of the vehicle (usually deducted on Form 1040
Schedule C or C-EZ). If the vehicle is not used 100% for business (be sure
to keep a log of business use), the deduction is split between Schedule C
and Schedule A. For example, let's say the state sales taxes paid on the
vehicle (leased or purchased) amount to $100. You use the vehicle for
business 7,500 miles of the 10,000 total miles the vehicle is used during
the year 2004. This equates to 75% business use (and 25% personal use).
You would have a personal, Schedule A sales tax deduction of $25 (25% of
$100) and a business sales tax deduction of $75 (75% of $100).

If there is no business use of the vehicle, then the total sales taxes paid
on the vehicle are a Schedule A deduction.

Hope this helps you!

David
2000 coupe, MY

Old January 1st 05, 02:27 AM