2005 325xi Maintenance Costs?

Old December 6th 04, 11:11 AM
Bob

Default 2005 325xi Maintenance Costs?

I'm researching the purchase of an all wheel drive sedan and one of my
choices is the 325xi. However in the latest issue of Kiplinger magazine
they project 5 year maintenance costs for this vehicle to be in excess of
$3k which is considerably more than most.

So the question is; Since all regularly scheduled maintenance is covered
for 4 yrs/50k miles what kinds of repairs are owners historically
experiencing for the 325xi once out of warranty?
Old December 7th 04, 05:30 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Bob" > wrote
> I'm researching the purchase of an all wheel drive sedan and one of my
> choices is the 325xi. However in the latest issue of Kiplinger magazine
> they project 5 year maintenance costs for this vehicle to be in excess of
> $3k which is considerably more than most.
>
> So the question is; Since all regularly scheduled maintenance is covered
> for 4 yrs/50k miles what kinds of repairs are owners historically
> experiencing for the 325xi once out of warranty?

Heck if I know... Well, actually, my 330xi just went over 60K. Inspection
II
goes for $750-$1200 or more (if they convince you to replace things.) The
other big item is brakes. The rotors and pads (at least on the front)
almost
certainly need to be replaced between 25K and 60K miles. If they get
caught by the free maintenance, fine, otherwise the dealers usually
want another $750-$1200 for service that is only around $200 parts.
A set of good tires will also set you back $500.

$3K is actually not much. Our AWD Dodge Caravan(s - we owned two)
cost about that. Praise be our kids are now grown.

Floyd

Old December 7th 04, 06:18 PM
Scott C

Hey Bob,

I have a 1990 535i, and after the initial maintenance ran out, I did repairs
myself, purchasing parts from BMA Autoparts - a BMW parts outfit. Breaks are
easy, replaced the radiator also.. simple.. I'd suggest you get a shop book,
maybe $100, and so some yourself if you have the ability.. it's actually
kind of fun. Repair costs are pretty reasonable this way.

I'm looking at the 2005 330 or 545, and will do the same with this car.

Scott

. 14...

Old December 9th 04, 11:00 AM
Bob

Bob > wrote in
. 14:

> I'm researching the purchase of an all wheel drive sedan and one of my
> choices is the 325xi. However in the latest issue of Kiplinger
> magazine they project 5 year maintenance costs for this vehicle to be
> in excess of $3k which is considerably more than most.
>
> So the question is; Since all regularly scheduled maintenance is
> covered for 4 yrs/50k miles what kinds of repairs are owners
> historically experiencing for the 325xi once out of warranty?

Someone must have some experience or thoughts on the 325xi maintenance
costs...
Old December 9th 04, 03:24 PM
Scott C

Yes, the above posts were not an exact answer to your question. The exact
answer is to check your BMW book, look at the maintenance intervals, ask
your local BMW dealer what the costs are for each maintenance interval. If
you are talking replacing a water pump, or a window that stops working,
outside of he warranty period, and you want BMW to do it, ask the parts
department / service area, about a specific cost you are interested in.

The 5 year cost referenced in your post may consider new tires, Z rated?,
gas?, but more than likely it's based on the SUGGESTED maintenance in the
manual. If you stick to this schedule, you can get the exact prices from
your dealer. If you use the dealer, not an independent BMW shop, you will
pay a fair amount more.

I will tell you that you can minimize costs by changing the oil yourself and
being aware of how your vehicle is running. Get the transmission fluid
changed a few times over the time you own the car. Have the break fluid and
cooling fluid changed - or do it yourself.. other than this, the car should
run a long time with basic maintenance.

sc

. 14...

Old December 10th 04, 04:50 AM
R. Rikoski

In article >,
Bob > wrote:

> I'm researching the purchase of an all wheel drive sedan and one of my
> choices is the 325xi. However in the latest issue of Kiplinger magazine
> they project 5 year maintenance costs for this vehicle to be in excess of
> $3k which is considerably more than most.
>
> So the question is; Since all regularly scheduled maintenance is covered
> for 4 yrs/50k miles what kinds of repairs are owners historically
> experiencing for the 325xi once out of warranty?

Well, you are asking about just one year you if drive 12.5k/yr. FYI,
The maintenace intervals are very long for that car. Oil changes, I
don't have the book in front of me, are about 15,000 miles using their
own synthetic; the other lubes never need changing. Plugs last 100kmiles.

Tires will be a big deal. Figure a set every 30000 miles. Shocks will
need to be replaced at 50000.

Exhaust, who knows? Bad luck items?...

I think $3000 is high but then it depends on how many miles that you
drive.

If you wish to know your costs in advance, you can always buy an
extended warranty.

HTH

Rick
Old December 10th 04, 01:02 PM
Bob

Marcio Watanabe > wrote in
:

> Bob > wrote:
>
>>Someone must have some experience or thoughts on the 325xi maintenance
>>costs...

> Thought yes, and that's what you are getting. Experience, no.
> Do you realize that you are asking what "repairs are owners
> historically experiencing for the 325xi once out of warranty" when no
> one has owned a E46 325xi for 5 years to speak from experience?

Yes I do realize that no one has actual 5 year maintenance experience for a
2005 325xi and I was hoping that was obvious.

The BMW 3 series cars have been around for quite some time and by
definition a "projection" of service costs for current models can be
reasonably estimated from historical experiences. In most cases, buyers
hope for new model improvement but this is not always the case and
awareness of prior problem areas can be instructive.

From what I can gather, many review sources (Consumer Reports,
Intellichoice, Kiplingers, etc) seem to consider the 2005 325xi a very good
car but not necessarily a good value.
Old December 13th 04, 02:54 AM
comcast

Yes, I do agree European is expensive to maintain. I have a 2001 325i.

If you have sport package, Performance tire is $200 each, and last for about
30-50K miles.
Brakepad and the rotor can easily cost up to $500 per pair (front + back =
$1000). The manufacturing of the stock rotor is bad, I replaced mine at 30K
miles.

But it is a great car, very good handling and really is exceptional for the
driving.

It is really up to you to decide, if you like the car, go for it, and expect
high maintenance cost. If you really can't afford it, I would not recommend.

Hope this helps.

Calebmei

"Bob" > wrote in message
. 14...
> Bob > wrote in
> . 14:
>
>> I'm researching the purchase of an all wheel drive sedan and one of my
>> choices is the 325xi. However in the latest issue of Kiplinger
>> magazine they project 5 year maintenance costs for this vehicle to be
>> in excess of $3k which is considerably more than most.
>>
>> So the question is; Since all regularly scheduled maintenance is
>> covered for 4 yrs/50k miles what kinds of repairs are owners
>> historically experiencing for the 325xi once out of warranty?
>>

> Someone must have some experience or thoughts on the 325xi maintenance
> costs...

2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle Audi 36 February 22nd 05 03:32 PM
2005 545i vs 2005 A6 4.2 Seth Brundle BMW 34 February 22nd 05 03:32 PM
2005 S4 Cab Flyboy Audi 0 November 23rd 04 08:35 PM
buying bmw 325 (2005 vs 2006) Ruwan BMW 2 September 19th 04 11:27 PM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM