New or Second hand 156?

Old May 28th 04, 11:03 AM
Pyro

Default New or Second hand 156?

I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for a very high milage
VW Scirocco, and finding that there are so few cars around with any
semblance of style (and that I can afford), that the 156 and the Jag
X-type, have come up as the only options. One of the most important
criteria is fuel consumption. I do 20k a year, so the 2.4 JTD is top
of the list.

The question is whether to go new (I actually like the new 156 shape,
although, I might be in the minority here...) or get a two year oldish
156 for significantly less money. The only things that concern me are
reliability and servicing costs. The new 156 doesn't compete with the
unlimited miles jag warranty, and up to 6 years cover, but then a
second hand 156 with 12 months cover, is definitely more pocket
friendly. Is it going to get me through a 100k miles without too much
trouble?

PyroJames
Where I like, when I like, in whatever I like to wear.
Old May 28th 04, 04:44 PM
Halmyre

Pyro wrote:
> I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for a very high milage
> VW Scirocco, and finding that there are so few cars around with any
> semblance of style (and that I can afford), that the 156 and the Jag
> X-type, have come up as the only options. One of the most important
> criteria is fuel consumption. I do 20k a year, so the 2.4 JTD is top
> of the list.
>
> The question is whether to go new (I actually like the new 156 shape,
> although, I might be in the minority here...) or get a two year oldish
> 156 for significantly less money. The only things that concern me are
> reliability and servicing costs. The new 156 doesn't compete with the
> unlimited miles jag warranty, and up to 6 years cover, but then a
> second hand 156 with 12 months cover, is definitely more pocket
> friendly. Is it going to get me through a 100k miles without too much
> trouble?
>
> PyroJames
> Where I like, when I like, in whatever I like to wear.

I don't think you're going to get a lot of people saying "buy the Jag"
on here

You can call me old-fashioned, elitist, snobbish, blinkered, whatever;
but when Ford bought Jaguar (and Aston Martin) it was the motoring
equivalent of "the day the music died".

Halmyre

Old May 29th 04, 12:38 PM
barks

"Halmyre" > wrote in message
.. .

> Pyro wrote:
> > I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for a very high milage
> > VW Scirocco, and finding that there are so few cars around with any
> > semblance of style (and that I can afford), that the 156 and the Jag
> > X-type, have come up as the only options. One of the most important
> > criteria is fuel consumption. I do 20k a year, so the 2.4 JTD is top
> > of the list.
> >
> > The question is whether to go new (I actually like the new 156 shape,
> > although, I might be in the minority here...) or get a two year oldish
> > 156 for significantly less money. The only things that concern me are
> > reliability and servicing costs. The new 156 doesn't compete with the
> > unlimited miles jag warranty, and up to 6 years cover, but then a
> > second hand 156 with 12 months cover, is definitely more pocket
> > friendly. Is it going to get me through a 100k miles without too much
> > trouble?
> >
> > PyroJames
> > Where I like, when I like, in whatever I like to wear.

> I don't think you're going to get a lot of people saying "buy the Jag"
> on here
>
> You can call me old-fashioned, elitist, snobbish, blinkered, whatever;
> but when Ford bought Jaguar (and Aston Martin) it was the motoring
> equivalent of "the day the music died".
>
> Halmyre

I agree.

But isn't there some connection between Alfa & General Motors?

If so this could REALLY be the beginning of "the day the music died"

Barks
105 GTV 2000
156 JTS
33

Old May 29th 04, 05:13 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, barks47
@hotmail.com spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...

> But isn't there some connection between Alfa & General Motors?

I don't know, but if there is, hope for got sake that they don't do what
they have done to Saab.

First they made everything after the 9000 (based on the same floor pan
as the 164) based on the Vauxhall Cavalier\Opel vectra MK1 (New Vectra
on later models).

Then in the States, they launched the 9-2 which is a Subaru Impreza
Wagon, with a Saab badge on the front, and some Saab styling inside.

Next Monstrosity they are planning is a Saab V8 SUV based on a G SUV in
the states.

Apart from the fact that I need to cut down on my fuel consumption, GM
have removed any quicks and Character from Saab, so I can't even buy a
newer one for more efficient engines.

I can't even step back into a Skoda (the car I really learned about
driving in), because I've gotten used to the comforts in the Saab, so
the rear engine ones (very fun to drive even with such low power) are
too basic. And the new ones are too sterile. I had a test drive in an
Octavia vRS. I was the owner of a Favorit at the time and it was the
middle of summer. The Heater/cooler fan blower was louder than the
engine in the Octavia. I know could sort that with a custom exhaust, and
it was a fantastic car for the money, but if I'm buying new, I want a
sporting car to sound sporting from the off.

So that's why I've turned to Alfa. Even though they were bought by Fiat,
they have kept a lot of their individuality, even using Fiat parts, and
no matter what Fiat claim about the Punto, we all know where the real
Spirito lives on.
--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)
Old June 1st 04, 08:03 AM
DesmaisonLCM

Dans l'article >, "barks"
>a écrit :

>But isn't there some connection between Alfa & General Motors?
>
>If so this could REALLY be the beginning of "the day the music died"

yes there's some, that's why the new Opel vectra SW ( Opel is in General Motor
group) is fit with the 1.9 JTD 16v 150bhp of the new Alfa GT !!! in replacement
of the old V6 3.0L from Isuzu ( perfs of the 1.9 are better than the 3.0 !)