GT4 vs real world, again

Old March 25th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GT4 vs real world, again

Another of the video game vs the real world. This time Tiff Needell
takes on a UK GT4 champ on track and in the game. Surprisingly
close in both ...

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...079708,00.html
Old March 26th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Dave wrote:
> Another of the video game vs the real world. This time Tiff Needell
> takes on a UK GT4 champ on track and in the game. Surprisingly
> close in both ...
>
> http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...079708,00.html

Good story.

-Will
Old March 26th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Peter wrote:

> Interesting to see that traction control was required and that without
> it Tiff was able to push the car a whole lot faster. Wonder if Dave
> Baker would have been able to do the same?

The thing that I noted was that Needell has real seat time at the track.
They should have done the experiment at Nurburgring, the track Baker
claimed to be great at. This way, both would be familiar with the track
and its nuances.

-Will
Old March 26th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

In article >, William Bradshaw > wrote:

>The thing that I noted was that Needell has real seat time at the track.
>They should have done the experiment at Nurburgring, the track Baker
>claimed to be great at. This way, both would be familiar with the track
>and its nuances.

While the 'Ring is open to the public so every yahoo (including me!)
can take a go, they'd have to be mighty careful about letting Baker
shoot for a fast time on it. Just too many blind curves with
little-to-no runoff. But I'm sure he would have jumped at the
chance.

Hopefully I'll get a shot at a few laps there on a biz trip next
week. But I don't expect to compete with my GT4 times, no sir.
Old March 27th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Dave" wrote...
>><snip>

> <snip>
> Hopefully I'll get a shot at a few laps there on a biz trip next
> week. But I don't expect to compete with my GT4 times,
> no sir.

The things which catch out the roadgoing cars are the compressions at speed
(Fuchsrohre, PflantzgartenII). Also, it may take longer than one might think
to stabilise the car and slow it down effectively for the tighter sections.

Other than that it's pretty safe if there aren't a miliion nutters on
motorbikes around, IMO.

Jan.
=---