Building A Woody Hard Top

Old March 6th 05, 06:21 PM
HarryS

Default Building A Woody Hard Top

I have been contemplating for some time now on building a woody top for the
TJ. When I was a kid my dad had a woody station wagon and I thought it was
so cool and that style has always stuck. I am an avid wood worker and have
built everything from grand father clocks to ship's wheels and have done
some one of a kind pieces for consignment. It is going to be a long term
project as I have a long honey do list this year. I started the process by
making some sketches on graph paper, initially I am going to use
polycarbonate for the rear and side windows. I plan on putting a round
window on the side and a lift gate style in the back but, I am sure as
things progress that will change. I will be installing a sun roof either a
sliding hatch like on a boat or a snap type with sail cloth. The frame work
will be made out of white oak and all the solid panels will be made out of
1/4" marine mahogany plywood. All the joints will be mortise and tendon
with marine glue and teak pins this should give a real nice contrast
especially since the Sahara is sienna in color. I know it is kind of weird
to have a woody TJ but I am not wrapped to tight either and always have gone
on the road less traveled. As I get things going I will be posting some
pictures my wife thinks I am nuts but after 31 years of marriage that will
make everyone a little nuts. The initial build cost will be about $500.00
and it is a hell lot less than a hard top and will be really different. I
may go off the deep end and roll and tuck the interior of the woody but I
will have to see once I get that far.

HarryS

Old March 6th 05, 06:55 PM
Dave Milne

Sounds an interesting project - show us some photos from time to time. How
heavy do you think it would be ?

Dave

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old March 6th 05, 07:06 PM
HarryS

I estimate the weight to be between 150 and 175 pounds because the
polycarbonate is super light weight. If I had used auto glass it would have
added about 60 lbs. The polycarbonate ways about 15 lbs for a 4'x4' sheet
and is 10 times stronger and easily machined. The next few months I will be
in the planning and pattern stage. Before I do anything I will make
patterns for every piece of the entire top.

HarryS

k...

Old March 6th 05, 09:16 PM
bushman

This is so weird because I saw one today! Just saw it passing by, I did the
Jeep wave then thought I had made a mistake. Looked old and not in great
shape but it was a Scrambler with a woody top and what looked like full
length rear doors hinged at the sides, no tailgate.
This is going to be so cool.
- Allen

Old March 6th 05, 09:32 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/truck/jeep-cj_finn.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 6th 05, 09:53 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.billhughes.com/woodTopJeep.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 6th 05, 10:33 PM
HarryS

Bill,

It looks like the entire top unsnaps not a bad idea I will put that one on
the drawing board. That woody is pretty straight forward not bad, I am
going to something a little different more curves not so boxy.
--
HarryS My 2¢

Old March 6th 05, 11:00 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I bet the top's more like slats that run length wise, covered with
cotton, then canvas as the Real woody I owned in high school:
http://www.billhughes.com/woody.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old March 6th 05, 11:39 PM
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/truck/jeep-cj_finn.jpg
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

From that angle, it looks a lot like a Toyota FJ-40 land cruiser.

- JG

Old March 7th 05, 01:24 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, the Japanese copied the Real Jeep:
http://www.apple.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Hardtop.html Just like the land crusher
used hundred percent 1950's Chevrolet pickup running gear.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

"Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)" wrote:

> L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
>
> > http://www.oldwoodies.com/img/truck/jeep-cj_finn.jpg
> > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> > http://www.billhughes.com/

> From that angle, it looks a lot like a Toyota FJ-40 land cruiser.
>
> - JG

Hard downshift 94 Chrysler T&C auto trans Al VaBeach Technology 7 February 6th 05 01:31 PM
YJ Jeep with TJ Hard top and Upper Doors mike Jeep 4 January 17th 05 10:38 PM
90 FORD F150 PICKUP STARTS HARD, THEN DIES websthes Technology 1 December 26th 04 11:39 PM
switching hard dog rollbars pws Mazda 0 November 19th 04 12:03 AM
Assistance needed with Spider '91 hard top Dimitris Alfa Romeo 0 September 3rd 04 02:40 PM