WTB Valve Shims

Old October 14th 04, 05:56 AM
verndog

Default WTB Valve Shims

Many years ago there was a kit of valve shims to adjust the valve clearance
on the solid lifter heads. It had a bunch of different thickness shims in
it. I saw a used one on ebay about a year ago and I havnt seen the new ones
anywhere . Parts place for all VWs used to sell one, but not for at least 5
years. Anyone know where to purchase one. New or used. Thanks

Old October 14th 04, 01:44 PM

If your head is "new" it may use one range of shims. As soon as the
machine shop resurfaces valve stuff you need another range of shims. I
used to have a bunch of shims for a stock heads from the junkyard. I
don't know if I threw them out yet or not.

"verndog" > wrote:

>Many years ago there was a kit of valve shims to adjust the valve clearance
>on the solid lifter heads. It had a bunch of different thickness shims in
>it. I saw a used one on ebay about a year ago and I havnt seen the new ones
>anywhere . Parts place for all VWs used to sell one, but not for at least 5
>years. Anyone know where to purchase one. New or used. Thanks

Jim B.
Old October 14th 04, 02:24 PM
dave

>"verndog" > wrote:
>
>>Many years ago there was a kit of valve shims to adjust the valve clearance
>>on the solid lifter heads. It had a bunch of different thickness shims in
>>it. I saw a used one on ebay about a year ago and I havnt seen the new ones
>>anywhere . Parts place for all VWs used to sell one, but not for at least 5
>>years. Anyone know where to purchase one. New or used. Thanks

>Jim B.

I have bought them separately to make a set.

Do you need any specific sizes? Or ranges of sizes? Purchasing a set might
cost you $100-200 but will include 4-8 of each size.

Which VW watercooled stores did you check online?
Mofoco.com? It might be best to call some of these stores since these shims
have not been installed new since about 2 decades ago. <g>
My 83 Audi 4000S (83 GTi engine installed) still uses the shims, or I might
sell you my set. ;-)

later,
dave
Reminder........
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
shoes. Frieda Norris

Old October 15th 04, 02:58 AM
Nate Nagel

dave wrote:

>>"verndog" > wrote:
>>

>>>Many years ago there was a kit of valve shims to adjust the valve clearance
>>>on the solid lifter heads. It had a bunch of different thickness shims in
>>>it. I saw a used one on ebay about a year ago and I havnt seen the new ones
>>>anywhere . Parts place for all VWs used to sell one, but not for at least 5
>>>years. Anyone know where to purchase one. New or used. Thanks

>>Jim B.
>>

> I have bought them separately to make a set.
>
> Do you need any specific sizes? Or ranges of sizes? Purchasing a set might
> cost you $100-200 but will include 4-8 of each size.
>
> Which VW watercooled stores did you check online?
> Mofoco.com? It might be best to call some of these stores since these shims
> have not been installed new since about 2 decades ago. <g>
> My 83 Audi 4000S (83 GTi engine installed) still uses the shims, or I might
> sell you my set. ;-)
>
> later,
> dave
> Reminder........
> Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way,
> when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their
> shoes. Frieda Norris

I have a set and the tools too. I don't have any solid lifter VWs
anymore. If you can't scrounge one up drop me an email (see .sig) as I
don't check this group that often. I'm not real motivated to sell,
'cause I hope to have another old Scirocco someday, but if they really
are NLA it might just be worth it...

BTW if you are using used shims it's a good practice to mic them before
installing

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.