Removing Lettering From Vehicles

Old February 28th 05, 07:34 AM
Simplicity47

Default Removing Lettering From Vehicles

With most vehicles there is lettering glued on the car which usually
has the brand and model. Does anyone know the best way to remove it
without messing up the vehicle?

Old February 28th 05, 12:46 PM
tom

easyoff oven cleaner, or go to a body shop and for around $50 you can get a
pinstripe removing tool. it will last about 40 ft.
oups.com...

Old February 28th 05, 01:54 PM
Snow

Are you talking a sticker type or a emblem style? sticker lots of products
out there that can do it, emblem type, best I have found is a extra sharp
putty knife (metal, plastic may work..maybe) and carefully slide it behind
the emblem, being very careful not scratch paint. or I have heard some use
a very fine wire and cut through the adhesive.. not sure how this is done or
how well it works.. Either way you have to be careful and will still need
something to remove the extra adhesive that's left behind.

Snow...

Old February 28th 05, 03:20 PM
Greg

I had to break a vent window out on a truck once, locked keys in it,
anyway, went to body shop for new window, not in stock so he came out and
duct taped the window to the serounding body, I asked how he would get the
duct tape off paint after baking for a week in summer, he said accetone, it
all came off easy, sure that would work for whatever adhesive the stickers
have.

Old February 28th 05, 07:14 PM
Simplicity47

I'm actually talking about the emblem type lettering, not the stickers.
The glue or what ever they use is usually like cemented on, and I was
wondering how to get that off.

Old February 28th 05, 09:24 PM
tom

air hammer with a flat chisel tip

Old February 28th 05, 10:24 PM
HarryS

Do not use acetone it will remove your paint, or oven cleaner bad too, use
a regular hair dryer on high, DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN, when soft remove the
emblem, go to the local hardware store or Wal-Mart and buy some OOPS to
remove the glue residue.

HarryS

Old March 1st 05, 04:44 PM
tom

I have been using easyoff oven cleaner for over 30 years to remove the
lettering on trucks that are sold, and have used it to remove lettering on
race cars also. not once have I ever had a problem with the paint

Old March 1st 05, 11:18 PM
HarryS

That may be true, but if some one never changes their oil, changes the
filter at 3k then tops off with fresh oil does not make it right or a good
practice. I know someone who does this and trades their vehicle every 3
years.

Oven cleaner contains caustic soda and it is not good for your paint
regardless of your practices to do so. Race cars get painted many times
over their short lives, and lettering on vehicles sold well you do not have
to deal with them 5 years down the road when the paint starts to chalk.

Poor practices no matter of good intentions are just that, poor.

HarryS

Old March 2nd 05, 12:54 AM
Frank Morris

Howdy All,
I used dental floss. A friend used dental floss and a heat gun. I
would use a hair dryer instead of the heat gun.

Frank X. Morris
http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/SalukiCornerChime