A total trailer queen, but...

Old January 25th 05, 12:37 AM
Hucklebuck

Laurie S. wrote:
> "Laurie S." > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>"Wound Up" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Man oh man...
>>>
>>>It would have creases in the top
>>>And a little dirt on the paint
>>>And my forever ****-eating grin behind its wheel
>>>
>>>(Wipes drool from bottom lip)
>>>
>>>http://www.cars-on-line.com/17262.html
>>>
>>>--
>>>Wound Up
>>>
>>>1967 Mustang Coupe, restored & modified
>>>
>>>"A pessimist is just a well-informed optimist." - Anonymous
>>>

>>Seems to me if you have a trailer queen of that quality you would know how
>>to spell "concours." Also, those four awards in one show were not at an
>>MCA National or Grand National as MCA rules prohibit Best of Show
>>trophies. There also wouldn't have been the extra awards of most concourse
>>[sic] points, etc. More likely it was at his own club's show and the good
>>ol' boys did him a favor. Nice car, but I think the owner is blowing it
>>up way beyond the truth.
>>
>>--
>>Laurie S.
>>Thunder Snake #7

> Oh, and I forgot, MCA doesn't work on a 1,000 point rule for concours
> judging, it's 700, so I really have my doubts about that car's past judging
> results.
>
> Laurie S.
> Thunder Snake #7

If you must correct someone else on what was obviously a typo, I feel it
is my duty to do the same to you. You can not criticize someone in the
spelling of "concourse" when you in fact spelled it the exact same way
that they did in your second post : )

I am a jackass and I approve this message!

HuckleBuck
Old January 25th 05, 12:51 AM
Wound Up

> Laurie S. wrote:
>
>> "Laurie S." > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> Seems to me if you have a trailer queen of that quality you would
>>> know how to spell "concours." Also, those four awards in one show
>>> were not at an MCA National or Grand National as MCA rules prohibit
>>> Best of Show trophies. There also wouldn't have been the extra awards
>>> of most concourse [sic] points, etc. More likely it was at his own
>>> club's show and the good ol' boys did him a favor. Nice car, but I
>>> think the owner is blowing it up way beyond the truth.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Laurie S.
>>> Thunder Snake #7

>> Oh, and I forgot, MCA doesn't work on a 1,000 point rule for concours
>> judging, it's 700, so I really have my doubts about that car's past
>> judging results.
>>
>> Laurie S.
>> Thunder Snake #7
>>

> If you must correct someone else on what was obviously a typo, I feel it
> is my duty to do the same to you. You can not criticize someone in the
> spelling of "concourse" when you in fact spelled it the exact same way
> that they did in your second post : )
>
> I am a jackass and I approve this message!

How was it "obviously" a typo? Are you a medium?

The [sic] following that instance of the misspelled word in her post
means "seen in context". Journalists and other writers use it to let
the reader know they did not make the error.

Fine job; you have successfully fulfilled your duty to be a jackass.

Old January 25th 05, 01:36 AM
Mark C.

Mark C. Jack of all trades, master of none. (well, maybe a couple)

Old January 25th 05, 01:38 AM
Mark C.

I wonder what it would fetch at Barret-Jackson?

Old January 25th 05, 02:10 AM
Laurie S.

"Hucklebuck" > wrote in message
. com...

> Laurie S. wrote:
> > "Laurie S." > wrote in message
> > . ..

> >>Seems to me if you have a trailer queen of that quality you would know

how
> >>to spell "concours." Also, those four awards in one show were not at an
> >>MCA National or Grand National as MCA rules prohibit Best of Show
> >>trophies. There also wouldn't have been the extra awards of most

concourse
> >>[sic] points, etc. More likely it was at his own club's show and the

good
> >>ol' boys did him a favor. Nice car, but I think the owner is blowing it
> >>up way beyond the truth.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Laurie S.
> >>Thunder Snake #7

> > Oh, and I forgot, MCA doesn't work on a 1,000 point rule for concours
> > judging, it's 700, so I really have my doubts about that car's past

judging
> > results.
> >
> > Laurie S.
> > Thunder Snake #7
> >

> If you must correct someone else on what was obviously a typo, I feel it
> is my duty to do the same to you. You can not criticize someone in the
> spelling of "concourse" when you in fact spelled it the exact same way
> that they did in your second post : )
>
> I am a jackass and I approve this message!
>
> HuckleBuck

Well, jackass (using your self-description), I was quoting how the word was
spelled in the ad. That's what the use of [sic] means, which is something
you should have learned in middle school. And, it wasn't a typo in the ad
as it appears at least five times that way.

Laurie S.
Thunder Snake#7

Old January 25th 05, 02:22 AM
Hucklebuck

Okay, I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest. I already know I can
**** farther.
How do I know it was obviously a typo... try this out for me. Open your
best most expensive word processing program. Type in there "concours".
Now hit the SPELL CHECK button. Tell me what happens. If the guy had
half a brain and decided to spell check his web page before he posted it
so that a simple mistake like tihs didn't end up in his page, he
probably unknowingly correct the word "concours" for "concourse" [sic]
<-- how do ya like that one
Sorry I didn't know what [sic] means, I'm a soldier, I'm paid to kill,
not to learn how to write like a journalist.

If u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

Old January 25th 05, 02:26 AM
Hucklebuck

SEE RESPONSE TO "WOUND UP"... End of Transmission

Stop Midget on Midget Crime

Laurie S. wrote:
> "Hucklebuck" > wrote in message
> . com...
>

>>Laurie S. wrote:

et...

Old January 25th 05, 03:42 AM
Laurie S.

"Hucklebuck" > wrote in message
. com...
> Okay, I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest. I already know I can
> **** farther.
> How do I know it was obviously a typo... try this out for me. Open your
> best most expensive word processing program. Type in there "concours".
> Now hit the SPELL CHECK button. Tell me what happens. If the guy had
> half a brain and decided to spell check his web page before he posted it
> so that a simple mistake like tihs didn't end up in his page, he
> probably unknowingly correct the word "concours" for "concourse" [sic]
> <-- how do ya like that one
> Sorry I didn't know what [sic] means, I'm a soldier, I'm paid to kill,
> not to learn how to write like a journalist.

ROTFLMAO!!! You rely on Spell Check? One of the most worthless programs
there is, second only to any grammar checking software.

Laurie S.
Thunder Snake #7

Old January 25th 05, 03:55 AM
Wound Up

Hucklebuck wrote:
> Okay, I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest. I already know I can
> **** farther.

So why the opening shot, solider? Didn't you expect someone to return
fire? Now you're just going to run? Shame on you.

> How do I know it was obviously a typo... try this out for me. Open your
> best most expensive word processing program. Type in there "concours".
> Now hit the SPELL CHECK button. Tell me what happens. If the guy had
> half a brain and decided to spell check his web page before he posted it
> so that a simple mistake like tihs didn't end up in his page, he
> probably unknowingly correct the word "concours" for "concourse" [sic]
> <-- how do ya like that one

Not so much, and that's a half-assed answer. If the guy had half a
brain, he would have ensured the ad for his $125,000 (said to be)
concours-perfect automobile would have been represented in a way that
convinced others it was. There were other glaring problems with his
claims, it turns out. This was just the first clue. Did you read the
posts?

Careless use of spell checker is a very weak argument, because when that
word came up, the seller most likely would have either hit "ignore all"
or "add" when using the utility, because he knew the word was correct.
The fact someone was going to use spell checker in the first place
presumes he or she would take the time to look at each apparently
misspelled word.

> Sorry I didn't know what [sic] means, I'm a soldier, I'm paid to kill,
> not to learn how to write like a journalist.

Knowing the use of that device is not limited to the craft of the
journalist. It's just something you pick up through reading, and/or
with higher education.

> If u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d

What? I didn't catch that...

Old January 25th 05, 03:57 AM
Wound Up

> "Hucklebuck" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Okay, I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest. I already know I can
>>**** farther.
>>How do I know it was obviously a typo... try this out for me. Open your
>>best most expensive word processing program. Type in there "concours".
>>Now hit the SPELL CHECK button. Tell me what happens. If the guy had
>>half a brain and decided to spell check his web page before he posted it
>>so that a simple mistake like tihs didn't end up in his page, he
>>probably unknowingly correct the word "concours" for "concourse" [sic]
>><-- how do ya like that one
>>Sorry I didn't know what [sic] means, I'm a soldier, I'm paid to kill,
>>not to learn how to write like a journalist.

> ROTFLMAO!!! You rely on Spell Check? One of the most worthless programs
> there is, second only to any grammar checking software.

I knew of a foreign national at my alma mater who used spell check, the
word processor's thesaurus (to jazz it up) and then grammar check, and
once the paper was "complete", it was utter gibberish. Some of the
quotes from it were priceless... I wish I had gotten a copy.