Wrecked NB question :(

Old January 21st 05, 08:18 PM
Biz

Write-off is currently around 80%-85% of vehicle's residual value for most
insurance companies. If the repair costs are getting close to the write-off
value, some insurance companies will thankfully de-value the car a little to
make sure its gets totalled by the numbers. On a new car, 80-85% is alot of
damage....

"Tim Wohlford" > wrote in message
> Did the air bags go off? I've found out that for vehicles over 3 years

old
> (or not a high-value car) that if the air bags go off the insurance people
> routinely write off the car. In the case of a Dodge that I wrecked, the

air
> bag damage was over $6000 on its own.
>
> As is pointed out, you don't have a frame on that car. It is a "unibody"
> like 90% of the cars on the market (100% of compact cars). It's basically

> metal box with tires and a motor. If they can make it "square" again they
> you're all set.
>
> One can fix any car, no matter how bad the damage. However, the value of
> your car will probably be eclipsed by the repair costs, and therefore it
> will be written off.
>
> Tim Wohlford
>

> "Terry Thompson" > wrote in message
> > Hi all... it's been a sad couple of days here! I decided to back out

into
> > the road and was promptly hit by a lovely Jeep Cherokee! The rear
> > passenger
> > quarter panel is blown to bits. The tire was busted... back 'bumper' is
> > busted ... My hubby put the spare on then drove off to test it out.

He
> > said it is a mess!!! He said it may have "bent the frame". He

described
> > it
> > as going sideways while driving straight! YIKES!
> >
> > I know I'll have to have a body shop do an estimate and all. But I'm
> > wondering if there's even any hope! She doesn't look like she's

totaled,

Old January 21st 05, 08:40 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Biz wrote:

>Write-off is currently around 80%-85% of vehicle's residual value for most
>insurance companies. If the repair costs are getting close to the write-off
>value, some insurance companies will thankfully de-value the car a little to
>make sure its gets totalled by the numbers. On a new car, 80-85% is alot of
>damage....

The post did not say there was collision insurance on the car, so
that may not matter.

Old January 21st 05, 11:29 PM
Nathan Lucas

the main thing i don't get with some of these is the amount of hassle people
go to! not so long back i watched a guy remove the entire side fom a ford
focus in a breakers yard. he carefully drilled out every single spot weld
after stripping all the interior and removeable body panels. he paid £700
for the panel. if you add up what all his time would be worth, the cost of
the panel, and spraying the car afterwards, he could just go to a 2nd hand
dealer and buy one of the same age for similar money!

Old January 22nd 05, 07:43 AM
Rob Guenther

Yup, I don't get it either, some people must do it for the challenge.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:30 PM

Terry Thompson wrote:

> Hi all... it's been a sad couple of days here! I decided to back out into
> the road and was promptly hit by a lovely Jeep Cherokee! The rear passenger
> quarter panel is blown to bits. The tire was busted... back 'bumper' is
> busted ... My hubby put the spare on then drove off to test it out. He
> said it is a mess!!! He said it may have "bent the frame". He described it
> as going sideways while driving straight! YIKES!
>
> I know I'll have to have a body shop do an estimate and all. But I'm
> wondering if there's even any hope! She doesn't look like she's totaled,
> but will they be able to tell for sure and fix it properly??
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has had this experience?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Robin

I experienced a total loss collision on a 2001 Passat at the end of 2003
(much different scenario...mine was a front end impact, and once the air
bags deploy, you are rapidly on the way to a total loss).

My insurance company declared it a total loss once the estimated cost of
repairs reached 75% of the current value of the car (insurance companies
use their own value standard....I found it surprisingly generous --to my
benefit-- compared to the values I found in the usual places, like KBB).

At the time this happened, I had a student in a class I teach who worked
in an auto body shop. The bottom line is that airbags and crumple zones
are wonderful for people...but have pretty much created what his
industry refers to "disposable cars".

Obviously every situation is different. Assuming you were still carrying
collision, you WANT a total loss (unless, of course, your loan balance
is more than your car is worth). Because even if it can be repaired, it
will never, ever be the same. And if you try to sell it and the buyer
spends the $20 for a Carfax report...the VIN of your major collision
repair will show up, and either deter the seller or give them great
leverage for a discount.

Total loss is your freind!

Old January 24th 05, 12:33 AM
Peter Parker

In article >,
Terry Thompson > wrote:
>Hi all... it's been a sad couple of days here! I decided to back out into
>the road and was promptly hit by a lovely Jeep Cherokee! The rear passenger
>quarter panel is blown to bits. The tire was busted... back 'bumper' is
>busted ... My hubby put the spare on then drove off to test it out. He
>said it is a mess!!! He said it may have "bent the frame". He described it
>as going sideways while driving straight! YIKES!
>
>I know I'll have to have a body shop do an estimate and all. But I'm
>wondering if there's even any hope! She doesn't look like she's totaled,
>but will they be able to tell for sure and fix it properly??

No they are not going to total it if your "hubby" (sic) could test drive it...

>I'm just wondering if anyone has had this experience?

Lots and lots. Check the body shops after a nice snow fall.
--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...