What cheap 4x4 should i get?

Old February 4th 04, 03:25 PM
DemonTraitor

Default What cheap 4x4 should i get?

Hi

I am thinking of getting a 4x4 to use for shooting and outdoor trips.
I currently own an MGZS, which, as you can imagine is suffering going
down muddy tracks etc. I want something very very cheap to buy and run
but also very reliable. The vehicle is going to be used off road
across pot-holed muddy tracks, fields and through forrests and is
never going to see a school run. I would like room for at least 4
people, plus some gear.

I have been looking at some Land Rover Series I and II on the web and
they do look very tempting.

In essence I am after:

a diesel
don't matter if it is permenant 4WD or not.
under £1000 to buy
very low insurance group
no fancy gizmos
no "need for speed"

can anyone offer any advice?

-Demon -UK
Old February 5th 04, 03:00 PM
Mike Hall

"DemonTraitor" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
>
> I am thinking of getting a 4x4 to use for shooting and outdoor trips.
> I currently own an MGZS, which, as you can imagine is suffering going
> down muddy tracks etc. I want something very very cheap to buy and run
> but also very reliable. The vehicle is going to be used off road
> across pot-holed muddy tracks, fields and through forrests and is
> never going to see a school run. I would like room for at least 4
> people, plus some gear.
>
> I have been looking at some Land Rover Series I and II on the web and
> they do look very tempting.
>
> In essence I am after:
>
> a diesel
> don't matter if it is permenant 4WD or not.
> under £1000 to buy
> very low insurance group
> no fancy gizmos
> no "need for speed"
>
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> -Demon -UK

At that kind of price, I would have thought that you will only get something
suitable for spares

Old February 5th 04, 03:00 PM
Mike Hall

Old February 5th 04, 09:39 PM
Exit

DemonTraitor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am thinking of getting a 4x4 to use for shooting and outdoor trips.
> I currently own an MGZS, which, as you can imagine is suffering going
> down muddy tracks etc. I want something very very cheap to buy and run
> but also very reliable. The vehicle is going to be used off road
> across pot-holed muddy tracks, fields and through forrests and is
> never going to see a school run. I would like room for at least 4
> people, plus some gear.
>
> I have been looking at some Land Rover Series I and II on the web and
> they do look very tempting.
>
> In essence I am after:
>
> a diesel
> don't matter if it is permenant 4WD or not.
> under £1000 to buy
> very low insurance group
> no fancy gizmos
> no "need for speed"
>
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> -Demon -UK

There are loads of Series II and III Land Rovers around for that money - you
should find a fit one easily with a years MOT and lots of life left in it.

The only other possible is a Suzuki but you won't get a diesel.

--
Julian
---------

Old February 5th 04, 09:39 PM
Exit

Old February 6th 04, 11:20 AM
DemonTraitor

Ok. so if i got a 4x4 as cheap as possible, what model is the cheapest
to maintain - i.e. spares etc. Our family will ultimately have three
cars (My MGZS, 4x4, and her whatever she gets).

Thanks

Old February 6th 04, 11:20 AM
DemonTraitor

Old February 7th 04, 10:59 PM
rnf2

"DemonTraitor" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
>
> I am thinking of getting a 4x4 to use for shooting and outdoor trips.
> I currently own an MGZS, which, as you can imagine is suffering going
> down muddy tracks etc. I want something very very cheap to buy and run
> but also very reliable. The vehicle is going to be used off road
> across pot-holed muddy tracks, fields and through forrests and is
> never going to see a school run. I would like room for at least 4
> people, plus some gear.
>
> I have been looking at some Land Rover Series I and II on the web and
> they do look very tempting.
>
> In essence I am after:
>
> a diesel
> don't matter if it is permenant 4WD or not.
> under £1000 to buy
> very low insurance group
> no fancy gizmos
> no "need for speed"
>
> can anyone offer any advice?
>
> -Demon -UK

maybe a late 80s trooper/bighorn?

not sure what sort of money they would cost. but I like em.

rhys

Old February 7th 04, 10:59 PM
rnf2